No Becks in the England Squad

people get carried away by his popularity and say he's overrated forgetting that he still is the only player in the world to be able to find a free teammate anywhere on the pitch, be a 75% goal scoring threat from any set piece within 25m of the goal and still do all that beeing a great defensive coverage midfielder.

Surprised by the omission to some extent because you can't deny the fact that Sven's system effectively removed Becks' greatest weapon. Still, its nice to to know that there will be no freebees on this team if McL holds true to current form.

But let's face it. The REAL test of McLaren's genius. . and indeed, the success or demise of this English team. . will be what he does, and how he resolves this Lampard/Gerrard issue in the middle of the pitch. I still havent seen them play a great game together. He may end up finding that the team makes a great addition to the unit by the subtraction of one of its greatest components.

I'm not saying he'll bench one of the two. But he may as well try it out before th4e games begin to mean too much. Sven tinkered for years in absolute futility because he wouldnt seperate the two from central midfield. Let's see if McLaren has the balls/audacity to at least give it a try.

I think it was right to drop Beckham. It signifies the new era for England. I like Beckham alot and he is still better than the majority of right wingers England can offer at the moment. He always put 100% in. He was never the great player that people made him out to be. He was just really good. It's time for a change in the England camp now and keeping a former captain in the squad probably doesnt show us moving in the right direction.

While we're at it can we drop Frank Lampard too please? He's rediculous for England. Let Gerrard run free without the deadweight Lampard! Carricks more than equal to Lampard for long balls. And probably better for Lampards England shooting record.

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
EH???? when did this happen? :lol:
Well he IS a decent holding midfielder. Unlike other players (like Gerrard for example), Beckham has the discipline to stay back and cover.

neilb863 said:
I think it was right to drop Beckham. It signifies the new era for England. I like Beckham alot and he is still better than the majority of right wingers England can offer at the moment. He always put 100% in. He was never the great player that people made him out to be. He was just really good. It's time for a change in the England camp now and keeping a former captain in the squad probably doesnt show us moving in the right direction.

While we're at it can we drop Frank Lampard too please? He's rediculous for England. Let Gerrard run free without the deadweight Lampard! Carricks more than equal to Lampard for long balls. And probably better for Lampards England shooting record.

I cant take anything you say seriously with that "Heskey for England" avatar you have

Back
Top Bottom