NBA 2K23 Videos

Hey @Becanes ! 👋

Are you enjoying the new title? If you don’t mind, can you please tell me/us your thoughts about how gameplay this year has evolved. I hear a lot of sim aspects have gone into it. Would like to hear from a passionate US sports fan.

Hey @Becanes ! 👋

Are you enjoying the new title? If you don’t mind, can you please tell me/us your thoughts about how gameplay this year has evolved. I hear a lot of sim aspects have gone into it. Would like to hear from a passionate US sports fan.
So far this is the best NBA2k since 2k11 even on current gen as the core gameplay is almost exactly the same, next gen might have a few more animations. Ofc next gen has the extra modes like the Eras.
I'm playing on PC and it's been a blast. Offline only with tweaks on sliders, especially the shooting tendencies because AI is paint happy on default as always. Fouls are fixed, you get all sort of fouls even 3pt shooting ones. P&R response is improved but ofc you can still have a lot of success with top teams like the Warriors unless you play on Superstar or HOF where cpu AI has a more adaptive response. Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much knowledge about basketball because I can also adapt quickly, see the weakness of the AI and run the appropriate plays but it is what it is. As I said managing a mediocre team it is more challenging.
You have the same bugs in CG as in NG version because the code is the same. That said, first thing you need to do is to set the coaching sliders in the roster because there is a huge bug in both versions where Help Defense is at 0 for all teams. You just edit this for all teams at 50-65 (I have it at 65).
Another bug is the auto offense playcalling which is working only for freelance. Again you need to set it to manual to run proper playbook plays.
Conclusion and sorry for highjacking a reply that was meant for Becanes, I would definitely recommend the game to you especially if you have a new console. I understand the game is getting too much hate on Steam because they won't give us the NG version but tbf the gameplay this year is great.

So far this is the best NBA2k since 2k11 even on current gen as the core gameplay is almost exactly the same, next gen might have a few more animations. Ofc next gen has the extra modes like the Eras.
I'm playing on PC and it's been a blast. Offline only with tweaks on sliders, especially the shooting tendencies because AI is paint happy on default as always. Fouls are fixed, you get all sort of fouls even 3pt shooting ones. P&R response is improved but ofc you can still have a lot of success with top teams like the Warriors unless you play on Superstar or HOF where cpu AI has a more adaptive response. Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much knowledge about basketball because I can also adapt quickly, see the weakness of the AI and run the appropriate plays but it is what it is. As I said managing a mediocre team it is more challenging.
You have the same bugs in CG as in NG version because the code is the same. That said, first thing you need to do is to set the coaching sliders in the roster because there is a huge bug in both versions where Help Defense is at 0 for all teams. You just edit this for all teams at 50-65 (I have it at 65).
Another bug is the auto offense playcalling which is working only for freelance. Again you need to set it to manual to run proper playbook plays.
Conclusion and sorry for highjacking a reply that was meant for Becanes, I would definitely recommend the game to you especially if you have a new console. I understand the game is getting too much hate on Steam because they won't give us the NG version but tbf the gameplay this year is great.
Thanks a lot for the reply. 👍

How do you like the new 3 part stamina bar? I think that’s a brilliant idea.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much knowledge about basketball because I can also adapt quickly, see the weakness of the AI and run the appropriate plays but it is what it is. As I said managing a mediocre team it is more challenging.
And this is such an important topic to me!
I don’t interpret your comment as bragging or similar… I just understand what you mean!
But this is exactly how I felt all those last years when it came to football games. And then we sim fans run in circles again… about how Knowledge of the sport is one major aspect that should translate into the gaming experience... oh man, I won’t start this topic again. 😉

Thanks a lot for the reply. 👍

How do you like the new 3 part stamina bar? I think that’s a brilliant idea.

And this is such an important topic to me!
I don’t interpret your comment as bragging or similar… I just understand what you mean!
But this is exactly how I felt all those last years when it came to football games. And then we sim fans run in circles again… about how Knowledge of the sport is one major aspect that should translate into the gaming experience... oh man, I won’t start this topic again. 😉
Yes, it's not bragging. Sometimes it's a disadvantage knowing the sport well when you're gaming. Expectations are higher and when it comes to games like NBA2k you're constantly finding yourself tweaking sliders to have stats and gameplay as the real thing. It's fun but frustrating also.
Regarding stamina I'm always selecting the option for fatigue for subs and not rotation based on minutes. This if I'm not doing the subs manually. Subs logic on auto is better this year. I had one game which was a blowout by the end of the 3rd quarter. On auto option my coach played the bench for the rest of 12min which was nice to see.

Yes, it's not bragging. Sometimes it's a disadvantage knowing the sport well when you're gaming. Expectations are higher and when it comes to games like NBA2k you're constantly finding yourself tweaking sliders to have stats and gameplay as the real thing. It's fun but frustrating also.
Regarding stamina I'm always selecting the option for fatigue for subs and not rotation based on minutes. This if I'm not doing the subs manually. Subs logic on auto is better this year. I had one game which was a blowout by the end of the 3rd quarter. On auto option my coach played the bench for the rest of 12min which was nice to see.
This, so this @Becanes !! This is the story of my football games adventures for the last 2 decades.
Like a befriended musician who told me he will never listen to music again like I do, „so innocently“.

oh, maybe I did say it wrong. I meant the 3 bars that are shown underneath the player. Those will drop, you loose one, when you do certain moves like breakaways or tricks. This is to prevent players from spamming the right stick afaik and I like that.
I do image how features available in games in general could add to a better experience I’m having with „my beloved games“!

See, when we talk basketball here, I always do translate that to football games. Don’t get me wrong, I’m also interested in the details of NBA2k23 and your opinion! It’s just the same as with my sim racing hobby… even from that i draw conclusions towards other sport sims and try to connect the dots! Guess you get me.

edit: Stupid me, please excuse me big time @fear 🙏 I was so stupid… thought I was having the conversation with becanes! 😂🤯
What I said still stands. 😊

edit: 😂 really, cant remember that happening to me before. So freaking dumb! 😂

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO Fear reviewed the game pretty well. I am playing on Next Gen and actually I do believe there is a difference in gameplay between NG and CG as far as things that I have read. But to add on I am really enjoying the game. Out of the box it's probably the best 2K ever honestly. And that's because of the included ERAs and the Jordan Challenge. It's great to be able to play with presentation elements from those eras. Between the different courts, the uniforms, the era specific commentary and other things it's great.

To speak of game play they have improved the game in many ways. As Fear has said, they have improved pick and roll and help defense a lot. You can actually get a fast break in this game as well. One thing some people are having a problem with is the shooting aspect. It seems out of the box you almost have to "green" your shots for them to go in if you are doing user timing. I'm struggling with it but I'm not complaining about it. I like the challenge and I'm improving slowly. You can also have playcalling on Auto and it will call plays from your playbook other than freelances. I guess I'm seeing something different to what Fear is seeing in that respect. There are in game injuries this year which is a big deal since I don't know when the last time we had them. They really tightened up a lot of areas. I hope to get more videos out in the coming days to hopefully show these things. But I'm liking it a lot of it's taking away from my Madden time. This time of year brings too many games (especially sports games). It's hard to play them all.

Forgot to mention the stamina bars. I guess I don't use a lot of dribble moves because I haven't used up the stamina bars. So I can't comment too much on that. Maybe that's why I struggle sometimes. :)

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO Fear reviewed the game pretty well. I am playing on Next Gen and actually I do believe there is a difference in gameplay between NG and CG as far as things that I have read. But to add on I am really enjoying the game. Out of the box it's probably the best 2K ever honestly. And that's because of the included ERAs and the Jordan Challenge. It's great to be able to play with presentation elements from those eras. Between the different courts, the uniforms, the era specific commentary and other things it's great.

To speak of game play they have improved the game in many ways. As Fear has said, they have improved pick and roll and help defense a lot. You can actually get a fast break in this game as well. One thing some people are having a problem with is the shooting aspect. It seems out of the box you almost have to "green" your shots for them to go in if you are doing user timing. I'm struggling with it but I'm not complaining about it. I like the challenge and I'm improving slowly. You can also have playcalling on Auto and it will call plays from your playbook other than freelances. I guess I'm seeing something different to what Fear is seeing in that respect. There are in game injuries this year which is a big deal since I don't know when the last time we had them. They really tightened up a lot of areas. I hope to get more videos out in the coming days to hopefully show these things. But I'm liking it a lot of it's taking away from my Madden time. This time of year brings too many games (especially sports games). It's hard to play them all.

Forgot to mention the stamina bars. I guess I don't use a lot of dribble moves because I haven't used up the stamina bars. So I can't comment too much on that. Maybe that's why I struggle sometimes. :)
Well said man. I bought it on ps5 the other day and I'm loving it. Everything feels a lot more measured and precise to me compared to other iterations. I'm also really enjoying the difficult challenge of shooting and the manual style of defending. I like how you can't just lock on when you're defending now, you have to think about positioning and where your hands are etc. It keeps you engaged during all phases of the game.

I don't know what's going on with the auto playcalling on offense. I tried both versions and it calls plays but not the regular/major ones. Need to check it more tbh but for now I've just went back to manual. Not a big deal either way.
Regarding shooting, I don't think I'll ever move away from Real %. I just don't like my sports gaming to be heavily dependent on skills. The same applies to dribble moves. I keep it simple. Run my plays, find the open man, if cpu closes me down I accept it, I'll shoot under pressure and in traffic and let the stats take over.

Too many drives in the paint by cpu. You're not using any sliders or tendencies? Do you also have the help defense very high for cpu? On a couple of occasions they rushed a help defense near the 3pt perimeter leaving an open shot.

Too many drives in the paint by cpu. You're not using any sliders or tendencies? Do you also have the help defense very high for cpu? On a couple of occasions they rushed a help defense near the 3pt perimeter leaving an open shot.
It seems different teams are playing differently which I like. Boston took 51 threes. I am not using sliders but am using an editing roster with some tendencies edited. It's still a WIP but I think it's playing great. I have all teams help d set to 77 right now. I like to see some rotation. And they really only started to leave open shots when my player was heating up and scoring more. IMHO

It seems different teams are playing differently which I like. Boston took 51 threes. I am not using sliders but am using an editing roster with some tendencies edited. It's still a WIP but I think it's playing great. I have all teams help d set to 77 right now. I like to see some rotation. And they really only started to leave open shots when my player was heating up and scoring more. IMHO
Sounds logical. I think 77 help defense is the sweet spot for all teams. You can't tell from the video but I reckon cpu tried to double team your hot player leaving space for others.
Did Boston really attempted 51 without changing anything in the global sliders? I guess you've changed every single player tendency in the roster?
Oh, do I need to say that this game is hands down the best sports videogame ever? Even on PC. Mods are coming through every day and it's just fantastic.

Sounds logical. I think 77 help defense is the sweet spot for all teams. You can't tell from the video but I reckon cpu tried to double team your hot player leaving space for others.
Did Boston really attempted 51 without changing anything in the global sliders? I guess you've changed every single player tendency in the roster?
I won't take any create for the roster changes. It's the roster I am using by Celtic LG. It's called Attention to Detail. He has formulas and other resources that he uses to calculate everything from tendencies to attributes. He is in the process of making changes right now. I'm using his WIP rosters. Gameplay is much better for it.

Gameplay this year has gotten better. They to patch the game some more on PC because it has some optimization issues.

This game is 6 bucks in the xbox store. Gonna give it a try. Not a big bb nba fan but the reviews of gameplay seem good

Edit: why is this game 150gb???????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom