HTC VIVE impessions

hitmanuk

International
23 October 2002
uk
So today I got the chance to spend 40 mins with VIVE virtual reality alpha.

I'm intrigued with vr at the moment but been somewhat underwhelmed with cardboard and gearvr after the initial wow factor

I got to try 4 apps but can't remember the names

App one was a shoot em up. The two controllers turn into pistols in front of your eyes which looked impressive and the idea is to shoot drones flying towards you. It did feel very immersive although I'm a bit disappointed with the resolution
The drones also fire back at you. Lift the controller up to the shoulder and the gun turns into a shield in front of your very eyes that you hide behind and shoot from ..very cool

2nd app was an office environment where you are given tasks..make a cup of coffee,eat a doughnut switch on your pc..this is all done within a cubicle and everything can be interacted with ..e.g you can pick up the coffee and throw it across the office . You can see this getting quite boring quickly but the tech is amazing and will create some stunning interactive games no doubt

The 3rd was an art program and I could spend hours on this..all your controls are on the guns ..I painted my name in front of me then you can physically walk around the art work..unbelievable ..I imagine in time cad work will be done this way

The 4th was underwater experience ..it was very immersive stood on a sunken ship deck and I geniunely didn't want to go near the edge it looked that much of a drop

The experience was great but there are cons

Cost will be around £1600 for cheapest pc and kit

The resolution was good but still not great

The lead connecting to the pc is huge ..the guy was holding the lead behind me as I walked..apparently you hook up the final version onto the ceiling on like a pulley system...hmmm

2 powered detectors are required at diagnosis in the corner of the room

Verdict
You're going to need a lot of money and a lot of space dedicated to vr ..I would suggest a spare bedroom to get the most out of it

Demo was fun though :)

Back
Top Bottom