Indie Music - Old and New

Clockender

is back...but for how long?
27 November 2001
East Lower, Block 13
Arsenal FC
What are your favourite indie bands and tracks? Personally I have loved this genre of music for years and there are many tracks that I rank amongst my favourites. My favourite bands include:

Old skool:
James
Ride
Neds Atomic Dustbin
Carter USM
Inspiral Carpets
Curve
Echobelly
Placebo
Pulp
Shed Seven
Sleeper
Oasis
Blur
Suede
The Wonderstuff
The Smiths

Newer stuff:
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Feeder
Starsailor
Embrace
Doves
Athlete
The View
Reverand and the Makers

I love Definately Maybe, early Oasis is classic stuff. The Wonderstuff and Carter got me through College (yes I am that old!). My latest favourites are Reverand and the Makers, great album!

Discuss

Pinetop Seven
Two Gallants
Walkabouts
Wilco
Yo La Tengo
Cold War kids
Felice Brothers
The Apples in Stereo
The La's
Beirut
Blonde redhead
Bonnie Prince Billy
Calla
The Cinematic Orchestra
The Delgados
Einsturzende Neubauten
Elliott Smith
Great Lake Swimmers
Jim White
Joe Henry
Joseph Arthur
Lambchop
The Notwist
Sigur Ros
Sonic Youth
Steve Wynn
Tunng

Alright, even though Indie can't be defined as a genre, I'd say 90% of the stuff I listen to fits this tag perfectly.

Air Traffic
Architecture In Helsinki
Arctic Monkeys
Art Brut
Athlete
Babyshambles
Beirut
Bloc Party
Blur
The Bravery
Bright Eyes
Cold War Kids
The Cribs
CSS
Datarock
Death Cab For Cutie
Editors
The Fratellis
The Futureheads
Good Shoes
Hard-Fi
The Hives
The Holloways
The Hoosiers
I'm From Barcelona
Interpol
Kaiser Chiefs
Kasabian
Klaxons
The Kooks
Kubichek!
LCD Soundsystem
The Libertines
The Maccabees
Maxïmo Park
Modest Mouse
The National
Oasis
Of Montreal
Pinback
Pixies
Plain White T's
Radiohead
Shitdisco
Shout Out Louds
Sigur Rós
Snow Patrol
The Strokes
Tokyo Police Club
TV On The Radio
The View
The White Stripes
The Wombats
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I listen to way too much indie stuff. Definitely.

Jay, click this. :)

Jay you can also buy () from i-tunes.
If you like Sigur Ros, you must buy their DVD (limited edition) Heim...the best music DVD i ever saw...it's about summer concerts of the band in Iceland...the biggest concert ever in Iceland (Reykjavik) but also unannounced concerts in tiny litle villages, and in the majestic icelandic nature...

What, no dEUS gerd? :mrgreen: The Ideal Crash is in my top albums.

Clockender, you must remember PWEI too. I remember seeing Ride at Brixton Academy, supported by Mercury Rev. It must have been around 1990.
Same with Carter. I saw them at the ULU along with EMF, Bleach, The Family Cat...I remember it being a big bill.

This being an indie thread, i ought to plug my own band. (the first two songs are still being mixed). It's sort of Bloc Party, the Killers, Muse, Radiohead, the Strokes plus other stuff.

Clockender, you must remember PWEI too. I remember seeing Ride at Brixton Academy, supported by Mercury Rev. It must have been around 1990.
Same with Carter. I saw them at the ULU along with EMF, Bleach, The Family Cat...I remember it being a big bill.

This being an indie thread, i ought to plug my own band. (the first two songs are still being mixed). It's sort of Bloc Party, the Killers, Muse, Radiohead, the Strokes plus other stuff.

Cool band Nutmeg. What part are you in the band?

Yeah, you guys sound pretty good. The vocalist reminds me of Matt Bellamy, fantastic. :)

I'm addicted to Abandon, awesome track. Good luck. :D

Some of my favorite indie bands, or used to be, of all time:

Fugazi
Pixies
Sonic Youth
Les Savy Fav
Modest Mouse
The Shins

Nice one Nutmeg. I like the first 2 songs best, but the others are good too though. Good luck with getting signed, I hope you do. The vocalist reminds me of the guy from Manic Street Preachers mixed with a bit of The Hoosiers and I can see the Bloc Party comparison with the music. Top stuff.

I too think that the Prof's singer sounds like the guy from the Manic Street Preachers...i think that's flattering...he's a very good singer...

Yes Prof of course i forgot dEUS...in april their new album comes out...i like all their albums, but their is one phenomenal dEUS song that would be a worldwide classic if the band would have been English or American: Suds and Soda from their debut album Worst Case Scenario...

There are also quite a few very good spin offs from dEUS: Zita Swoon, Dead Man Ray...

PWEI, classic band! Loved them! Carter were my fave around that time must of seen them 8-9 times.

Still listen to Ride's first album now, Nowhere is excellent! Gonna listen to your stuff later.

Feeder have always been my favourite band.

Some of the stuff nowadays is so generic, you'd swear it was just one band.

Feeder are soooo good live! Any news on a new album do you know? I loved their last one, some fans thought it was too soft but musically it was their best imo.

I do not have any particular knowledge about indie music, but can Idlewild be considered an indie band?

if so, I'd suggest you "Scottish Fiction" by Idlewild..

I do not have any particular knowledge about indie music, but can Idlewild be considered an indie band?

if so, I'd suggest you "Scottish Fiction" by Idlewild..

Yeah of course they are great.

Just read my first post and can't believe I left out The Stone Roses!! Their debut album is one of the best ever IMO!

I love Art Brut, I heard "Direct Hit" on the fifa tracks and havn't gone back since, acually in my PES 6 on the PC, I imported all my favroute indie songs (and some chants) so now I won't have to put on WMP while playing :D

Oh, you know who are really good.

Obviously Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire ect.

But I love the Strokes song Hard To Explain:D

A couple of new things i discovered and that are great:

Muggison (the Icelandic Beck)
Mum

and then a great Irish band:

The Frames.

Boy they are great...

Ive got loads of these bands' albums. Guess I'll start adding the ones I don't have in the list :D

One band I didnt see, and is said to be the next big thing (NME) are Foals. Posted a livesession in the what am I listening to thread if anybody wants to give it a listen. Bloc Party esque, were/are their supportband.

Really good Prof - Enjoyed that. Let us know when it comes out.

The singer sounds a bit isolated though, I'm assuming backing is part of the mix? (or is that the point?)

Others from yesteryear worth a mention: The Bluetones (Chelsea Supporters), The Lemonheads and Grant Lee Buffalo.

What ever happened to Starsailor? I loved them.

Back
Top Bottom