No one thinks the demo is any good?!

H4RDY

ateyate
17 September 2004
London, UK
Arsenal
People,

I seem to be one of the few people that actually thinks this game is very good. To say it is a beautiful depiction of real life football would be pushing the boat out a bit, but it is without a doubt a massive leap from pes 2008. Ive played about 20 games so far and this is some of the stuff ive noticed: (NB, im playing the ps3 version.)

• the balance of the game has changed a lot, and for the better in my opinion. It is now a lot more easier to defend than it is to attack. In my opinion this is the one most important feature in this game that the previous game lacked. The speed of the game has been brought right down aswell, thats not to say its not possible to play fast-flowing football, you can.
  • skills The use of the directional buttons for the skills is an interesting choice. For me, i like it at the moment, but i can see it maybe get a bit frustrating later on. I can totally understand any qualms that others may have over it. Something to get used to. On the plus side, the computer AI doesnt hesitate to use skillful players like Ronaldo or Messi, and at times it makes for spectacular viewing. On one occasion ronaldo flicked the ball over a slide tackling defender to get passed him, on another he did a little instep-outstep number to get away from a defender. Cool stuff.
  • defence AI is a massive leap forward from the last game, defenders actually move to intercept passes from midfield. Also, full backs do a good job of covering the flanks, unlike in 2008 where they were a safe haven for wingers. Some people are already commenting that its easy-peezy to run straight passed the defence, as in 2008, i dont think that is the case at all. I found the computer AI controlled players to close down very effectively particularly when approaching the goal area, where on numerous occasions defenders double-up on my attackers putting in very effective sliding tackles or blocks.
  • goalkeepers Although the odd spillage of the ball still occurs, on the whole keepers are a lot more solid. I have noticed a few new animations which definately add to the authenticity of there motion.
  • computer AI Thanks to an AI players newfound ability to run into space, the computer does occasionally string a few passes together and play some neat stuff.
  • physics The motion of the ball is very well modelled. With backspin affecting the ball as expected and its interaction with the surroundings producing accurate reactions. The ball is a lot more floaty in the air, but i think this is more realistic than it was in 2008, where the ball often zipped right across the park at an unrealistically high speed.
  • graphics The ball is now a 3D modelled object, as are the boots, both look really cool in replay. The player bodies are slightly more detailed than before with muscle definition far more obvious. Then, aside from the new billboards and 3D crowds which are a nice touch, the graphics as seen while actually playing have seen very little change at all. This does not score a massive negative for me, as i have never played this game for the graphics, but it may do for others.
  • instant replays For the first time in the series, instant replays are not deleted after the ball leaves the field of play. This gets kudos from me definately. Though maybe it should be noted that F*FA has been doing it since the psone days, so its about time Konami. The instant replays themselves have been overhauled, the control is much sharper now and the image itself does have some nice touches, such as the depth of field and greater model detail, such as that of the ball and player boots, as mentioned earlier.
  • sound Team specific crowd chants are now heard during play, some people have voiced there dislike at some of these but its a step forward nonetheless and remember you can always use your own. Another nice little touch is the crowd celebration whenever a shot struck the side netting.
  • setpieces show a marked improvement. When i first heard people saying players actually attack freekicks i was sceptical, but i can safely say that is the case. Shooting from freekicks look a lot better and less impossible, but i cant comment on this really, i have had little exposure to them.
  • loading times are very reasonable, only a slight improvement over 2008 if that.
  • slowdown Nonexistent, as it should be.

I am convinced that this is not the latest build of the game, and most definately not the final build. In the past the demo's have never been the final quality of the game, i feel this is most definately the case again here. Dont expect any drastic changes between now and release though, it will just be a tidier, smoother version of this game.

I just wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon and bashing the game when clearly there is little reason to be so negative.

TO CONCLUDE:
I dont think this game is there yet, but its not far off. Its fair to say last years game was fairly dissappointing but i dont think that is the case this time, they have fixed the major faults and have added some nice touches here and there. You have to consider that they are always learning new things about the new hardware so the game will only ever improve. It was the very same thing on PS2, in my opinion the quality of the game increased with every iteration on the PS2 and i think most definately that will be the case here. So enjoy this one when it comes out people, and look forward to an ever better future with an ever better PES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: All of the above is just my opinion of the demo we are all playing. Because it is an opinion it cannot be wrong, you can of course disagree with it, but this is just how i see it.

Last edited:
You're not alone mate...I do like so much PES2009 as you...I liked many little things as:

-Luca Toni own celebration ("Does it sound good?")
-Ball Physic (perfect IMHO)
-Free Kicks (you said everything)
-Better resolution of Badges and logos on shirts
-Now it is possible to play bycicle kick also in defensive situations pressing "circle" in the right moment and with the ball in the right position (have you ever seen Cannavaro ?)
- the grass
-nets animation (perfect)
-pace
-directional button to play feints (so instinctive)
-players model and faces
-lighting effects

the only things I don't like are

Empty bench
ball noise

Last edited:
I still play PES6 on my laptop, and after playing the demo of PES2009 can appreciate the improvements that Konami has put into their footy engine... BUT, I do think that criticism against Konami is pretty fair, considering how similar PES has played over the last few versions.

So I agree that many of the changes make for a smoother, more responsive game, but at the same time the changes don't add up to anything substantial. It's definitely more of the same, which appeals to some and doesn't to others.

Based on the demo, I won't be purchasing PES 2009. Not because I don't like it, but because I still play a heavily edited PES 6 on the PC and getting FIFA seems the better dollar value on the consoles.

The big thing about this demo is we can not try the online mode,if it's unplayable like last year then i think they have failed.As for the demo i think this is what last year's game should have been not perfect but getting there

Its great to see that you are liking PES 2009 as i would love to feel the same. I think because Konami put out such a poor version last year, its as tho we needed them to come back with a bang this year. Had this years version been PES 08, then I think it would have been given more of a thumbs up. Also the fact that FIFA have stepped up a few levels with 08 & 09, it has made it even harder. I have played the demo of PES 2009 quite alot. Initially I thought it was a pile of crap....however after a few more goes its ok. I will still buy it for the PC as I know with all the patches it will be much better. However, as I have mentioned in a couple of other threads...I am very impressed with FIFA 09 on the PS3 which I bought, and it brings back those old feelings the PES used to. I look at this a positive as now we genuinely have two football games on the market that can be good. Hopefully Konami will now step the game up themselves and put a proper next gen game out over the next couple of years.

I think Konami were very unfortunate that last years effort was so bad. It meant that this year for the most part they had to correct the errors they made in that game which left little time for improving the experience.

Having said that, I think this years game feels much more solid, last years game had to many small things which were wrong with it, such as the way players could run passed everybody with such ease, the incredibly annoying advantage that the stronger players had, etc, that resulted in a balance of play which was totally unplayable, in my opinion.

I am in absolute agreement that this should have been last years game and now we'd be playing a very highly polished and enjoyable next-gen football game. But unfortunately it wasn't and we're not, but you have to live with that, and be thankful that now at least we have a solid very playable game.

Its not a matter of what it should've been, but what it is.

Why is this here?

If you look in the PES forum there are loads of people who love the demo and some who believe it's the second coming...

Because the general concensus in that forum is that the game is not that great that all, and i wish to change that.

I like it - depends which forums/sites you go on - many people who post on this site stopped liking PES a long time ago - it should be re-named "fifa-web". Have a look on WENB or PESGaming and alot of people are liking it but opinion is mixed.

Nick, i understand why people start a separate thread, that PES thread is an open sewer full of garbage posts...
I haven't even tried the demo of PES and i've bought FIFA (and i like it), but i can't respect people who come in that thread and treat people who have other opinions as complete morons.

Because the general concensus in that forum is that the game is not that great that all, and i wish to change that.
I understand why you're not happy but as you said above the general consensus in there is FIFA is a better game, starting a new thread will not change that...

I like it - depends which forums/sites you go on - many people who post on this site stopped liking PES a long time ago - it should be re-named "fifa-web". Have a look on WENB or PESGaming and alot of people are liking it but opinion is mixed.
Again, I don't see the issue, would you like a thread where nothing in the world exists apart from PES, the genre balance has swung slightly in FIFA's favour and like it or not PES is not leagues ahead anymore...:((

Nick, i understand why people start a separate thread, that PES thread is an open sewer full of garbage posts...
I haven't even tried the demo of PES and i've bought FIFA (and i like it), but i can't respect people who come in that thread and treat people who have other opinions as complete morons.

I understand it too gerd and the idiots on both sides of the fence who flame and put others down because they do not agree with their views need to be addressed, but I'd hate to go down the over sanitized route or have an over censured site... ;))

You make some fair points Nick. There was a time when I wasnt sure why people looking for a good representation of football would play fifa, but i am well aware that times have changed and i'd be the first to say this years fifa game is a triumph. EA are on the ball at the moment they have made a very enjoyable well balanced game, no doubt about that, but its because they have put in the effort to get back on terms with pes. All the while Konami is trotting along becoming all the more complacent.

Good thing is last year they got a right good kicking in by the european market, and have done a good job to get the game back on track. One things for sure, there is now more than one footy game on the market, and so rest assured things will improve from Konami in the coming years.

depending on me: "you'll never walk alone" heheh

although i'm a manchester united fan..

i liked pes 2009 a lot!

Guys,

Ive had a chance to play some more today and the more i play the more i think this game is amazing. When i compared the speed of the game and the general mechanics of play, to the blackburn manu game i watched afterwards i was startled at actually how good a representation of football it really is.

It just seems to me that a large number of people are not offering genuine wellfounded opinions, but rather tagging onto a general hatred of Konami for delivering what they feel is sub-standard game, which is completely out of order in my opinion.

At the end of the day this is just the demo, the final code will be even better. So stop clutching at straws, there is nothing wrong with this game.

Be happy!

How can you get any accurate impression from this demo?! The AI is HORRIBLE... The game is very stiff, it's just... inconclusive really. I hope this was a very early build.

As I noted above i am confident that the final code will be a lot smoother than this, but having said that I still stand by my opinion that it is more than playable as it is.

Stop playing it like you played 2008 (ie, holding the run button at all times) and start trying to construct attacks properly and you will appreciate it a lot more.

Can you explain what you think is wrong with it, you say:

The AI is HORRIBLE...

The game is very stiff

After playing the demo last night...I think some of the hate posts here are totally EXZAGERRATED.Many are just asking and hoping for too much.

What is clear is that PES2009 is definitely better than 08.This is judge only on the demo and the demo has impressed me.Cannot wait for the release date of the full version.

I think a lot of people play the demo for the first 5 mins and then go on forums saying they hate it. If you play the demo a lot, it just gets better and better.

If the online lag is fixed this year, it's the perfect pes, for me.

I think a lot of people play the demo for the first 5 mins and then go on forums saying they hate it. If you play the demo a lot, it just gets better and better.

That's not the case with me though. The more I play it the more it turns me off. On the other hand, Fifa 09 surprisingly is growing on me.

My main gripe with PES 2009 is the stiff/weird animations and the passing. They're plain awful. Fifa's are fluid. Not saying Fifa doesn't have any faults ofcourse.

All i'm saying is, with all both their faults/bugs, Fifa seems to have the upper hand this year.

Seabass needs to sort out the old-gen outdated stiff animations, seriously. They're just not happening on next-gen consoles.

I must admit i wasn't that impressed with the demo at first but i swapped the controls(xbox 360).I now have the left trigger as the change player button,and the right trigger as the run button.I really do like playing the demo now,can't wait for the full version!

yeah, i agree the stiff and unnatural animations being a turn off, not to mention the constant ball "thudding" sound as well. The default game chants are also s.hite so which figures why KONAMI allows mp3 importing.
but there is still the air of unpredictability about PES2009(like there was in the previous old-gen versions).

Got a tame shot with E'too and it appeared Van Der Sar caught it with both hands, but it crawled under between his legs into the net.
First time its happened to me, in any PES(for as long as I can remember).

Seems like its 50-50 this year round...both FIFA and PES are really playable this year.Only one solution..buy BOTH games!!! Play FIFA once you got pissed with PES..vice versa.

Generally speaking, I'm happy.

I particularly like the way the game looks - much cleaner and clearer than last time and I genuinely prefer the way it looks compared to FIFA 09.

I am delighted that the slowdown has finally gone and I'm hopeful that there will be no online lag.

My only remaining concern is with the passing. I get a nice fluid move going and then I go for a through ball or sometimes even just a straight pass and the ball seems to have a mind of it's own and goes off in the wrong direction. This has happened lots of times, unfortunately.

Maybe this is due to the limitations of the old '8 way' control system - I don't really know for sure, but it does rather spoil the flow (and consequently the enjoyment) of the game for me a little.

I've already bought FIFA and will be buying Pro too. While I still feel PES is just about the better game it disappoints me when I look at the amount of progress FIFA has made in the last few years, PES used to be miles ahread but FIFA is right on it's tail now.

If some big improvements don't come next year I think it may actually be the year the unthinkable happens, FIFA overtakes PES.

I think so to, I liked it from my first game but after a couple of games I was sure this edition is gonna provide me of nice footy-evenings. I even played the 08 edition quiet some time, even with its flaws,I enjoyed it playing with mates...

But this really goes back to the pro evo path, hope online is fixed, for the rest, the only thing that bottered me a bit were the GK's...

Last edited:
The demo is alright.. It does grow on you ill give you that but its still not where it should be.. Essentially its just a slightly upgraded version of last yrs game which i sold after a week of playing because it was complete arse..
Now they have slowed it down a bit but its still not next gen.. The thud shounds are just plain stupid and the keepers still make some dreadful mistakes.. Animations are the sane as last year as are alot of things and that simply is not gd enough.. At least EA add some elements to the gameplay such as the impoved animations, jostling $ collision system etc where as Konami seem to think its acceptable to keep doing the same thing each yr and for the life of me i don't know why.. :CONFUSE:
I will most definitely be picking up Fifa this yr but unfortunately PES will not be following the same boat.. :EMB:

Got a tame shot with E'too and it appeared Van Der Sar caught it with both hands, but it crawled under between his legs into the net.
First time its happened to me, in any PES(for as long as I can remember).

That is proof of how the game is progressing, improved collision physics allow for such eventualities, though having said that, dont expect to see that happen very often.

chizzer
Im completely and exactly in agreement with you chizzer, they dont give it a chance. Some people may not have yet noticed that it takes time to get used to the gameplay changes and intricacies of a new version, and expect to be able to play it the same way they have been the past year.

Lami
Despite being a pes fanatic, I never put fifa down for the sake of it being fifa. Its just, as many people will agree, fifa in the past has never been able to compete with pes on the levels of enjoyment, quality and playability. Indeed its fair to say, this years fifa game is making massive strides. I make this judgement from my experience of the demo only. I do feel that fifa have a game that is for the first time playable to a pes veteran like myself (as it happens I felt euro 2008 was a good game aswell, and thats obviously been the foundation for this game). However, which ever way you look at it pro evolution has always been better when it comes to the action in the final third, ea has not yet hit the spot when it comes to their shooting system, and I feel pes will always be ahead in this department. For this reason I cannot agree on fifa having the upperhand this year.

TiezZ
I played the 2008 game until very recently. At times it really did frustrate, some of the inconsistencies were just unacceptable really. And the way players could coast past a team, im glad to find these things seem to be corrected now.

The demo is alright.. It does grow on you ill give you that but its still not where it should be.. Essentially its just a slightly upgraded version of last yrs game which i sold after a week of playing because it was complete arse..
Now they have slowed it down a bit but its still not next gen.. The thud shounds are just plain stupid and the keepers still make some dreadful mistakes.. Animations are the sane as last year as are alot of things and that simply is not gd enough.. At least EA add some elements to the gameplay such as the impoved animations, jostling $ collision system etc where as Konami seem to think its acceptable to keep doing the same thing each yr and for the life of me i don't know why.. :CONFUSE:

Slightly upgraded in the sense that they fixed all the major flaws (online pending), which were the things stopping the last version being any good. So it would be "any good" in that case. surely ?

Haven't seen a dreadful keeping mistake yet in 10 hours' playing. I've seen a lot of parrying of the ball away from danger, but they generally hold the stuff they should do.

In case there was any doubt, yes, I like it.

Well from what ive seen the keepers tend to parry the ball 2 yrds to the side of them which is an easy tap in for any forward.. Theres also a crazy amount of yellow cards that the ref gives out.. Every slide challenge is a yellow and this is from the cpu doing it, not me.. Its alright every now and then and if its a clear one but for every challenge, its a wee bit to much..

I guess im just more of a realism man myself and thats why i chose fifa for last yr and this yr as well.. Before that it was a PES but ever since the launch of the next gen they've gone downhill.. Shame really.. :(

Back
Top Bottom