Only 0,5 percent of players play PES 2016 with PA off.

Caniggia

League 1
25 February 2002
Helsingborg
So I got confirmation on this a few days ago.
I play with passing assistance off which creates a much more diverse game where the tactical side, all out defense and conservative approach actually works.

What's your take on it?

Wow, are you sure? That's insane!
I figured at least ~ 1/4th of people would play manual. Personally, I think (proper) passing is half of the fun of the game. Full auto has it's charm, but it basically means the gameplay comes down to 'macro' tactical choices of whom should receive the ball, instead of how/where they should receive it :)

So I got confirmation on this a few days ago.
I play with passing assistance off which creates a much more diverse game where the tactical side, all out defense and conservative approach actually works.

What's your take on it?

where did u get that information?

if konami just made manual default a lot more ppl would try it, i'm sure. or even better, remove assistance completely from the game!

If that number is true, I'm sad. Where is that statistic from?

I thought it was growing, no? A few years back it was difficult to find anyone at all. Now at least there's a manual thread on most pes forums.

By the way, I think you are right about the tactics. It makes the game much deeper in making you think how to utilize your teams positioning and numeric advantage, rather than just bypassing the whole "trouble" area with a few auto passes.

Come to think of it, 0.5% sounds about right. 5 manual players out of every 1000. Within expectation I guess.

Care to share some insights/understanding on the key things that make all out defense and conservative approach possible (formation shapes, player abilities, player roles+positioning, formation instructions etc.). I've been trying to watch every game I play (play 1 game -> watch 1 game), I learnt a few things, but still don't know much. What is macro/micro decisions in tactics anyway?

I don’t really understand the tactical instruction side of the game as well as Klashman does. I understand that the tactics thread is for COM settings, and I tried to learned some principles of it last year (I probably never got them right...). But I sometimes feel, for games involving human vs human, it largely comes down to both teams’ tactics, and where the key events/situations develop. For example, before kick off, I'll try to make tactics that should work on paper, but sometimes the game doesn’t unfold the way we want them to, so I’ll have to adapt organically. Which…is just a slow learning process. I'm not sure if I believe in complete formulas at this point.

I made a video of my thought process here. It’s from my league game last month (1st part is pre-game prep, 2nd part is execution):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0lhEycL3gQ

The number of manual players defiantly grew this year, as konami decided to make level 1 PA full assisted.

To be frank, I think 0 PA is quite assisted as well after the latest update.

I thought about what I've been seeing lately. I'm noticing 2 problematic behaviors.

Don’t know if it fully relates to the discussion, so I’ll dump it in spoiler quotes below (I guess to some extent it allows players to bypass difficult situations by sending powerful balls, which in turn can defeat the purpose of tactics):

1) They increased player-to-ball attraction and ball-to-player attraction. There is more computer correction than before.

2) There's something very arcade-y with the first touch control this year. Those overly/extremely powerful passes, if it successfully finds a receiving player, the first touch always gives them an advantage, as the ball feels "stringed" to player after the first touch. Basically, the overly powerful passes will never result in a completely BAD first touch control. It tends to bounce up (directly vertical to where player is standing), or to the direction of L-stick. It is soooo perfectly in control regardless of stats. In fact, even if they player has high ball control ability, there should still be situations where you are asking too much of him, and he makes a bad first touch. We are months into the game, I've yet to see that really happen this year. I want to see bad first touch as a result of careless passing, bad to the point that the receiving player surprises himself and takes a moment to look for the ball. This happens in football often, no? I don't mean to tone down first touch on an even scale, like make all first touches less effective. Only the ones where the passes are too powerful, angled awkwardly, or where the receiving player was just not ready (wrong body language/posture/animation).

Ok, so, with (1) + (2), it's "ball/player always attracted to each other in a pass" + "first touch has considerable advantage". This makes manual passing in the game feel a lot more point-to-point than before the update. This, in principle, is influenced by assisted passing.

As much as I love the first touch passes working after the update (that was great, no problem with that), I think some balancing is required next.

I mean, if we introduce more errors in passing/control, then maybe we wouldn't need the catchup bug so much. Or the overpowered X+[] full court pressure defending. Then hopefully everything will start looking more realistic...

If that number is worldwide, it makes even more sense. I used to buy the US version and Asia(non-JP) version in additional to the EU version, I was never able to find any manual players on their servers at all, despite each of them had a large user base population. There's a total of 5 manual players on the American continent (Canada/US/Brazil), and 3 in Asia (India/Singapore/China). Things do look grim in those markets..

Looking forward to hear the podcast. Is it available soon?

I can say the game is unplayAble on pc offline vs cpu. Too much cheating and unresponsivr controlz. GMe only playable vs human

Back
Top Bottom