playing against a friend in cup mode?

mr5973

League 2
25 April 2002
Vienna, Austria
England
i really think pes2008 is the worst pes-game in years: not only did they take out the world-tour-mode, not only does online play suck, not only is there terrible slow down in all games... no, konami even mangaged to take out the possibility to play against a human opponent in cup and league mode! they did this already with pes2 on the playstation2 and now they did it again:

when you want to play a world cup against a friend (you are team x, he is playing with team z) it was always possible to play EVERY game against each other - if you were playing with your team x, the other player was always able to play the other team (not team z!) by moving the controler on the player settings to the other team. not they have taken this out and you are not longer able to play a whole cup or league!

does anybody know a trick or a cheat to this?
can this feature be adresses in a patch?

please help me as this feature was always the one for me!
thanks

... does anybody know a trick or a cheat to this?

Yes.

Set the number of Players the same as the number of Teams.

This way, the game will allow a human player to control every team in the competition and there will be no AI controlled teams in any of the matches.

Oh, and by the way, if you DO then want to play a game against the AI for some reason, just set the opposition to Coach Mode.

Last edited:
Yes.

Set the number of Players the same as the number of Teams.

This way, the game will allow a human player to control every team in the competition and there will be no AI controlled teams in any of the matches.

Oh, and by the way, if you DO then want to play a game against the AI for some reason, just set the opposition to Coach Mode.

first, thanks for your answer.
of course you can set the number of players the same as the number of teams.
but this doesnt work with 2 players because the smallest team number you can select is 3. so that means that you have to play with at least 3 players to get a cup or league going? so cups and leagues are only possible with 3 players anymore. great...

first, thanks for your answer.
of course you can set the number of players the same as the number of teams.
but this doesnt work with 2 players because the smallest team number you can select is 3. so that means that you have to play with at least 3 players to get a cup or league going? so cups and leagues are only possible with 3 players anymore. great...

No, you don't have to have three or more players, you can still do it with two.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, it is possible so I'll have another go at explaining. :)

Let's say you want a cup competition with 8 teams and two human players, using two controllers.

When you set the game up, you select the 8 teams you want but you also select 8 players as well (even though there are only two of you playing).

Now, when each match comes up, you will notice that both sides in every match are allocated to controllers - none are controlled by the AI. This means that you and your friend can play against each other in every match throughout the competition ...

... unless that's not what you're trying to do?

No, you don't have to have three or more players, you can still do it with two.

Unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, it is possible so I'll have another go at explaining. :)

Let's say you want a cup competition with 8 teams and two human players, using two controllers.

When you set the game up, you select the 8 teams you want but you also select 8 players as well (even though there are only two of you playing).

Now, when each match comes up, you will notice that both sides in every match are allocated to controllers - none are controlled by the AI. This means that you and your friend can play against each other in every match throughout the competition ...

... unless that's not what you're trying to do?

thanks, but i´m indeed trying to do another thing:
i want to play a full 32-nations-world-cup and i want to be one team (say england) and my friend wants to be another team (say turkey). so england goes to group 1 in the world cup, turkey to eg. group 5. when the tournament starts, the first game is played with england against any other team that is in group 1. so i controll england, my friend wants to controll the other team from group 1. that was possible until now but not anymore in pes2008 - i have to play against any team from group 1 alone, the CPU controlling the other team, not my friend!

second game is the first game for turkey, which plays against any team from group 5. same problem here: you can only controll turkey with player one, not the team turkey is playing against with player two.

i know the whole thing is difficult to explain, but if you do your cup with 2 players (but actually 8 teams), you not only have to play the games involving england and turkey but also every other match that will take places between the 8 teams (and we are not really interested in games that takes place between teams other than england or turkey - in pes6 the other results of all the other games (non-english, non-turkey) were not played by the players but the CPU presented us the results at the end of each round).

was i able to make myself clear? i know its difficult to explain..

neverthless: it isnt able to play a full world cup (with 32 teams) when playing with only two players - if you dont want to play all the games of the tournament...

if anybody knows a solution to this: please help!

i know the whole thing is difficult to explain, but if you do your cup with 2 players (but actually 8 teams), you not only have to play the games involving england and turkey but also every other match that will take places between the 8 teams (and we are not really interested in games that takes place between teams other than england or turkey - in pes6 the other results of all the other games (non-english, non-turkey) were not played by the players but the CPU presented us the results at the end of each round).

was i able to make myself clear? i know its difficult to explain..

neverthless: it isnt able to play a full world cup (with 32 teams) when playing with only two players - if you dont want to play all the games of the tournament...

Ah OK, I understand now.

It's a pity PES 2008 won't let you do that. :(

I totally agree with you, this option of theirs to disable this is a real let down, and when I e-mailed them about it - they just said: Sorry you can't play 2 vs 2 in online mode, not once did I mention 2 vs 2 nor online. So they pretty much don't give a damn

funny...
in the ps2 version it´s still able to play with a friend!
i think i will just play the ps2 version when playing with friends as - it´s such a shame, really!

after almost half a year later, did anyone find out about a way to play in cup mode against a friend in the PLAYSTATION 3 (!) version?
your help would be very appriciated!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom