Netgear DG834GT problem!

Joe

International
9 August 2004
ok heres my problem, I have no idea how to install this bad boy,

I bought this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=220133344226&rd=1&rd=1 it said it was compatible with Tiscali so I got it,

It came in a sky broadband box and the router looks like this http://broadband.sky.com/Images/product_image1.jpg

but I dont know what im doing,

would anybody be able to do a step by step guide for me,

ive got it all looking good with the correct lights on the front, but dont know how to connect to internet with it.

ps, does it matter that my adsl converter thing goes into an extension lead to reach my phone socket (as its downstairs), my modem worked with it like this , but i dont know with the router

Last edited:
You need, or at least this is what the instructions say, a microfilter on every single phone outlet in the house, regardless of whether it's going to have a PC there or not. So where it comes into the house, there has to be a microfilter, your living room phoneline has to have a microfilter etc... Making sure this is the case solved a problem at my brother-in-law's house.

The way to set it up (once you've made sure of the above) is to go into your internet browser and type the following (into the ADDRESS bar): 192.168.0.1

You'll be asked for a name and password which is, by default, "admin" and "password". From there you have to input your internet provider username and password (you should have an email from Tiscali somewhere with your login details), and you may have to input DNS server addresses as well (check the Tiscali site for more details on that).

right doesnt even get onto the page.

i went onto run--->CMD and types IPCONFIG/all to check my new ethernet connection IP

but that doesnt even show up

so does that mean my ethernet cable is having problems connecting

If your PC can't see it then you're having problems somewhere. Could be anything really, wrong cable, broken microfilter, not enough microfilters plugged into the right places, broken router... I'd bet it's something simple though. Every time I've had problems it's been because I've used non-twisted-pair cabling instead of twisted-pair cabling, the microfilters haven't been installed properly, or (rather stupidly on my part) there's been two modems/routers plugged into the one house.

You'll just have to eliminate things one by one. Try borrowing a standard ethernet cable and trying that, try connecting to the PC in a different way (or even take the modem to a mate's house where they have a working router, plug your router in and type 192.168.0.1 into the web browser to see if it's recognised or not) etc...

Last edited:
just looked in my device manager and it says my Ethernet Controller is not install (yellow question mark), should i look on dell for the driver? could this be the problem

DONE IT! it was that little bastard, downloaded a new driver, now works a treat, thanks for your help Jack, it was somthing minor, bloody computers

only thing i got to sort now, is talking to Sky, as they want me to have the box connected to the phone line for a whole year, which is kind of causing my internet connection problems, due to fact that there isnt much space in the wall grr

That's in the contract, which is a bastard. They were the same with us when we had it years ago. I remember unplugging it for one single week, and then getting a phone call saying "plug your box back in or you're violating the terms of service".

got another one for you Jack,

im putting this computer (Dell Dimension 4600) into my brothers room, but the router will be staying with me and my new pc,

so how do i get the old computer using the same connection, if theres a link somewhere. might be easier

The router is designed to take four connections, so you're set. You might need a long length of wire but all you have to do is connect the other computer to the router, into connection "2" (presuming you're plugged into "1"). The cable is easy enough to get hold of, just go to a PC shop and tell them you want ethernet cable to connect a second computer to a router. You can get all kinds of lengths.

But if you really can't wire it, you could get a wireless USB dongle for the other computer (seeing as you have a wireless router). But the quality will be worse (not neccessarily noticeable for surfing the web, but definitely a problem if there's going to be online games played on it). Personally I would only do this as a LAST RESORT - wired means 100% connection, no problems.

If the other computer doesn't have a network port on it, you can buy a network card dirt-cheap (£15-£20 from PC World or less than £10 if you know a decent place) and install that. Seeing as the router is Netgear, I would buy a Netgear network card.

Last edited:
ah ok, so i cant do it wireless, is this because of the computer i have?

Nothing to do with your computer. Bear in mind if you have a router in your house, you won't be connecting computer to computer directly - you connect each computer to the router.

You could do wireless, but you'd need to purchase a Netgear wireless USB dongle to shove into the unconnected PC. But if you do that, you will notice a performance decrease if you're used to a normal connection, especially if there's a wall in the way.

It's much better in the long-run to drill a hole in a wall and thread a cable through, rather than have your internet disconnected every time the person in the other room stands up.

Wireless is a much easier and better solution. I haven't experienced any problems, the transfer speed is fast.

well in the topic of router , where is best to place the router? the computer on the other side of the house seem to get low connection and keep on not getting signals resulting in connected! status but no internet availability....

I can't be bothered making a new thread seen as these type of things are closely linked.

Just got HomeHub from BT replacing my old NETGEAR router and boosting my connection from 512kb (ZOMG! 2002 we got that!!) upto the 8mb sweetness that it provides.

But we haven't got any BT wireless cards for my laptop (which isn't natively wireless enabled, or one PC).

So one question is, can any brand wireless cards be used to connect?

And another question is that I figured they might be able to, so I went into my NETGEAR setup on my laptop and changed the settings to see if it connected, and it said it did, but when I clicked on the internet, it immediately said page cannot be displayed. And the signal strength has switched between very good and poor/none

The card apparently have a 54mps speed I think, d'you reckon that has something to do with it? (might need a faster card or something?)

Back
Top Bottom