Kick Off Revival

Placebo, you must be made up!

TBH games like this belong in the past as fond memories, I really wouldn't have any interest playing this or Sensi or anything from 20+ years ago, probably why I find all the indie games on PSN a load of crap as well, I remember when that kind of game was AAA, why would I want to play a sideways scroller of the like in 2015? :)

For me their best game wasn't kick off it was player manager and player manager 2, brilliant game, I used to sit and write out the name and stats of every single player then each season when they were updated write the new stats down to see if they had improved or declined etc. etc. :)

• Staff
If you read the quote from Dino Dini (I follow him on Twitter and he's an arrogant prick, even in an industry that does throw up the occasional arsehole), he actually makes it sound like a type of football game that's missing from the market - the "missing link". It's a 3D football game where it's hard enough to keep the ball (let alone dribble with it), and everything is manual straight out of the box:

So, what can you expect from the new Kick Off? The important things will not change. The ball is not stuck to your feet; you can shoot the way you want; aiming and swerving the ball will be 100% under your control.

The game is going to be in 3D, but only because it is actually easier to make games like that these days. I may offer different camera views, but the default views will be the classic top down approach of Kick Off 2 and GOAL!, perhaps with small adjustments.

The spirit will be that of the old games, but designed with the modern hardware in mind. This is particularly true of the controllers. 25 years ago home computers used an eight-direction joystick with one button. These were digital, not analogue. You could only aim in eight directions. The new game will make full use of the analogue controls, and the gameplay is tuned to work with these. The effect is that the feel and the spirit of the original game is retained, but the possibilities for precision and skill are vastly improved.

If they put a lot of work into it I reckon it could be a pretty decent little game, as long as they DO put work into it rather than just porting the original...

Last edited:
He seems to pop up every 3-5 years to announce he's working on a new Kick Off or Goal (Kick off series was far superior to Goal) and then it never comes to fruition so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out...

Loved these games, but as Placebo said sometimes it isn't the best idea to look at them again.

I played on an emulator the likes of Kick Off, Player Manager and once you've been spoiled with the new games, it's a different feel when you play them.

Mind you these games will always have special memories due to the fun and time dedicated to these games that I had.

My favs were Kick Off: Return to Europe, Player Manager 1/2 and Goal.

FD

Back
Top Bottom