Places to visit in London

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Thinking of taking a pre-xmas trip to London to do some shopping etc with the missus.

Anyone know the best places to go this time of year in regards of seeing the xmas lights etc?

Carnaby Street always has nice decorations/lights. This year they made a big deal out of Westfield's Xmas lights - they had Rihanna turn them on. There's the usual Regent Street and Oxford Street ones too.

I've always thought Tower Hill was nice around Christmas, also because of the skating ring right by Tower Bridge and the actual fort.

Canary Wharf is lovely at Christmas. You do a nice bit of shopping in there and then have a lovely meal in the restaurants around it :TU:.

Cheers guys - will check those out for sure!

Didnt realise Thursday was the day of the bloody student marches though :( Always fuck something up I do!

Anybody know where the student marches are going to be centered on tomorrow and where best to avoid etc?

From what I can find out Parliament Square will be a no-no, so that rules out a trip to Oxford Street :(

Canary Wharf is going away from that direction, so that might be ok.

Dreading it now to be honest! I dont know my way round London too well, so we usually just scoot around on the underground without a sense of direction, but given that there could be trouble going off in all directions tomorrow and I'm meant to be doing this trip to help my missus with some problems she is having - I'm at a bit of loss of how to keep it 'enjoyable'.

Any help most appreciated London boys!

Covent Garden will be good to go probably, always a great place around xmas with performers etc. My wife works there (although Thursday is her day off) and they had no trouble there with the last protest.

Hyde park they are doing a Winter Wonderland thing with rides etc. So that might be nice, although it might be centered around those with young kids a bit more. But it should be fun nonetheless.

Walk along the South bank is nice aswell, some performers and such also the London eye at the end of it and seaworld or whatever it is.

Also the Tower of london as Stef suggested.

Enjoy matey!

If you go to Hyde Park, you could then walk along to Knightsbridge and look at Harrods / Harvey Nics. Oxford Street should be ok, Regent Street has good lights, also Bond Street (Christopher Place and South Molton Street) are nice pedestrianised streets with lights on.

Oxford Street will be OK yeah. Harrods is well worth a visit, just get out at Knightsbridge tube station and it's right there as you walk up the stairs. I could EASILY spend an hour walking round Harrods alone!

I could EASILY spend an hour walking round Harrods alone!

oh_you.jpg

Cheers guys!

Bit of a lack of planning the night before in the end, meant we just went to Oxford Circus - had a wander up and down Oxford and Regeant Street. Nothing really spectacular (we'd been a few times before) as the lights weren't on yet, though it still looked nice.

Went into a few shops, but everywhere was too busy to enjoy.

Then went up to Canary Wharf and that was better. Lots of lights, nicely decorated shopping centres. Was absolutely rammed at around 2pm, but was much quieter (eerily so!) by 3pm.

Had lunch in Smollensky's bar in Canary Wharf which was a really nice bar.

Then had a bit more of a wander round and came home.

Shame as I say - wish I'd have planned some bits out a bit more and probably gone later as it would have been nice to see Oxford St with the lights on.

Anyways, didnt see any of the protests at all (apparently they rampaged through Oxford street a little while after we left?!) so that was one good thing.

Thanks for all the tips on places to go guys!

...but they speak French. It's debatable whether it is cheaper aswell? even if it is cheaper to stay still extremely expensive when out and about.....and they have hairy armpits.

Back
Top Bottom