PES 2017 challenge series

Camp-nou-match.jpg

Challenge 6 is probably the hardest we have had so far.

Real Socidad have had an outstanding season and are currently 5th in La Liga, 6 points behind Barcelona, who are 3rd. Last week Real Sociedad played the first leg of Copa del Rey quarter finals against Barca, losing 0-1 at home. Next Wednesday they will meet again at Camp Nou in the 2nd leg.

I am sure you already guessed what the challenge is.

• Challenge match: Barcelona (CPU) - Real Sociedad (PV Blue White, you).
  • Challenge settings: exhibition, player emotions off, Real Sociedad in good (green) condition, Barca in random condition.
  • Meeting the challenge: win.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win and score at least 2 goals.
Notice that the only way to meet the challenge and not exceed is to win 0-1, which would force extra time / penalties.

You're evil lol.

Challenge 3: professional, met and exceeded. Toure scored from a volley and Aguero made a tight spin inside the box and put the ball in bottom corner.

A surprisingly busy day, will return to other posts later.

20170121193625_1.jpg

Challenge 4 Perugia v Cesena Superstar manual
Great goal!

But hey: you just exceeded the challenge on the highest level. You rascal! Then what? I haven't had the time to check, but some say VS COM matches are harder than exhibitions. Try that in the next match.

BTW, that goal demonstrates how much better the balance is in exhibition matches: that header wouldn't happen against superstar in an ML until your TS would be quite high.

Great goal!

But hey: you just exceeded the challenge on the highest level. You rascal! Then what? I haven't had the time to check, but some say VS COM matches are harder than exhibitions. Try that in the next match.

BTW, that goal demonstrates how much better the balance is in exhibition matches: that header wouldn't happen against superstar in an ML until your TS would be quite high.

James I played a few more matches with Cesena and Perugia after that one and they were absolutely brilliant matches . .outstanding balanced football. .. ..what's vs com?

Challenge 4: top player, met but not exceeded.

I was safely 0-2 up, then the CPU brought in a CF who started playing in earnest. Another brilliant match.

20170122091818_1.jpg

Challenge 5: top player, met and exceeded.

20170122113727_1.jpg

I have a lot to say about this match. It is related to what Deco wrote above.

James I played a few more matches with Cesena and Perugia after that one and they were absolutely brilliant matches . .outstanding balanced football.

This. No scripting. Absolutely no weird events: no slowdowns, player freezes etc. Player id shines like a star. It is actually feasible to play a long ball from a goal kick if you have a tall / strong CF up front - in MLs it was pointless (at least until TS is really high). Fast players are truly fast.

I also played Challenge 5 multiple times, just enjoying how great the gameplay was. I also wanted to think about how to best play the game for maximum enjoyment and challenge. And I decided to return to how I played PES 2017 when it came out: in defense I only use x by pressing double-x; that is, I will not use single-x to pressure.

Why? Because, to be honest, there is a bug in CPU offensive AI which is particularly obvious in levels below superstar: CPU players will keep possession for too long, and it is too easy to steal the ball by applying x. This leads in particular to the CPU losing possession in their own half (the bug affects CPU defensive players the most), which results in cheap goals against the CPU. Double-x is different and also more risky.

By not applying prolonged pressure on CPU players, professional and top player become very enjoyable levels. I think this is a complete recipe for the remaining season.

There is no way I can return to MLs after this experience. The choices are to continue these challenges or to start emulating leagues with exhibition matches. I will continue with these challenges at least for a couple of weeks.

what's vs com?

When you select "Play match" from the main menu, you can either proceed to and exhibition or a versus match, where you can play against the CPU also in the latter. But we have to forget about versus, because it will only allow 10 minute matches (no idea why). So let's stick to exhibitions.

I will enjoy your latest highlights after lunch.

Bastia v Nice exhibition Superstar manual
Man, you're a true master of formation changes. Really liked that energetic and straightforward equalizer.

Unfortunately I reached superstar for challenge number 6. About to get completely annihilated in the next 30 minutes or so.

Man, you're a true master of formation changes. Really liked that energetic and straightforward equalizer.

Unfortunately I reached superstar for challenge number 6. About to get completely annihilated in the next 30 minutes or so.

The moment I switched to 4-3-3 my team sparked into life and Nice fell apart ha ha. . ..James ,that next challenge against Barcelona will be the hardest one yet . .gonna try it today.

Challenge 6: superstar, failed.

20170122154153_1.jpg

It wasn't as horrible as I expected, even though the stats are pretty grim. One of the best PES matches I have played.

We started with low A/D, counter target, tight marking and wingers marked with FBs. The first half was pretty ok. Early in the second half Barca subbed in both Messi and Iniesta, and then things started happening. We could no longer maintain possession for longer periods.

All through the match we tried hitting them with counters, but Barca defenders were marking their men pretty well. Two half chances, both missed.

At 80' Count Suarez was 1 vs 1 with our keeper but missed. At 85' I had to push up the A/D, because meeting the challenge required victory. That was too much. After we lost possession at 87', Messi made a piercing run into the box from the left wing; we had 2 defensive players on him, but both missed the pass. Messi shot to near bottom corner, 1-0 and challenge over.

Still, absolutely nothing overpowered or scripted, just a strong performance from Barca as you would expect.

Gonna stop playing and start developing new challenges.

Sigurdsson.jpg

Challenge 7 takes place in the Premier League again.

Yesterday Swansea made Jürgen Klopp look all gloomy by stealing full 3 points from Anfield. All 5 goals in the 2-3 result were scored within a short period in the 2nd half. Swansea stars were Llorente with 2 goals and Sigurdsson, while Firmino scored both of Pool's.

Your challenge is to similarly harass the father of gegenpressing.

• Challenge match: Liverpool (CPU) - Swansea (West Glamorgan City, you).
  • Challenge settings: exhibition match, player emotions off, both teams in random condition.
  • Meeting the challenge: don't lose.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win.

Really beautiful and fun thread :)
I not have much time , but one day i will try all the challenge :)

Cuplikan-Gol-Athletic-Bilbao-2-2-Atletico-Madrid-La-Liga-640x288.jpg

Challenge 8 takes place on a Sunday night in Spain. Last weekend Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid played a fine game of football, where for a while it looked like Bilbao might take full points - until Griezmann fired a superb low and hard shot to bottom corner from 25 meters to make it 2-2.

Can you keep Griezmann, Torres and others at bay?

• Challenge match: Athletic Bilbao (PV White Red, you) - Atletico Madrid (CPU).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random form.

Southampton-Leicester-2017.jpg

In challenge 9 you have a chance to take it all out on last season's champions.

Last weekend, in sunny Southampton, the home team beat Leicester 3-0. Champions losing like this has almost been the norm this season. However, if Vardy and Mahrez are given any room to rummage, they can still play just as well as last year - as Man City learned in their 4-2 defeat.

How much deeper can you dig the hole of the reigning champions?

• Challenge match: Southampton (Hampshire Red, you) - Leicester (East Midlands, CPU).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, Leicester in poor condition (45-degrees down arrow), Southampton in random condition.
  • Meeting the challenge: win.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win by a margin of at least 2 goals.

Played challenge 7 (Liv-Swa as Swa) a number of times today, on top player. Enjoyed it immensely again. Lost some, tied some, eventually won one. Left the screenshot on my PC, so can't post it from my phone right now. I think I am going to continue losing some matches against top player, but won't drop to professional anymore. So will be switching between top player and superstar depending on results.

CPU made some marvelous offensive moves. Most memorable was a nice combo through the center, including a back heel and an intelligent run by Lallana that ended in him stretching one leg to put the ball in my net. Also had some serious trouble escaping Klopp's gegenpressing. Impressive.

Last edited:
i

Challenge 10 makes you face one of the most expensive teams in the world.

Stoke endured the hammering by Manchester United admirably on Saturday. Stoke were leading 1-0 with attempts something like 5-25 at the end of the second half. At which point Rooney stepped up and scored a marvelous free kick to become the highest scoring United player ever. End result 1-1.

Fancy practicing some defending?

• Challenge match: Stoke (St Red, you) - Manchester United (Man Red, CPU).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random condition.

Ok, where to begin? Which difficult? and Wich challenge? I have to follow some order?
I've started just one week ago with full manual, (really different and hard, but more enjoyable and unpredictable), some advice?

Great moment when the Pool defender headed away that attempt. :TU:

To be honest James I'm getting a lot of luck . . .I left the formations as default with Sociedad and Swansea .. but made a sub for each team and the two of them got the winners. My luck has to run out. .. .that header off the line .. I thought it hit the croassbar ha ha.
Ok, where to begin? Which difficult? and Wich challenge? I have to follow some order?
I've started just one week ago with full manual, (really different and hard, but more enjoyable and unpredictable), some advice?

Start on the first challenge kilay . .it's on professional . .try get used to manual.

The first challenge is in the opening post of this thread. Just edited it so that the challenge is described in the same format as the others.

There is no strict way to take part, so feel free to play the challenges in a different order or skip some if you want to.

First advice: prepare to be completely immersed in a brilliant game. Second advice: watch Deco's highlights.

I think in general you have to be more aware of open space, because you need more of it. And patient, because if you hurry or try to push it, you will have too little space to work with.

Many of the challenges we have had so far are from the Premier League. Not only because I am well aware of what is happening there, but also because the old saying that in the PL "anyone can beat anyone" isn't bogus.

For example in Eredivisie (Netherlands) top 3 teams won their matches in this round. Ligue 1 and Serie A were pretty straightforward too. However, I will try to add some variation. Also, leagues will start rolling again in Argentina and Chile (fully licensed), which will provide great matches for us.

If you have a challenge you would like to be included, just let me know. Or, even better, post the challenge here yourself.

6609054_toudic-brest_1000x625.jpg

Challenge 11 is played in Ligue 2 in France, where the battle for the warmth of League 1 is fierce. Yesterday in Brest supporters of the home team were shocked when the league leaders lost to the visiting Red Star (16th in the league) 0-1.

Your challenge is to lead the Red Star to similar joy as expressed by goal scorer Toudic above.

• Challenge match: Stade Brestois (CPU) - Red Star (you).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random condition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom