Microsoft Xbox 360

Re: XBox 360 - Official Thread

According to GamesIndustry.biz, because of differing chipsets both on the Xbox 360 motherboard and graphics card, Xbox backwards compatibility will be a matter of "recompiling" individual Xbox games for Xbox 360. So say Microsoft. Worms... Can of... Open? Does this mean you'll need to buy new versions of your old games for Xbox 360? Or will Microsoft provide them free? Or is everyone grasping the wrong end of the backwards compatible stick here? First up either way are the two Halo games.

I find it fascinating to hear people talk about backwards compatability. How many PS1 games have you played on your PS2?? For me, None. How many PS2 games am I likely to play on the PS3?? Probably None. Same goes for the Xbox, however if backwards compatability is an issue then I will keep my Xbox.

Most current gamers don't care about backwards compatability, it's mainly used for marketing.

I'll probably be trading my XBox in to get the new machine anyway, so I don't give a toss about backwards compatibility.

I dont care if its backwards compatible or not, but it would be nice if it is. Would save me a lot of space in my house anyway.

backwards compatibility is rarely used! I admit I played 2-3 games os PS1 on my PS2, but was over 2 years ago!
It's marketing purposes only. It's simply another thing to add to the features of the machines!
It's practicaly useless for me!

Revan said:
backwards compatibility is rarely used! I admit I played 2-3 games os PS1 on my PS2, but was over 2 years ago!
It's marketing purposes only. It's simply another thing to add to the features of the machines!
It's practicaly useless for me!

goddamn, if PS3 wasn't backwards compatible, how the hell would I bust out my PS1 Beckham Soccer?

Yeah because they are the only pieces of kit with Power chips in...pretty obvious choice if you ask me.

FIFA 06 looks big time bullshit.

look at madden and compare it to fifa.what a huge difference...dunno how ea can't keep any quality into their footie games...losers!

987414nd.jpg

Last edited:

nicely rendered skidmarks though! ;)

:lmao:

Check out those Rigid, Gravity Defying Shorts ?

What happened to Next Gen Cloth & Texture Effects ? :shock:

The shorts in WE8LE are better than that.

OPM said:
FIFA 06 looks big time bullshit.

look at madden and compare it to fifa.what a huge difference...dunno how ea can't keep any quality into their footie games...losers!

987414nd.jpg

Something must be going on off the ball as none of the fans are paying attention :lol:

How do EA always manage to make the kits and players look completely shite? They always just look wrong for some strange reason. Like they are deformed or something. :(

yep looks pathetic. pes4/we8 looks miles better.

Ive gotta say though, not a lot of xbox games have made me think 'wow'.

Gears of War is the only title shown at e3 for xbox 360 which made me think that it was on a next gen console.

Im not too sure what you guys think, but dead or alive 4 looked like it was on current gen. The background and interaction were obviously more advanced, but the character detail and movement was identical to current gen IMHO.

Its a bit frustrating seeing that ps3 was looking more impressive even though xbox 360 is out months before. I wish microsoft had a games demo to match the fight night presentation on ps3, that was awesome!

Adonis said:
Ive gotta say though, not a lot of xbox games have made me think 'wow'.

Gears of War is the only title shown at e3 for xbox 360 which made me think that it was on a next gen console.

Im not too sure what you guys think, but dead or alive 4 looked like it was on current gen. The background and interaction were obviously more advanced, but the character detail and movement was identical to current gen IMHO.

Could not have put it better Myself.

Agreed.

Although E3 wasn't that great from Microsofts point of view (although they would argue otherwise), I do feel they will come strong over the summer and leading up to launch.

To me "The Outfit" looks class, sure it isn't using the unreal engine which people are way too obsessed about at the moment, however it is worthy of next gen inmy opinion.

I also think Perfect Dark Zero will blow everyone away when it is released, 50 players online at once :shock: Also PGR3 wasn't shown so we have that to look forward to over the next few months.

Come on everybody, that pic has got to be a fanboy made up pic, no way in the world would EA let that into a full game.

Though XB=>XB360 wont be as big a jump as PS2=>PS3, everyone has to remember that 1st Generation games are usually pretty damn poor to what machines do 2-3 years later. Look at the PS2, it's only just doing games like God of War now, that's about 8 years after developers have got been working with it.

No one really knows what PS3 games will look like, so until and ACTUAL game is shown playing on an actual PS3, I think we can only speculate and push spec numbers about. Remember the early demos of the PS2 and it's emotion engine, we were blown away, but we never actually played things like them.

The 360 will have a few games of quality at launch, PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero I think will be AAA titles, but a year later or so, PGR4 and PDZ II will probably be pushing the machine much harder. So come on lads, lets get a grip, get gaming on whatever console ya like and post what games people might have missed, we're all beyond the school playground now I think

Holio said:
Come on everybody, that pic has got to be a fanboy made up pic, no way in the world would EA let that into a full game.

It isn't fanboy made :D Seriously if you watch the MS press conference, or even go to IGN and download it, it really looks that bad. However, it will have been early dev code so lets not give then too much of a hard time.

BTW a great example of the in-game vs pre-rendered arguement is with The Outfit.

Here is a screenshot

the-outfit-20050517061949825.jpg

I think that looks cool, especially when you see it running. Yet if you go to the official site and watch the trailer you can see the graphics comparison.

If MS had showed that trailer, everyone would be expecting those graphics. However that kind of graphical style is just not possible or practical in games (IMHO). Next gen gfx will be a higher res version of what we have now, sure there will be more detail and the later games will be awesome, but as holio said. I don't think the leap will be huge. I'm quite happy to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom