Lost: Via Domus

Can we realistically beat the shit out of Ben every 5 minutes in the game then? I do hope so.

Looking forward to this one, obviously, I'm Lost-mad. Just hoping there's loads of things to do exploration-wise and relationship-wise away from the main mission, and the possibility to change the outcome of future events by shooting someone dead who was meant to live.

I would kill Juliet straightaway.

A few people on a forum I visit have played it, and they thought it was pretty rubbish :(

Thanks for warning us about a game you aint played :TU:

Its not going to take a genius to work out that this is gonna suck Coopz. Limited gameplay videos (if any), no magazine previews/reviews...

Oh yea, this is gonna suck the big one...

Stupid cash in - dont think you could make a game from 'Lost' as its narrative driven anyway, not as if its action packed. 40 odd people trapped on a island and ... not much happens. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the show, but its the story and flashbacks that keep me engrossed, not the balls-out action sequences.

Like making a video game of Eastenders...

Its not going to take a genius to work out that this is gonna suck Coopz. Limited gameplay videos (if any), no magazine previews/reviews...

Oh yea, this is gonna suck the big one...

Stupid cash in - dont think you could make a game from 'Lost' as its narrative driven anyway, not as if its action packed. 40 odd people trapped on a island and ... not much happens. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the show, but its the story and flashbacks that keep me engrossed, not the balls-out action sequences.

Like making a video game of Eastenders...

Exactly mate! :SAL:

Just because it's LOST you all expect it to be amazing. If it didn't have the big license no-one would give a shit - the videos on Gamer TV & screenshots all look pants.

Sounds alright. I'm getting it anyway, I must. There's countless things from the show I want to see done in the game, if they're possible. If they're not possible, I still want to play through the thing and feel as much a part of the real TV programme as possible, as I'm rather bloody sad.

Agree with you 100% about Ben and Julie. If I have to listen to them speak right in front of me and I can't shoot them in the head, several times, with a shotgun, and then beat their heads in with the butt... It's going to be a frustrating game.

This is going to sound terrible, but I think that review is written by a woman - and whilst there is no problem in that at all, lots of females like video games nowdays (my own GF is big game fan) - my point is, she is saying "its great if you love Lost" and I think she has got caught up in the whole Lost bandwagon.

Once again, we get no real details on gameplay, level structure etc. To me, it still just looks like an undirected wander around the Lost island with the characters thrown in.

Has ANYONE seen any decent vids of this game - I mean gameplay? Who is the enemy? What do you have to do? Whats the goals? Have you got a health bar? Are there weapons in the game? How do the 'days' play out (which is a big thing in Lost)...

Nah, the whole thing stinks of cash-in...

I had a go

basically you have little missions to do, like help the survivors follow the dog. The main parts are the flashbacks in which you have to take a photo of a certain point to get your memory back and progress through the story

the only problem is that it will just start over again if you miss the key picture, like i did with Kate and the handcuffs about 4 times :))

Last edited:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2008/02/26/lost_disappoints.html

Lost disappoints
Playing through Lost is reminiscent of games - albeit graphically improved - from 15 years ago.
February 26, 2008 6:23 PM

I'm a big fan of Lost the TV show which is the only reason I'm persevering with Lost the videogame. Well, that and a probably misplaced belief that adventure games - think Monkey Island, Broken Sword etc- can still be relevant in 2008. Despite some nice production - "Previously on Lost" before each chapter, authentic music etc - there are far too many design flaws. In fact playing through Lost is reminiscent of games - albeit graphically improved - from 15 years ago. Instant death, invisible barriers, items that are only "activated" when you have spoken to the correct character - these are just some of the gaming anachronisms included. Instant death is the main offender. Even at the start of the game players are penalised if they get too close to the wrong kind of debris on the beach. The rest of the beach is blocked by - eek - invisible barriers and a small pile of luggage. Nice.

Things don't improve when you leave the beach. Enter the jungle - avoiding the "black smoke"- and laugh out loud as the game forces you to restart the section if you hit an invisible boundary by going the wrong way. Progress is made by finding the next piece of debris and pressing the button to point you in the direction of the next item - a clumsy mechanic in a game full of them.

And then there are caves. These pitch black areas are only navigable with a torch that needs relighting after about 5 seconds. Stay too long in the dark - say 10-15 seconds - and you "die". Try walking in the dark - in a direction you know is the right way because you could see it when you had the torch lit - and you invariably fall down a hole. Fun? Nope.

What else? A fiddly and tedious trading game is included, presumably to encourage you to pick up the coconuts and water battles that scatter the island.

But despite all this I am still persevering. The glimpses of back-story are intriguing and the chapters - there are 7 - are quite short so I'm guessing it won't be the longest game in the world (a plus point in my book). Plus big budget adventure-type games are rare, especially on consoles. Most importantly it is Lost and fans are likely to tolerate the clunky gameplay. So I'm sticking with it for now but even a third of the way in it's clear that Lost is not the new dawn of adventure games that I hoped it may be.

I'm in the caves and as it's said in the previous post, it's incomprehensible. It's nice but not fun. I have to keep trying but it's not looking very good.

Just got to Episode 2, seems alright so far. Sawyer's voice is ridiculous and the controls are a bit crap but I like how it's presented. I'll stick with it as it's only a short game.

As I said in my previous post, it's not good. It's nice to interact with characters you know, but there's no depth in this game. Very boring and poor. I gave up in chapter 4 I think.

Back
Top Bottom