ISS Pro '98

matherto

20 times 20 times Man United
13 October 2004
St. Helens, Merseyside.
Manchester United
Didn't know quite where to put this, seen as it's a PSX game, and it's not Pro Evo.

Recently bought it off eBay (along with the original ISS Pro), and if I remember correctly. You could edit the names in '98. I remember changing Ronaldo from Ronarid and so on.

Anyone have an FAQ at all for the real player names?

I know it's a longshot but still...::D

And yeah, the original PSX games need a thread, so discuss your memories, etc.

ISS98 remains one of the best games ever made, and that's that. Never played the PSX vesion, but the N64 one was smooth as silk and awesome in every way.

The only thing I would want to change is a more distant camera angle so you see more of the field, and more realistic goalkeeper reactions and rebalanced shooting to match the goalkeeper responses.

If a new game took the core gameplay features and possibilities of ISS and incorporated them into a football game, it would be awesome.

The first experience of the PES/WE/ISS series was playing this game at "Football Football" in London, ages ago when I was really young. One of the guys there showed me how to do stepovers using the L1 button - I was instantly hooked :)

Yeah I still own ISS Pro Evolution 2 the graphics make
my eyes hurt but it is still playable and addictive
as it ever was.

The Kits are great aswell especially the club teams.

ISS98 remains one of the best games ever made, and that's that. Never played the PSX vesion, but the N64 one was smooth as silk and awesome in every way.
ahahah.. could one named KLEIMANN not enjoy ISS?

This is the reason I keep my N64 in working order I must admit.
I own both ISS64 (playing with Germany of course, hence my nickname) and ISS98, and both of them are truly amazing.

You know, graphics are horrible, kits are outdated, teams are just a few and there's no licensed player at all but hey, it's still enjoyable despite 10+ years having gone since.
Some of you could disagree but I'd say "who da funk cares about licenses" when you have a wonderful game to play? I mean, Kleimann + Klahold is the best couple of midfielders ever.

And what about the scenario mode? Some of them were kinda impossible.. and hey, 2v2 matches were lots of fun!!

Last edited:
Scenarios were ace. Thats one thing I did like about the N64 ISS releases. You could say in some ways that Konami need to go back to their roots...

Not to mention the controls were alot deeper than the current ones.

Analog aiming, analog height on shots, curling control so that you could decide if you wanted backspin for longer soaring crosses or topspin for the ball to dip down quickly etc.

If only the goalkeepers were more realistic and the camera was alot further away (FIFA injury, I now need to see atleast half of the pitch at all times :)), I would be playing it alot.

I also have the N64, though no video cable for the old TV. ISS98 and ISS2000, aswell as Perfect Dark and Zelda. Those were the days... :)

It was class imo, still better than several football games I've played years later.

There's one thing I never liked about this francise though: the goalies seemed to be somehow decerebrated on long range shots, especially free kicks.
Just try kicking a FK aiming at the GK, and then giving it a little curve like you kicked it with the outside.. then look at the GK totally missing the easiest catch ever.

But the way you could give effect to shots and even to long passes was great: with a little training you would have been able to put your man 1 on 1 with the keeper anytime you wanted (then keeper would have saved it anytime he wanted, but that's a different issue)..

Unfortunately I can't help you.. as I said before I didn't care that much about players not having their licensed names..

And to be honest, I've become so attached to some players that I've decided to re-create them also in PES5: I have an OF with most of the national teams made of non-licensed players taken from ISS, PES, FIFA (yes, also the licence-fest game at the beginning had NO licences!!), the Super Sidekicks series and so on..

So, sorry but I can't help you..

It was class imo, still better than several football games I've played years later.

There's one thing I never liked about this francise though: the goalies seemed to be somehow decerebrated on long range shots, especially free kicks.
Just try kicking a FK aiming at the GK, and then giving it a little curve like you kicked it with the outside.. then look at the GK totally missing the easiest catch ever.

But the way you could give effect to shots and even to long passes was great: with a little training you would have been able to put your man 1 on 1 with the keeper anytime you wanted (then keeper would have saved it anytime he wanted, but that's a different issue)..

Yeah, the curling was way too easy to do, even to the point where you could curl one direction and then switch it mid-air to curl in the other direction.
Still, there is just so much goodness hidden beneath that would just need some restructuring and rebalancing etc.

About the names, I'm sure it might be up on some old website or such, but I can only recomment google I'm afraid. :/

Do you guys remember how Batistuta was god-like in this game?
It was crazy!
He could make a shot from nearly anywhere and score!

BTW. I couldn't find any FAQ with the real names on it.. =/

Yeah i love[d] this game. And the fact that player attributes actually meant something. If Owen could beat the offside trap/lastman you could never catch him. Batistuta and shearer both had a 9/10 for their shooting ability and were god like. This is probably the one game i played daily the whole year with a mate. Always 1v1 with him usually being france and me being holland or england. Davids had an amazing shot aswell.

Had an excellent flow to the game, go ahead and you would be countering and hanging on defensively, go behind and it would be the other way around desperately defending henry counters and trying to keep possesion and work an oppertunity. And then if you managed to equalise it would turn into a midfield battle with little to no chances being made. Then the break through from a good midfield pass or mistake and you would be hanging on again trying to get another goal on the counter. Briljant!

ISS Pro certainly does =D

Got it today, you can't run in directions whilst holding R1, the passes are completely broken, the sounds are hilarious and so are the animations/graphics, and I absolutely adore it.

Do you guys remember how Batistuta was god-like in this game?
It was crazy!
He could make a shot from nearly anywhere and score!

BTW. I couldn't find any FAQ with the real names on it.. =/

Argentina in ISS 64 and ISS 98 were the best team ever!! Batigol, Ortega and Gallardo were lethal attackers, Simeone and Redondo great MFs and Ayala and Zanetti had the defense locked down. Plus the kit looked great. My friend had an awesome Germany as well. Best player in the game though? M'Bomba. Could play literally anywhere to great effect. Plus this game had an ace player creation mode. BRING IT BACK FOR PES!!!

My friend had an awesome Germany as well.

;) I understand perfectly why he played with Germany.

U7250-1202384286.png

BEST TEAM EVER!!

you're just jealous aren't you? yeah: I was in ISS64, you were not.

but you are not really far from the truth, just turn it around: my username is Kleimann just because Kleimann was in that wonderful team ;)

This is the reason I keep my N64 in working order I must admit.
I own both ISS64 (playing with Germany of course, hence my nickname) and ISS98, and both of them are truly amazing.
I loved to control the ball with the chest and do a bicycle kick from 30m. "Long shot" + "Volley" was the best combinaison of skills :). Batistuta was the best for that.

Keepers difficulty/super jumps were unreal but it was necessary for not scoring 20 goals on hard. I think I'm going to play the game tomorrow if I find my N64 :).

Back
Top Bottom