MLB The Show 08 - PS3/PSP

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Anyone else given this a go?

Superb graphics - PS3 especially and the broadcast/presentation is about the best I've ever experienced in a game. THe commentary is spot on, varied, reactive to the match etc. Very clever.

Got this on PSP at the moment and its just as impressive, but the PS3 is really stand out. The animation of the players etc from what I've seen on YouTube is amazing.

Just downloading the demo now to see if its worth having it on both systems.

Come on baseball freaks - come out the woodwork!

Does look very nice, possibly the first PS3 exclusive that made me wish I had a PS3......

non NTSC-U 360 owning baseball fans get well shafted as MLB 2k8 (not as good as this) is only released on NTSC-U and is region locked, real idiocy by 2k, don't they want the extra revenue from PAL/NTSC-J sales?

Just been playing the PS3 demo - and its just as awesome. Shows up what a great job the guys done for the PSP (and another confirmation that the PSP is really coming into its own).

Great game - dont understand the rules and terminology fully, but its just so beautifully done, you cannot help but be sucked in.

The 'Road to the Show' mode is awesome and I wish footie games would try it. You create a player and then starting in the rookie leagues, you just play as and when you are picked. The better you get, the more games you get and the more training you can do.

Then you get drafted to better teams etc. Just awesome...

This sounds great, didn't know there was a demo. Is that on the UK network pboreham? Easy to get the hang of?

This sounds great, didn't know there was a demo. Is that on the UK network pboreham? Easy to get the hang of?

Its on the US store and 100% worth the download.

Its easy to play (pop up hints as you play, so no probs there) - hitting the ball is another matter, but great sense of achievement when you do!

I was always into Baseball eversince i played my first baseball game on my mega drive. Didn't know MLB 2k8 was region locked only for the usa. I played the demo and was impressed. Thought its really awesome. And if MLB the show 08 is better than that i can't imagine the awesomeness of it!

Apparantly (not understanding the subtlety in the game), americans are saying MLB 2k8 is SHOCKING compared to The Show.

Prob the same as a non-'soccer' loving american trying to tell the differences we can see between FIFA and PES.

Anyway Lami, The Show is awesomeness personified!

Just tried it now (two-and-a-half hours to download, ouch) - not for me. The commentators sound like they're talking French, can't understand a word, and the controls are way too complicated. I'm sure if you understand the game it's the best game ever but I don't have the patience to learn the rules.

The 'Road to the Show' mode is awesome and I wish footie games would try it. You create a player and then starting in the rookie leagues, you just play as and when you are picked. The better you get, the more games you get and the more training you can do.

Then you get drafted to better teams etc. Just awesome...

Yeah that does sound awesome, I can't wait for something like that in a football game, hopefully Fifa will add it for 09

Thats a shame - not many people I've seen dont like it?

Here are some tips...

Pitching:

* The 4 face buttons are different pitches - the blue bar above them is how confident you are with each pitch. In order - cross, circle, triangle, square is the order of your best pitches.

* When you pitch a 'hot spot' is show - this is the catchers suggested pitch and location - you dont have to choose it.

* When you choosen your pitch and lined it up with the left stick, HOLD DOWN X to start the bar moving. Release X to set power and then click X again to hit the accuracy on the way back.

* The Speed of the meter is relative to how confident you are, the type of hitter etc.

BATTING

* First, go into options and either choose 'Rookie' for the skill level, or turn on 'Base Plate Indicator' (BPI) if you leave the level at Vet.

* BPI shows where you are aiming with the left stick.

* Time X to hit the ball. If not rookie, then square tries a big hit (less chance).

* Hitting is very hard!

* When base running, R1 goes forward a base, L1 back and R1+L1 stops you.

FIELDING

* R1 - Jump, R2 Dive

* To throw to a base, map the 4 bases to the face buttons - i.e. X is home, square is 3rd.

* Hold down the throw button for power - longer hold, more power, less accurate.

If anyone needs to know anything else let me know. I am by no means a baseball expert, but trying to learn!!! :)

Just tried it now (two-and-a-half hours to download, ouch) - not for me. The commentators sound like they're talking French, can't understand a word, and the controls are way too complicated. I'm sure if you understand the game it's the best game ever but I don't have the patience to learn the rules.

You don't swing with the analogue stick? That's dissapointing, Fight Night's analogue system has put me off button pressing for contact sports such as boxing/baseball etc.

You don't swing with the analogue stick? That's dissapointing, Fight Night's analogue system has put me off button pressing for contact sports such as boxing/baseball etc.

Dont think you can swing with the stick - the mechanics wouldnt be very good would they? Dunno... right stick back to wind up and forward to swing? Nah, think that would pee me off due to being unaccurate. Its hard enough as it is!

Boxing is ideal for analogue with Fight Night. I've got it on PSP and yea, its brilliant, but you do lose something having to use the face buttons to punch.

TW08 is a testiment to analogue-gone-wrong!

TW07 was fine, TW08 is more inaccurate when your character is not skilled but once you've put the effort in it's pretty easy to hit constantly straight shots, admittedly I use a fairly low skill level in TW to keep the game fun not annoying :) One thing I noticed with TW08 is that my shots were far more accurate with a wired controller than a wireless one, guess even the slightest loss in timing affected the game significantly.

Last edited:
I've played the demo a few times and I enjoy, if only I knew anything about Baseball too really appreciate it.

The presentation, commentators and atmosphere are excellent.

I played the 2K8 demo and it's not very good IMO.

pboreham, not sure if its any better because its the first time i use the analog to swing a bat.

tobi, you can get the hang of it if you keep playing it. i knew nothing about baseball back in the mega drive days yet i still played it and learned the rules. Was real fun.

We'll see, I continue to play the demo.

Baseball is a really simple sport to understand, probably the easiest of American sports IMO. American sports are only really complicated with their obsession of breaking everything down into recordable stats and acronyms, for some reason they have to be able to reel off a bunch of numbers to judge a player's performance, they do that to football as well (real football) and football is such an incredibly simple sport it really doesn't need that.

Baseball is a really simple sport to understand, probably the easiest of American sports IMO. American sports are only really complicated with their obsession of breaking everything down into recordable stats and acronyms, for some reason they have to be able to reel off a bunch of numbers to judge a player's performance, they do that to football as well (real football) and football is such an incredibly simple sport it really doesn't need that.

i want you to go read an NFL offensive or defensive playbook, and then tell me only stats make it complicated, but yes i agree baseball is the simplelest of football, baseball and basketball.

i want you to go read an NFL offensive or defensive playbook, and then tell me only stats make it complicated, but yes i agree baseball is the simplelest of football, baseball and basketball.

Yes but a playbook is not part of the core fundamentals of the rules of gridiron and how gridiron is played, they are just extended facets of it, same as with football, the objective is to kick the ball into the opponents net more times than they kick it into yours but the way in which the two teams line up on the pitch is irrelevant to understanding the basics of the game, I understand the basics of all American sports without needing to know all of the intricacies involved, I certainly know enough about basketball to know it's a completely irrelevant waste of time, but then that's just me ;)

MLB2k8 is not evan in the same league as 08 the show this year...
i got 2k8 demo, just to delete it after 20 mim.
Its just ridiculous how they got this one a lot worst than 2k7, which was a huge improvment over the disgrace of 2k6.

about the show, the game is pure baseball. PURE. im having a blast! its worth every penny i spent importing it.

Yes but a playbook is not part of the core fundamentals of the rules of gridiron and how gridiron is played, they are just extended facets of it, same as with football, the objective is to kick the ball into the opponents net more times than they kick it into yours but the way in which the two teams line up on the pitch is irrelevant to understanding the basics of the game, I understand the basics of all American sports without needing to know all of the intricacies involved, I certainly know enough about basketball to know it's a completely irrelevant waste of time, but then that's just me ;)

neither are stats...... so why did you bring that up :)

Back
Top Bottom