Is it safe to get a higher watt power supply for my computer?

BLaZiNgSPEED

League 1
25 August 2007
London, UK
Manchester United
Hello.
I have an IMEDIA X2414 Packard Bell PC.
The motherboard is Denver 10.

I use a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 OC card.
And my current power supply is a TRUST 570 Watt PSU.

The problem I am experiencing at the moment since getting a new 24 inch samsung monitor is that my PC will instantly shut down at times when playing games like Crysis Warhead on higher resolutions such as 1920x1200.

And I even played on open lid so heat is definitely not an issue since my current temperature on idle is about 49 degrees celcius and during game on Crysis Warhead its only about 70 degrees celcius.

The problem is somewhere else. My Powersupply is only 570 Watt PSU where as the graphics card requires at least 500 Watt at minimum.

A gamer on another forum told me that the PC is shutting down due to lack of electricity getting through all the components and that I required a higher Watt PSU and this problem will disappear with the PC shutting instantly down.

My question is this, is it safe to get a 1000 Watt or higher Power Supply unit for my PC. I am concerned whether my motherboard Denver 10 will burn out or anything.

What do you guys suggest and what PSU should I get?

Thanks!

It's safe getting a higher watt power supply as it just affects how much power it can supply in one go, not the level of voltage to the motherboard and components.

Don't just focus on the wattage, though, get a decent brand like Enermax, Tagan, Seasonic, Corsair and there are others. You probably won't need 1000 watts either especially if the PC is standard apart from the graphics card. 750 watts (decent brand) is likely to be good enough for a system with two high powered graphics cards, for example. (Bear this in mind)

Thanks for the reply.:))
Do I have to avoid cheap power supplies necessarily?
I heard that some may explode and damage your motherboard and graphics card.:SHOCK:
Luckily my £30 PSU never exploded:HAND:
I was wondering if this powersupply will be good? Although its quite expensive.http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134072#
Its a company called Hiper, I am not aware of it.
Do you reckon this would be a reliable brand and PSU to use?

Thanks!

I'd avoid the cheap ones myself even though you may get one and it turns out to do the job for you. That Hiper one would be a very good choice.

I decided to go for the Corsair 850W TX Powersupply instead.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152604# Although its more expensive £105.62, it i'll probably be more reliable.

I chose that instead since i've heard good things about it and haven't heard a single bad thing from any of the reviews which is why I went for it instead of the Hiper one.

Thanks anyway.:BYE:

Back
Top Bottom