Juventus coach Antonio Conte banned for 10 months

Benni

Banned
7 May 2012
Juventus coach Antonio Conte has been banned for 10 months in relation to a match-fixing investigation.

The coach of the reigning Serie A champions had been accused of failing to report alleged match-fixing involving Siena when he managed them in the 2010-11 season in Serie B.

Conte failed to report attempts to influence the outcome of two Serie B matches against Novara and AlbinoLeffe.

The 43-year-old had a plea bargain deal rejected by the Italian federation (FIGC) earlier this month, a proposal which would have seen him serve a three-month suspension and pay a fine of €200,000 (£157,000), and the federation have now confirmed the 10-month sanction.

Grosseto and Lecce have both been excluded from Serie B for the 2012-13 campaign for their part in the Scommessopoli scandal, with both clubs' former presidents banned for five years.

Charges against Conte of direct involvement in match-fixing were dismissed last month, but the FIGC are satisfied he was aware it was taking place during his time with Siena.

His assistant coach at Juve and formerly at Siena, Angelo Alessio, has also been banned for eight months, while former Lecce president Giovanni Semeraro and former Grosseto president Piero Camilli are facing even longer suspensions.

A statement from the FIGC read: "(These are) the judgments issued today by the National Disciplinary Committee, chaired by Sergio Artico,in relation to two cases of match-fixing.

"Among the officials, the more severe penalties are those of the president of Grosseto, Camilli, and the former president of Lecce, Semeraro, (for both a five-year ban); the disqualification of 10 months for Antonio Conte, currently coach of Juventus, and for eight months his deputy Angelo Alessio."

Semeraro sold Lecce in June, ending an 18-year association with the club.

In a statement released by the FIGC, it was confirmed Serie B side Novara have been docked two points while top-flight Bologna and fourth-tier Ancona face fines of 30,000 euros and 10,000 euros respectively.

Lecce have also been fined 30,000 euros in addition to their demotion, having been accused - along with Grosseto - of direct involvement in match-fixing rather than the lesser charge of failing to report it.

The FIGC also confirmed former Bari defender Nicola Belmonte has been banned from football for six months but six other players - Leonardo Bonucci, Simone Pepe, Marco di Vaio, Salvatore Masiello, Daniele Padelli and Giuseppe Vives - have been acquitted of the charges against them.

In total, 45 people and 13 clubs were under investigation, among them Conte's old club Siena, who last week accepted a six-point deduction in a plea bargain deal.

Serie A newcomers Torino, Serie B side Varese and relegated Albinoleffe will pay fines of 30,000 euros and begin the season with one-point penalties after their plea bargains were also accepted.

Juventus issued a statement saying they would offer their help in an appeal against the bans for Conte and Alessio.

"Juventus Football Club warmly welcomes the acquittal of its players Leonardo Bonucci and Simone Pepe, and reiterates its full support for Antonio Conte and Angelo Alessio in the hope the next stage of the process will finally prove their innocence," read the statement.

"A group of legal professionals have been appointed by the individuals concerned and, with the full support of the club, is already working to prepare grounds for an appeal."

:BYE:

Match fixing again?!
This the same scandal discussed in the Serie A thread, isn't it?

Italian football has suffered a lot a lot in the last decade, just when Juventus got back to the top it looks like it all might start to crumble a bit again.

What a joke.. this whole event has showed how flawed our justice system is.. and how the FIGC fucked up big time. Antonio is found guilty when (1 or 2 witnesses) accused him, which by the way by doing that those two witnesses would receive a less harsh punishment. So 1/2 witnesses accuse Conte of being guilty, and over 20 players/staff who worked with Conte say he's innocent. The argument of one of the witnesses was that he heard Conte mention it in the locker room, which I find quite strange since he was the only one to hear it?

I don't know what to say about Juve this season, luckily he can still coach our team in the training grounds, but I'm worried we will miss his personality on the side lines. This event has really pissed me off and put me off from watching Italian football this season.. all I can say is round of applause for the fucking idiots in our judicial system, FIGC & the culprits behind the match fixing.

I don't know why and I'm going to stick my neck out on this, but I always felt the big guns at Inter are behind all this. I'm not saying that Conte or Juve or whoever are 100% innocent, in fact I think no one's 100% innocent, but I feel like some play their cards extremely close to their chest compared to others who were exposed. Someone is definitely doing it to take advantage of a situation.

People say the mafia are long gone, but the mentality is definitely still existing in some. We just don't really know all that happens behind the scenes.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

It is just strange to me how there was no mention of any match fixing by Siena until Conte brought Juventus on top of the table. It is strange coincidence that both match fixing scandals came out when Juventus was on top.

Also strange is that there were evidences that Inter was also involved in "Afera Calciopoli", but not that those evidences weren't used to punish them, but they also were awarded two titles they haven't won.

I just hope that Conte will be able to work with team. If I am not mistaken, he could be on the side line in Champions League games too.

No,the ban counts for CL too I think.But football is the same everywhere...
The "big guns" want everything for themselves,and usually these "big guns" are the teams of the capital... It's the same here in Greece.The "POK" fix matches,but other teams are punished just because they got on top.And they fix matches in a different,"under the table" way.It all involves more money than normal to the champion,and the champion happens to be,by a laughable "coincidence",always Olympiakos or Panathinaikos.And,as they get the money,and build teams that bring them the championships together with referee help.And the disgrace is,they put the referees THEY want.All these have been constantly revealed by "insiders" who have,coincidentally always,been either convicted,or taken out of their positions.It's the same in most of the top leagues...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom