MLB The Show 08 - PS3/PSP

Thought i'd revive this thread again after bumping into a MLB The Show v MLB 2K8 comparison. The Show looks so good it makes 2k8 look like a last-gen version.

composite1.jpg

composite5.jpg

composite6.jpg

composite4.jpg

composite3.jpg

composite2.jpg

Bloody hell, I thought 2k8 looked last gen but after seeing The Show's faces next to 2k8 ... :shock:

I think 2k8's faces are rubbish, really. They certainly look like they belong on the XBox 1/PS2.

I need to get The Show, maybe payday after next :)

I think 2k8's faces are rubbish, really. They certainly look like they belong on the XBox 1/PS2.

I need to get The Show, maybe payday after next :)

Keep an eye on AVF as it pops up quite often for sale... beware if you get it, it will suck your life away like a cheap Albanian hooker.

textures are awesome...this is what next gen is about. ive seen the show get tipped in one magazine for GOTY - a uk mag as well.

has anyonje seen the textures in the new madden? bodes well for the future of fifa. the show has raised the bar, can the rest follow?

textures are awesome...this is what next gen is about. ive seen the show get tipped in one magazine for GOTY - a uk mag as well.

has anyonje seen the textures in the new madden? bodes well for the future of fifa. the show has raised the bar, can the rest follow?

Yea, it got a 9/10 in the Official PS3 Mag last month and a really favourable write-up which was nice considering Baseball is such a niche sport (in the UK), it would have been easy for the reviewer to dismiss it out-of-hand.

A couple of those player faces would be easy enough to get confused with a real photo! The line between what real life looks like and what video games look like is blurring.

I've grabbed this on PSP the last couple of years as its just a brilliant sports sim. In terms of consoles I only have a 360 so no option to get "The Show" there. But if you want MLB 2k8 on 360 you can get it. The NTSC-J version IS PAL compatible. I got it from www.playasia.com and it works perfectly. Its actually a great game buried underneath a god awful frame rate and some really off default settings. Apparently the frame rate has been fixed with a patch and if you use different slider settings it plays a GREAT game of baseball. I've been checking out the www.operationsports.com forums and some of those american dudes think it plays a more realistic game of ball than "The Show" After you tweak the hell out of the sliders. It does look far worse in screen shots, but remember you have to see it in motion to really decide.

PS. The analogue pitching system is an absolute stroke of genius, difficult at first but then brilliant once you master it. Far beyond the Show's button pressing. In terms of hitting I got too frustrated with the hit stick and went back to the face buttons, all the better for it.

This game is worth a try but I think its disgusting that developers release games that have such hideous frame rate and bug issues. I mean, come on guys, every single 360 is exactly the same. You know whats under the hood, the game should NOT choke on graphics at any stage. Same with you Konami and that farce that is PES 2008. Check out www.cracked.com and their 7 Commandents All Video Games must obey, they articulate this issue far better than I can.

PSS. Just got the patch and its now smooth as silk. Well worth a try if you like your sports games.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the analogue control scheme of MLB 2k8 and would much prefer it to an old fashioned button pressing method, IMO analogue control is the way forward, another of the reasons why Fight Night > Prizefighter (shitty graphics and animation of Prizefighter aside).

This game is worth a try but I think its disgusting that developers release games that have such hideous frame rate and bug issues. I mean, come on guys, every single 360 is exactly the same. You know whats under the hood, the game should NOT choke on graphics at any stage. Same with you Konami and that farce that is PES 2008. Check out www.cracked.com and their 7 Commandents All Video Games must obey, they articulate this issue far better than I can.

I agree. Specially when they charge you extra on "next-gen" games.

Back
Top Bottom