Simcut

BF3 Addict
1 September 2007
Hertfordshire, England
Newcastle & Barnet
Hi all

Hoping someone can help with this.

I have a PS3 80gb (CECHK03) and play on a Sony Bravia 37" KDL-37V4000

I am experiencing the following issues with my PS3.

1) Low Audio volume on Games, etc. I have to turn the volume up from 20 for normal TV to about 30-35 to hear things reasonably, which is annoying cause when I go back to watching Sky TV my ears will explode :p

2) Slow slugging performance on some games (PES2009 for example, on the intro when players walk out and on Replays and on the PES2010 Demo - I don't have PES2010 for the PS3, only for PC), seems to be the games that run on 720p that have an issue.

Now I understand that my HDTV doesnt support 1080p, instead it uses 1080i. That shouldn't really affect performance, it's just 1080i is less impressive visually than 1080p, right?

Are both the issues as a result of a poor HDMI Cable? I am using a Nikkai HDMI Cable at the moment, which has a silver connector, not Gold.

Wondered if anyone could suggest what I can do to improve game performance and resolve the low sound issue.

Any questions please ask and I'll tell you.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Did you check that your PS3 isn't trying to output at 1080p? So the 1080p check box is unticked in Display Settings? Don't know why that'd impact sound; I assume you're telling your PS3 to output stereo. Some TVs have a channel-by-channel audio settings tweak to balance volumes - dunno if your Sky hardware has that option.

In case you haven't guessed I don't have a clue why this is happening! Just trying stuff. I'm saving "off and on again" for later..

Last edited:
Did you check that your PS3 isn't trying to output at 1080p? So the 1080p check box is unticked in Display Settings? Don't know why that'd impact sound; I assume you're telling your PS3 to output stereo. Some TVs have a channel-by-channel audio settings tweak to balance volumes - dunno if your Sky hardware has that option.

In case you haven't guessed I don't have a clue why this is happening! Just trying stuff. I'm saving "off and on again" for later..

1080p is unticked in Display Settings.

I have 720p & 1080i ticked.

btw, my HDMI cable is HDMI to HDMI.

Can you guide me on how I tell the PS3 to output stereo?

If you kept the old composite cables that came with the ps3 (the ones the PS2 used) you could always try sending video out from hmdi but choose audio to output from composite instead and see if that makes a difference.

I've heard of issues before with PS3 trying to send 5.1 through hdmi even though theres no audio system attached.

So add the old style PS2 connector from your PS3 to TV. Navigate to settings > Audio Settings > Audio Output > Composite

See if that makes any difference.

I've always found the hdmi sound to be low on all my gadgets. PS3, media players, it's always low and needs to be turned up. I alsohave my PS3 on digital out and that's a bit louder so I've so far assumed it's just the hdmi output.

As for the slow performance, have you tried other games? I seem to remember hearing a lot of complaints about framerate issues with pes08 on the ps3.

Just been looking on google and it would appear that my HDTV isnt set up correctly, so the settings are too high and are causing performance issues for the ps3.

I'm assuming the settings are close to what mine are seeing as their both bravia's. I bring up scene select and have it on Cinema.

I use these:

Pic Mode: Cinema
Backlight: 4
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 82
Colour: 52
Colour Temp: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min

Then turn all enhancers off, so mpeg noise reduction etc turn them all off. If you have advanced settings, i also set Gamma: -2 with black corrector, live colour, clear white etc all turned off.

If you're used to out of the box settings, these may look too yellow an dark but stick with them, as it makes the image a hell of a lot crisper and gives more detail.

I've just looked at my HDTV's manual and I get the following options on the Picture Adjustment menu.

Picture Mode: Vivid / Standard / Cinema

Backlight:
Contrast:
Brightness:
Colour:
Sharpness:
Colour Tone: Cool / Neutral / Warm
Noise Reduction: Auto / High / Mid / Low / Off
Advanced Contrast Enhancer: On / Off

I'm getting really annoyed with the poor FPS :(

I can confidently say that the HDMI cable is not the cause of your problems, so rule that out. Gold connectors make no difference and a £10 cable will give the same performance as a £100 Monster cable as it's a digital signal after all.

I would set your PS3 to output 1080p, and let your TV use it's internal scaler to downscale the signal. Also try turning off any picture enhancing options like digital noise reduction and 100Hz mode if your TV has it. Does your TV have a game mode you can try?

I can confidently say that the HDMI cable is not the cause of your problems, so rule that out. Gold connectors make no difference and a £10 cable will give the same performance as a £100 Monster cable as it's a digital signal after all.

I would set your PS3 to output 1080p, and let your TV use it's internal scaler to downscale the signal. Also try turning off any picture enhancing options like digital noise reduction and 100Hz mode if your TV has it. Does your TV have a game mode you can try?

Okay, good to know the HDMI cable won't affect performance, I have a Nikkai HDMI Cable and the reviews seemed to be good for that on the net.

Well, you see, I ticked 1080p output and then my display went blank afterwards :( seems like it only supports 1080i and below.

I've turned off noise reduction but it doesnt make much of a difference, I dont have a 100hz mode to turn off, either.

The TV has 3 modes, Vivid, Standard & Cinema.

Do you still get the problem when the PS3 is set to 720p? The vast majority of PS3 games are 720p, very few are 1080p.

Yes, the game drops down from 1080i to 720p when I run it, general gameplay is fine and does not stutter, it's just the close ups during the cinematics and also during the manual replays where you have full control, also on the replays of fouls and goals :(

Yes, the game drops down from 1080i to 720p when I run it, general gameplay is fine and does not stutter, it's just the close ups during the cinematics and also during the manual replays where you have full control, also on the replays of fouls and goals :(

I don't know what to suggest, that's a really odd problem. You could try joining up at AVForums and posting the problem over there. I'm a member there and I'd say that's your best bet for advice. They have a PS3 section or an LCD TV section (there will be a specific thread for owners of your model of Bravia) so you could try your luck over there. They are a very knowledgeable and helpful bunch.

I don't know what to suggest, that's a really odd problem. You could try joining up at AVForums and posting the problem over there. I'm a member there and I'd say that's your best bet for advice. They have a PS3 section or an LCD TV section (there will be a specific thread for owners of your model of Bravia) so you could try your luck over there. They are a very knowledgeable and helpful bunch.

Thanks man, will do. Great taste by the way, Eliza Dushku is H.O.T. :P

Did you ever find out the cause of your problem?

Hey man

I've been looking on avforums, I've found a couple of threads with some recommended settings, will see if that makes any difference at all. Am also going to force my ps3 to display at 720p (unticking 1080i, see if that helps.

Do you know the problem I mean? it's driving me nuts. Get a really bad frames per second drop on replays (where you manually control them) and on the intro. Seems to happen when the the stadium floodlight is visible.

:( hope I can fix it.

Hey man

I've been looking on avforums, I've found a couple of threads with some recommended settings, will see if that makes any difference at all. Am also going to force my ps3 to display at 720p (unticking 1080i, see if that helps.

Do you know the problem I mean? it's driving me nuts. Get a really bad frames per second drop on replays (where you manually control them) and on the intro. Seems to happen when the the stadium floodlight is visible.

:( hope I can fix it.

No, sorry, that's new to me, not heard of that one before. I'm one my second Toshiba LCD and I've never seen anything like you describe. It's probably worth giving 720p a try as nearly all PS3 games are made in that resolution anyway.

No, sorry, that's new to me, not heard of that one before. I'm one my second Toshiba LCD and I've never seen anything like you describe. It's probably worth giving 720p a try as nearly all PS3 games are made in that resolution anyway.

Damn.

I've tried looking all over google and cant find anything :(

Oh well, if these things don't work I'm gonna shed a tear :'(

Back
Top Bottom