PES2010 Online: How to beat the sprinters?

theCRO

Championship
6 April 2003
you are here ->
Yo everyone.

Like some of you, I play the game online and have NEVER chosen Barca, or Real or Brazil. But 90% of of my games are against these players.

But it's not so much that they have a good team with unstoppable players, it's that they exploit the flaws in Konamis game. Every counter they barrel at you from half way, do a diagonal sprint with Kaka/Messi/Ronaldo and out of 20 sprints per game, they're bound to get through at least 3-4 times.

This is especially highlighted because as an old school gamer, I absolutely kill them with passing and possesion, but one mistake (where Konami does it for you, mind you) and the counter is on all over again. I can't count the times they've stolen in 50 meters from goal and taken it all the way in without a defender going near the sprinter.

I've toyed with the formations, toyed with the team styles, tried to keep the backline deep, tried to attack through middle, offer more support, less support, but I still cop chepo goals from guys that can't pass 3 in a row and have 32% of the ball with Real fcuking Madrid against Sevilla or Juventus.

Has anyone found a magic formula?

Some way to inhibit the ronaldo/messi/kaka sprinter noobies that will FORCE them to pass, because otherwise they take defenders on and that's a sure fire way to make me punch the screen!

Any ideas?

Thanks

I would say use special control to keep at them and predict there runs. I play with Liverpool all the time, and the key is to not commit your defenders to soon at them otherwise you may get beat and leave space down the wings. I usually track them with mascherano (or sometimes Aquilani)leaving the LB or Rb back until i feel its the right time for them to close down and they will most likely try to cut in where the LB or RB would be there or try to cut back where mascherano will be there if he hasnt already intercepted them. Special Control is key to pick there runs by running into the angles really and closing them down but you should also look for the cutback also. BTW another tip is to bring your strikers back to defend to crowd them and narrow space.

Anyone got any more tips as there really are fast, It would be greatly apreciated.

BTW hopes this help.

I think that I have worked out a pretty effective way of playing against these type of people.

I normally prefer to play either 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2, what I do is make sure that the defenders stay as deep as possible, this then gives them no space to run into, you can bring your defenders across and tackle them easily as they approach the penalty box. Playing this way does leave a gap between the defence and midfield but it is rarely exposed by these "sprinters" as they only know one way of playing.

This has been very effective for me, I was getting sick and tired of playing Madrid every game, but now I can cope with it fairly well.

It's an important issue...How stop sprinters (in Italy we call them "corri corri" (runners):))...It's not easy but first of all

1) choose a team with good defence (Inter, Juve or Bordeaux)
2) put man-marking, (on messi, ronaldo, kakà and robinho even 2 defenders at the same time)
3) Sometimes good defence may be useless, so the only way to win is scoring more goals than your opponent (of course)...better if you score the first goal, so the mentality of your opponent players may decrease immediately and you will rule the match

I know it's obvious but it's the only way...
Unfortunately Real and Barca got strong defence too and we haven't got super runners palyers....So....what we have to do?
The answer is.....TRICKS!!!! (feints) I often use a feint wich make me get through 2 or 3 defenders...This feint is easy to make, you simply have to press with directional pad "forward and right (or left)" and (believe me) no one can stop you :BOP:then I use also shooting feint ("square" and "x") that is good on the wing and that is perfect to make goalkeeper sit down and beat him easly...SO MY IDEA IS "TECHNIQUE AGAINST SPRINTERS"...In Italy I met only 2 or 3 players using the first feint...So even it's easy to make I can say that few players use it

Don't get me wrong, I win a lot of games but now and again u come accross some wank with 660 points that just runs runs ruuuns it with Ronaldo etc. So I stay on his back, but he's too quick, then you pick the defender in front, but if he changes direction, even that defender who is in perfect position to shut him down becomes a non factor as Robaldo can sprint 15 meters in the time my defender sprints 10.

Konami are idiots for allowing this to happen.

I tried man marking but got burned..

Now I keep the defense back, spread play out and try to frustrate the barca/madrid whore with passing football and feints. But then the second problem with PES comes up, a perfectly timed feint sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Luck of the draw. And if it happens to be a winger that loses the ball because of a lightning quick (8 meters covered in 0.4 seconds) then you face that counter all over.

This is the guys that use the R2 button perfectly, nip it away in the perfect direction and outsprint everyone, even defenders in between themselves and the goal!!

Marking works quite well for me (as long as you carefully control the rest of the team and watch for gaps) along with what was said above, shadowing players with defenders and not committing yourself too early. Also using the player index and setting each player individually is good as well.

If you're finding some players a real handful, you can even set your wingers (if you're playing a 4-4-2, or ss's to balanced if 4-3-3) to defensive and loose marking, along with full backs on defensive and loose marking, with centre backs on tight marking. You can totally nullify some opponents and keep goals conceded to a minimum, hitting them on the counter. Most of the time you don't have to go to such extremes (I only usually mark with the back four).

Although they can be a pain, I've had good results against these type of players. Recently beating Brazil with Pompy and drawing against Real with Pompy, drawing against Inter with Bolton etc.

Last edited:
The game is pretty unbalanced. A noob gamer just needs to put Ronaldo in the front wait for the opponent to miss a pass and hit him in the counter. Honestly only scoring more goals then the opponent does the trick for you. It's pretty stupid that if you play the way football actually is played you won't be able to score many goals vs a good defence. :( Konami has to make players slower while running and tire faster when doing so. I have seen Ronaldo run from back-to-back without tiring many games it is just stupid.

Because they are quick as hell in dribbling, just DO NOT run towards them if they have the ball, try to step back as fast as you cans so he has to shoot from distance or pass.

1. Low Defence line
2. Press [] and use selecting player to tackle if they run

But still difficult to against Brazil because it is God team,
3 super-speed-man in a team :RANT:

Konami need to change the setting to Top Player for CPU Ai in a ranked match instead of the bullshit Regular setting. The defending is piss poor at best against these Gods.

Yep, that's another problem, defenders play on regular off the ball and thus leave the sprinters unmarked often.

Just beat Brazil 3-0 twice with Spain, they got 40% of the ball and took half a dozen long shots. Take that you noob sprinting whores!

Another option mate, although very unsportsmanlike, but what the hell, an eye for an eye an all that. Just snap the fuckers legs, the refs are so lenient you should get away with it more often than not. I took Ronaldo and Messi out of my ML Champs game after they took the piss. Both had to leave the pitch and neither were there for the return leg. :LOL:

No injuries online man, plus the ref's lenience depends on his mood..also you can't even catch the prick for a professional foul!

Damn you Konami!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being beaten by someone who actually plays football, or some lucky counter attacker, it's the sprinting with Barca/Madrid by guys who don't play football that pisses me off.

No injuries online man, plus the ref's lenience depends on his mood..also you can't even catch the prick for a professional foul!

Damn you Konami!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being beaten by someone who actually plays football, or some lucky counter attacker, it's the sprinting with Barca/Madrid by guys who don't play football that pisses me off.

Lets hope that PES sales plummit even more...The greater FIFA sales are the better PES will become im sure.

PS As we can see on Chart Track FIFA10 sales dominate....Im so happy!!!

That why I'm Still Play PES 6 online !!! There rely entirely on your skills , while here , at PES 2010 only skill you need to own is to pressing run... like it was in PES 2008 .
And yes, pes 2010 is deeper ...Deep as a toilet, climb just sh*t on the inside

Last edited:
err..despite the flaws and FIFA's years of copying PES, PES is still the deeper, better game.

Still imbalanced to the point of vomit....Online is a joke due to the OVEREMPHASIS on speed...
Only if KONAMI adapted one of the amazing Option Files in this site....

That why I'm Still Play PES 6 online !!! There rely entirely on your skills , while here , at PES 2010 only skill you need to own is to pressing run... like it was in PES 2008 .
And yes, pes 2010 is deeper ...Deep as a toilet, climb just sh*t on the inside

how u play it online ?
pls tell me

I thought PES 6, even though it had gameplay improvements over 5 was actually more arcadey, with increased dribbling speed and player running speed. If you know how to play Pes 2010 in the right way, it's even more satisfying and tactically in depth, or deeper than 5.

I'm not very wrong, seabass admitted it himself after too many people complained that 5 was too hard and defensive a.k.a realistic. He said that 'PES was always a game that favoured attacking play', and 6 reflected that by being faster and easier to dribble past defenders and score.

I thought PES 6, even though it had gameplay improvements over 5 was actually more arcadey, with increased dribbling speed and player running speed. If you know how to play Pes 2010 in the right way, it's even more satisfying and tactically in depth, or deeper than 5.

I agree wholeheartedly. With the player card system and tactics sliders, PES 2010 has added even more depth to a game that is founded on the tactical side of football. But most people who play 2010 are able to see and process what's on the screen faster than they can react on the gamepad, which may explain why people feel that the game seems unresponsive and jerky at times. Let's not forget that PES 2010 mimics the actual pace of football, which seems to make sense but doesn't seem to translate too well in a video game. With games like PES5/WE9LE/PES6, the game speed is faster, but it suited the game engine at the time because of hardware limitations.

Compared to FIFA though, people are very happy this year because FIFA has been building on next-gen gaming, and the animation system and fluidity of motion is very clear, though most PES diehards will agree that FIFA is more of a dribbler's game. Hopefully that news article I saw in the PES 2011 thread is a sign of things to come, with KONAMI moving away from its "Famicom" roots and getting on with the times.

Personally I think it's pretty amazing how changing something like dribble speed or game speed can completely throw off the magic balance that KONAMI achieved with WE9LE and threw away with subsequent variations.

One of the main reasons it is hard to tackle is that the collision detection is worse than last years. When Messi/Ronaldo/Pato has the ball they have no problems running through defences , even if you have 5 defenders around the ball. A lot of times Messi/Ronaldo/Pato will run through your player literally, just like they are invisible. When you view the replays you will see Messi's legs actually go through the other players leg/thigh.

When the games decides that Messi will beat your player no matter what you do he will get the ball. Such as players freezing on the spot, players slowing down even running away from the ball. Even when Messi loses the ball any rebound will go towards him.

When you compare PES5 to PES10 it seems that players in PES10 have no mass and momentum. If Messi collides with Drogba then Messi goes flying like PES5 yet in PES10 nothing happens.

Collision detection 1
Collision detection 2
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo phantom players
YouTube - PES5 tackle

I don't care what anyone says, there is no way to stop powerhouse teams such as: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Brazil and Argentina. These teams are just unstoppable. It doesn't matter what formation you use, what team you use, what defending settings you use, 3 out of 10 times, Messi or C.Ronaldo will score from a cutback or a header. The CPU just slows down your player on purpose while it fastens a good player i.e Messi, Etto, CR9, Pato, etc. Its a bug Konami should fix asap because it ruins the online gameplay. Konami should totaly re-build defense scheme and the way you defend and the way you take away the ball.

its sad how things changed

pes4 was so much fun online, pes 6 was fun 2on2, pes5 was decent

i wont even look at the news to the upcoming footy games, no expectations at all

Hi guys,

there are several ways to stop them. I myself play with Real because of the very nice passing skills (Xabi Alonso / Van der Vaart / Raul(!)).

First, a sprinter always has a point in his runnig, where he doesnt have immediate ball control. Anticipate and slide proves effective.
Second, to achieve this, you must totally avoid running at him. Runnig front to front against Messi or Ronaldo will result in being overrun. Make sure that about 2 to 3 metres before reaching him you pull back.
Third, the sprinter teams usually include a pass station (Messi - Ibrahimovic - shot/ header). This station itself cant pass that well, so you can attack this player!
Fourth, if being overrun, dont follow behind, but attack like a fighter. Take his side and wait for the weak moment, force him to play the ball. What may never appear is he running in the box at your baseline (almost sure goal).

In my games this proved effective, but of course, your team setup must be "in order". Hard finework awaits you, but then this wont prove a harm to you.

Clydefrog

ps: The running strategy is poor and proves absence of skill. Usually those guys will press and run for every man carrying the ball. Creative shortpassing and never(!) gamble with the ball in your defense will frustrate them. They will slide and slide and slide, then stay cool, pass the slides, play the deadly double pass and finish them.

Back
Top Bottom