Lumines Supernova (PSN)

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Released 23rd December on US Store.

Really liked Lumines on the PSP and I'm not normally a puzzle fan - but I'll be getting this one.

$14.99 BTW...

I loved Lumines but £14.99? I might have a look at the LBP one or a demo of this first

$14.99 - about £7 like most the PSN games.

Think they will do DLC for it too - like new skins, songs and (if its not in this version), there is a LBP theme too.

What exactly do you do on it, I've looked at pictures and it looks a lot like Tetris. If it's got trophies I'll probably get it.

You basically make squares (rectangles, L shapes etc...) out of blocks of four smaller squares made up of two alternate colours. There is a bar that sweeps the screen and clears the completed shapes on a rolling basis. It's pretty funky although I've only ever played the version thats on my phone, it's the one mobile game I'd play when in a waiting room or what not, it has different modes and head to head "boss" battles which can be entertaining.
Even on the phone it seems to be pretty based around the music, so I'd imagine the proper versions would have decent tunes to Lumine along to. :)

$14.99 - about £7 like most the PSN games.

Think they will do DLC for it too - like new skins, songs and (if its not in this version), there is a LBP theme too.

ah 14 dollars.. i read it as pounds like a divvy.

Well i guess 7 quid isn't too bad. I paid £7.99 for age of booty and i think it's worth every penny (with a map editor as well!)

What exactly do you do on it, I've looked at pictures and it looks a lot like Tetris. If it's got trophies I'll probably get it.

Think Dar pretty much summed it up, but just to expand... it is a puzzle game (of course) pretty much as Dar explained, but its the fusion of colour and sound that makes it unique.

As you play, there is a thumping soundtrack playing behind you and each action you take on the screen adds to the music - like moving the blocks, making shapes, dropping lines etc. You notice it at first, then gradually it becomes part of the game, dragging you in.

Its by the makers of 'Rez' which did something similar. In the first game, the soundtrack was pretty much unknown and the songs were great (the first level song, 'Shining' is particularly awesome) and Lumines II on the PSP introduced licensed tracks - which I personally didnt like.

I hope Supernova goes back to the J-Pop/Rock...

Grabbed this last night just after midnight - there is a free level pack DLC online too which is good to see after the 360 fiasco.

Classic Lumines play and the first song in particular is cracking again (its no 'Shining' though). Only played it for about an hour, so didnt go massively into it, but looks like lots of different modes, trophies, a kind of level editor and (local I think) multiplayer.

Recommended :))

When is this due for our PSN? I had a look earlier but couldn't see it anywhere, and I need my USN PSN money for LPB downloads. Unless I've missed it. I like the sound of it.

When is this due for our PSN? I had a look earlier but couldn't see it anywhere, and I need my USN PSN money for LPB downloads. Unless I've missed it. I like the sound of it.

"Q1 2009" - No actual date yet.

It should be on the US store - I got it last night :))

Back
Top Bottom