Poll: Patches and piracy??

Does patches (GFX/translation) affects Winning Eleven sales?

• Only reduce sales, affecting Konami.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fernando, I dont think it does affect sales. I think quite the opposite. When people see what you can do when you patch games like Winning Eleven 10 it makes them want to get the game more. Especially when your English Translation patch came out :) WE10 just had to be a game to buy back then.

I don't think patches affect the game's sales. If every team was unlicensed then we would all still buy it for the gameplay - or so everybody says. ;) But seriously, all the same people would buy the game, and then just hope for a patch to be released at a later date. And of the people I know, most buy the game to play with edited option files for a few weeks before any patches arrive on the scene.

That's for PES I mean - as DJ says above, they then sell hundreds of thousands of Winning Eleven each year as well, patiently waiting for an English translation.

So no, I don't think it affects their sales in a negative way - if anything, it might actually boost sales. Someone browsing this forum and seeing their favourite team decked out in their proper kits could then want to go and buy the game when they wouldn't have before. If it wasn't for Titch's English lower-league option file for PES6 (PS2) then I wouldn't still be playing the game.

but when you can get it so easily from the same method as obtaining a patch(bittorent) it makes it all to easy to download and use. With the ease of ps2 modding(hard drive, hd advance) any computer literate yahoo can donwload and play any game they want for free. I think patches are great, dont get me wrong. BUt once johnny firgure out how to bittorent a patch, then he thinks hmmmmmmm shit i might as well download the latest game as well!D

Well we're in the age now where modding your console is going to get you in hot water. You mod your 360 (or in my case, if you don't), you get banned from Xbox Live. You've just threw away your £40 subscription money and, if you want to play on Xbox Live ever again, £300-worth of console. Plus you'll have to go out and buy all the games you want to play which will cost you God knows how much, and take you a fair few months.

The PS3 will go the same way, and if modding is anywhere near as popular after a million of them get banned, I'd be very surprised.

@JB or you risk bricking your console to mod it so that you can play a Patched PES. I dont think Piracy is encouraged by patches such as the ones you can find here and even on utorrent.Obviously what encourages Piracy is seeing a torrent of PESX (x = what ever version) available to download.

Well we're in the age now where modding your console is going to get you in hot water. You mod your 360 (or in my case, if you don't), you get banned from Xbox Live. You've just threw away your £40 subscription money and, if you want to play on Xbox Live ever again, £300-worth of console. Plus you'll have to go out and buy all the games you want to play which will cost you God knows how much, and take you a fair few months.

The PS3 will go the same way, and if modding is anywhere near as popular after a million of them get banned, I'd be very surprised.

ps3 will be modable without being bannend, im sure of it.. Hong Kong/china stands to lose too much money if not... think about that

gomito if I were you id think about what you just said. I highly doubt PS3's will be moddable without bans. The PS2 wouldnt allow you to play Copied games online....

gomito if I were you id think about what you just said. I highly doubt PS3's will be moddable without bans. The PS2 wouldnt allow you to play Copied games online....

sure but they never bannend anyone, you could put the chip in sleep mode. It will be the same, copied games wont be able to go online, but sureley you can play them offline. China and russia have too much to lose over this... they will fund the piraters to make sure it happens. China and russia basically rape the game and movie industry which supports a huge pirate industry in those countries.

I'd go for number 3. Living where i live, the only football game we play is Winning Eleven/Pro Evo Soccer; Fifa peeps are scarce. Copies of WE/PES patches are sold legally and openly at a number of electronics/games stores. Therefore, i can only conclude that this definitely "Reduce sales but increase game popularity".

Edit: About playing online, I myself play online with my "Copy and patched" game. Its all about the DNAS ;)

Lami, im pretty sure Sony will put a stop to that.. MS Style :) there is no way they will allow (what appears to be) illegal copied versions of games to be played online.. if they do that then they are pretty stupid!. Also with these patches and things you could make drastic changes to the param.dat file (default option file I think) and you could cheat online! I seriously dont think Sony will ignore this.

I don't think there is a negative effect on sales to Konami. People will buy the game regardless due to it's consistency in being a simulation of football (rather than arcade which in inherently true of FIFA).

I rely on Fernando's translation, and then start my stadiums from there - always have done. It improves the game from my point of view and more realistic. I then release this as a patch for 'free'.

However, the cloud on uncertainty arises when people such as WEAMERICA collect various patches from people on here, and then proceed to sell the end product, thus making illicit profit from another persons (KONAMI's) intellectual property.

I bought WE10 and then used the translation patch that Fernando did and I already pre-oredered JL WE 2007 CC and will do the same if a translation patch is made available. I think a lot people like to have the original for the box art and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom