Midnight Club: LA (360/PS3)

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
Anyone got this or getting this? I'm still undecided. Trailers and reviews say its great... its also another Rockstar game. They just say its really hard, but other than that its great.

Gametrailers.com - Midnight Club: Los Angeles - Launch Trailer

GameSpot
10/21/2008
7.5 out of 10
75.0%

IGN
10/20/2008
8.5 out of 10
85.0%

GameSpy
10/21/2008
4.5 out of 5
90.0%

Eurogamer
10/20/2008
8 out of 10
80.0%

UGO
10/20/2008
A-
90.0%

PlayStation: Official Mag (US)
12/1/2008
4 out of 5
80.0%

Edge Magazine UK
12/1/2008
7 out of 10
70.0%

I really enjoyed the other MC games, I'll possibly get this next year or something, too many other games out that I want more.

Have to say it looks pretty mediocre. Hope the gameplay makes up for the poor graphics.

Not really fussed about driving games anyways have Wipeout :))

tried it, think it's meh. not good, not bad, but nothing special. great looking l.a., that's about it.

will wait for the new need for speed.

Bah I despise Need For Speed. If I had to get one 'street' racing game it would be Midnight Club. I will probably pick this up once it gets cheaper.

i had the same feelings and allways prefered mc on the old gen consoles, but this part is a let down for me.

Hmmm... most reviews are saying the same thing... amazing gfx but mehhh campaign. It doesnt seem like it would last me very long. Might wait for a lower price.

Played this last night and here are my views

Firstly we are being treated to some very graphically impressive games lately and this is up there with them. The cars looks great, the city even better and the way the GPS zooms in and out looks brilliant as well

The game itself is just good fun, the difficulty is hard but with these kind of games the idea it not to make mistakes, so your blitzing through the city at 150mph hardly using the breaks to corner or anything so its just adrenaline fuelled racing.

You really concentrate because you know 1 mistake will drop you to last although if you drive perfectly for the rest of the race after the crash you can still come first and its great when your in last place and you get a slip steam nitro to take them all on the last corner

I don't think i would play it on my own though, its one of them games that needs 2 or more people and you take a race each to keep it fresh. At times my mate won a race and i needed to win to claim the series so then the pressure is on and that's when you get the full effect of the game, the music adds to it and gets you really into it as well.

Oh and the modding is brilliant, so much you can buy and tweak. We started with a VW MK II GTI and got it looking awesome before we set out for any races, so im looking forward to doing the better cars up.

So don't worry about the difficulty that reviews mention, if you crash it will give you a chance to get back into it, but to win a race (i wouldn't say comfortably) you need to drive very well which isn't that hard in a arcade type racer anyway because you can corner at 120 :))

I must say,this is a decent game.

Graphics are lush, with a slight touch of GTA4 in there.

Should be good fun online(fingers crossed)

I think it's just a next-gen MC. If you liked the previous versions, you'll like this. Although I hear it's REALLY difficult pretty early on.

Maybe better renting it first?

I've only played one earlier version and I really hated it, but I keep seeing the advert and thinking "that looks good".

What the hell is up with the lack of demos lately? We've had a month of GOTY titles (with another month yet to come) and the only demos I can see are Lego Batman and Tomb Raider Let's See How Long We Can Continue Making Tomb Raider Games For Without Going Bust (Then We'll Blame It On The Credit Crunch).

From what I played, this game has gorgeous graphics and a real sense of speed. Its not as hard as people say... i found it just right. I like my games challenging though. The map is quite huge and very nice... the choice of licensed car customization is also awesome. I made a crappy old VW look hot and sexy.

What's the handling like? Easy to fly around corners? I'm presuming it's more arcade than simulation, what would you compare it to? Test Drive Unlimited, Burnout Paradise...?

(I would say Test Drive was arcadey but sterile, whereas Burnout was mad and fun as hell)

I think the handling is quite balanced to be honest (mix of arcade/simulation), a bit like PGR, but less skidding about in circles (that was annoying). But to be fair, I was driving with the starter cars, which had a very strong sense of weight when I accelerated. The turning is quite easy since theyre trying to keep a fast and playable pace to the game. I didn't find any problems with handling, or anything worth noting.

One nice touch is the interior view and the engine noises some cars make/have. Also, the better cars you buy, the greater sense of satisfaction when you drive them. I test drived a Lambo and it just felt very smooth when I accelerated.

Sold, I liked the handling in PGR (just not the event system). I'll have to get this shortly.

Driving around the city in a customized car is just so nice.... its like driving around Liberty City in GTA IV.... just so nice. The weapons are quite cool too... theyre not weapons per se.... but you can use them against other racers to temporary slow them down. I'd say this game is more of a renter, but if you liked Burnout for so long, I dont see why you won't like this (apart from a far less crazy collision system).

I am enjoying this burned 16 hours and only done 26% and barely have any decent cars yet just got Evo and done it up. Graphics are nice using the GTA IV engine and also get in car view which is bonus what i use all the time. But like most of these games look nice closeup but in distance not so much but hey thats to look forward to in future.

There different races throughout map and host of challenges from ones driving around to time trials and tournaments nice mix. Also Delivery and Payback missions on payback basically got to smash 5 cars when you reach them a time limit will activate. Handling wise very decent what expect from arcade racer really can get away with ridiculous turns but still feel weight on muscle cars. Loads of tuning options aswell all you need really can even change colour of dial on dash and not to mention about 5 different mixed colours you can have for all parts of interior so alot to play with. Also looked at the rate my ride online dam some people made some really nice designs you can also buy them. Bit like Forza in that aspect but search button needed big time the Skittles and Gears of War 2 one are good ones i seen so far few others aswell.

Oh and watch out on pink slips find RX8 nightmare lost 3 cars to it lol they got them all so have to win them back but only store 3 so if dont win lose car.

I was unsure about this game but enjoying it nothing fantastic but it does what it says on tin but as review said it needs innovation its basically next gen version of old games.

Weapons?! Now I'm confused, what do you mean?

There are some upgrades you can install in your car that do stuff to opponents. One of them is some electrical wave that disables cars around you within a certain radius for a few seconds. Another makes your car go on 2 wheels on one direction to get through tight traffic or tight turns etc.

CB i pretty much answered all of your questions with my first post
Oh yeah, so you did. Good post. :CW:

What do you lot think is better this or the new NFS?
Good question, NFS has been crap for years and I would suspect it's the same this year (the handling is awful, it's not fun). BUT, they're going back to the whole "speeders v police" thing that used to be in one of the original NFS games, and I loved that game. So I'm keeping an eye out for it.

Nobody will have played it yet though, it's not out until the 21st; I might wait until then before getting either, that way Midnight Club will be cheaper and hopefully there will be a demo of one or the other.

Try driving a Bike with the cockpit cam :SHOCK:

On a big screen you cant help but lean yourself and you actually feel like your going fast its weird

Back
Top Bottom