Interview tips

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
As most of you will be aware I have a job interview tomorrow. Now the whole answering questions about past working experience and all that I am fine with but when it comes to the end of the interview and I am asked if I have any questions I aint got a clue what to say.

Anyone got any advice on this one?

Promotion/future prospects is always a good one, shows ambition.

Promotion/future prospects is always a good one, shows ambition.

Aye thats a good one, I was actually thinking about saying something like that. Makes me look like I actually want a job that goes somewhere and hopefully will make me stand out

Not sure about questions. But read a bit about the company etc. Then you can add a bit of that in when you speak. Or they may ask you a question on the company - so it always helps to know a bit about them before going in.

What is the company's 5-year plan?
What would be some of my duties in the first year of employment?
What do you [the employer] like most about working at the company?
What is the typical management style? Is the company's culture casual or formal?

What is the company's 5-year plan?
What would be some of my duties in the first year of employment?
What do you [the employer] like most about working at the company?
What is the typical management style? Is the company's culture casual or formal?

I will have to make notes on my iPhone :D

Oh and what colour shirt would be good with a black suit, I was gonna go for pink but Holio (who thinks he is Gok Wan) told me that would be a bad idea...

White or Blue - the only colours you should be wearing to an interview really if you want to be taken seriously.

Personally, I'd go with a white shirt with a black suit and a navy/black tie.

White or Blue - the only colours you should be wearing to an interview really if you want to be taken seriously.

Personally, I'd go with a white shirt with a black suit and a navy/black tie.

Simple but effective :TU:

Ask what their position is in the current climate and their growth prospects aswell as your potential growth. Also ask if they actively invest in employee education/courses or if its more ad-hoc during work experience.

Oh and obviously not Pink, that might work for an interview with Dermot but Im assuming you want to be taken seriously. And no comedy/cartoon ties!! I actually wouldnt bother with a tie, but then I don't need to be suited up for my sector. Just dress good without going over the top.

Ask what their position is in the current climate and their growth prospects aswell as your potential growth. Also ask if they actively invest in employee education/courses or if its more ad-hoc during work experience.

Oh and obviously not Pink, that might work for an interview with Dermot but Im assuming you want to be taken seriously. And no comedy/cartoon ties!!

I had a comedy tie clearout about a month ago, now I have some decent ties in my collection.

Goos questions these, I will try and memorise a few of them so I don't look a complete tool

No white socks!

What shoes are you wearing? Make sure to polish them if leather!

Basicly you want to dress in a way that doesnt draw any attention, whether good or bad, then they can focus on you, your skills and your equisite bald head! ;)

Last edited:
No white socks!

What shoes are you wearing? Make sure to polish them if leather!

Basicly you want to dress in a way that doesnt draw any attention, whether good or bad, then they can focus on you, your skills and your equisite bald head! ;)

You say that like my bald head is a great selling point, admittedly they could use it as an advertising space should they so wish but the money would have to be right

Here in Belgium what you wear is not important.
You can have a nice and expensive suit and have a sloppy appearance: that is bad.
You can have casual clothes (jeans, T-shirt) and not having a sloppu appearance: that is no problem.

I have one suit and i never wear it professionally.

What you never should ask: how much days off you will have.

And then there are a couple of "behavior rules".

When you speak to people never avoid eye contact.
Sometimes you have to do a presentation (power point or flip chart): do it standing up and never while being seated.

Inform yourself about the company, but if they ask something you don't know, just admit it.

And the most important thing: be yourself.

Good luck, i hope you'll have the job and that it turns out to be something you really like.

I think I wore my thinly striped shirt and rainbow striped tie. It was in the bag as soon as I walked through the door.

:LOL: hahaha dont be silly! If you're wearing a suit, get a nice crisp white shirt with a thin black tie and smart black shoes.

Try not to fidget or play with your tie or anything, just try and keep your hands still on your lap or something and if you want to ask a question the ones MJ and Tik said were good.

As most of you will be aware I have a job interview tomorrow. Now the whole answering questions about past working experience and all that I am fine with but when it comes to the end of the interview and I am asked if I have any questions I aint got a clue what to say.

Anyone got any advice on this one?

Do you have a pound for a trolley?

You say that like my bald head is a great selling point, admittedly they could use it as an advertising space should they so wish but the money would have to be right

Over here you can get tax-breaks if you have company advertising on your car. You might aswell propose it, what else do you do with it?

I GOT THE JOB!!!

Cheers for all the pointers lads, much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom