I've got a real problem with XP here...

matherto

20 times 20 times Man United
13 October 2004
St. Helens, Merseyside.
Manchester United
I was trying to remove users on a PC as it's being given to one of my dads friends.

I went into user accounts and tried to delete the users, but it wouldn't let me.

So I changed to account with administrator privileges to a User account, and now it won't let me change it back.

Plus it won't let me delete them still.

The main aim of all this was to make sure you didn't need a password to login at the beginning of XP.

I have a feeling its got something to do with it being an ex-work computer, and they've got weird levels of access and things or something.

Any thoughts?

Probably the user privileges for admin accounts were change by the Administrator account. If you have the Administrator account you could change that.
Try going into safe mode (F8 at boot). Choose the Administrator account, (would be good if you had the password), and through there you should be able to change everything you want. Since the Administrator account is basically XP's godmode. :))

Well apparently the administrator account is hidden, unless you find it, and the password is always 'adminstrator' unless you change it.

But I have the feeling when it was a work PC they changed all of them. And I've removed the one administrator on the system anyway.

Well apparently the administrator account is hidden, unless you find it, and the password is always 'adminstrator' unless you change it.

But I have the feeling when it was a work PC they changed all of them. And I've removed the one administrator on the system anyway.

When going in safe mode it should appear.

But even if it's hidden try this.

At the welcome screen press ctrl+alt+del a few times till a box appears in which you have to type in both the username and pass. If that doesn't work enter the system with admin rights and then head to Control Panel, then to user accounts, then uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen", then next time the box will appear on the welcome screen. just log off.

go to run and type "control userpasswords2"

This will bring up a box like in the photo:

users.jpg

If you first click on the name of the user you wish to log on automatically then untick the box in the circle and press OK. Then it will prompt you to put in that user's password, next time your computer boots up it will automatically log on as that user :)).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom