Google Stadia

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by bsmaff, 10 June 2019.

1. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Surprised there is not a topic on this already.

Personally I think this is the absolute future of gaming.
    Cheap device @$129, a very reasonable $10 a month subscription charge.
    No 18 month old mid-range PC tech on launch.
    Hardware on the servers will be constantly evolving and upgraded to provide a 4K experience which if like the Nvidia Experience will be equivalent of gaming on an i7 with a 2x 1080Ti.

If this is as good as the Nvidia Experience there is no doubt consoles will be a thing of the past..

More information:-
    Stadia is a cloud gaming service operated by Google, claimed to be capable of streaming video games up to 4K resolution at 60 frames per second with support for high-dynamic-range, to players via the company's numerous data centers across the globe, provided they are using a sufficiently high-speed Internet connection. It will be accessible through the Google Chrome web browser, and also on smartphones and tablets.

The service is integrated with YouTube and its "state share" feature allows viewers of a Stadia stream to launch a game on the service on the same save state as the streamer. This has been used as a selling point for the service. It is compatible with HID class USB controllers, though a proprietary controller manufactured by Google with a direct Wi-Fi link to data centers will be made available alongside the service. Stadia is not like Netflix, requiring users to purchase games to stream via Stadia rather than pay for access to a library of games. While the base service will be free, a Pro tier monthly subscription allows users to stream at higher rates for larger resolutions, and the offer of free games to add to their library.

Known in development as Project Stream, the service was debuted through a closed beta running Assassin's Creed Odyssey in October 2018, with a public release planned in November 2019 in select countries. It competes with Sony Interactive Entertainment's PlayStation Now service, and Microsoft's Xbox Project xCloud.

2. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I'm in as soon as there's a game that can't be done on current consoles.

As it stands, I'd be paying £10 a month to stream something that I could play on my current PS/XB console, but with 4K graphics that aren't muddy because of compression, and with no latency issues.

Don't get me wrong - I'm genuinely very interested in it - but I'm waiting for them to announce something massive. A World War simulator with 1,000s of people playing at once in the same city-sized map (which is something they've said is possible with the technology). A football game with insane physics and/or AI.

3. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    So far I have not experienced any muddy or latency issues with the Nvidia experience on the Shield, but then it is probably all dependent on internet connection. They reckon you will need about 60MBPs for 4K gaming, so in real world sense that would more likely need you would need closer to 100. So in the UK you would need to have Virgin in your area or your pretty much screwed.
    I think it is one of those things you need to experience before believing what is possible.
    Since getting into the Nvidia beta, I don't touch my Xbox anymore for casual gaming, it is all there on the Shield ready to play.

The Nvidia app, just asks you to sign into Steam, Uplay and then your in.. Pretty much your whole game library is available to play in 4K and with loading times of a decent PC with an SSD.

The only problem is what will happen to gaming exclusives and I am pretty certain companies like Rockstar won't want Red Dead 3 being on a service like this as it will mean much lower revenues.
    So the main issue I can see is that you will need to pay $9.99 a month to access the service with a small selection of older games over 18 months old and you will need to pay top dollar for new games similar to the prices of PSN.
    Which is why I like the Nvidia solution, as since it uses your Steam account you can purchase the games very cheaply and have them available.

Last edited: 10 June 2019
  4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Well firstly, I'll never get Virgin where I live, so all this is a moot point for me (especially as I've got a 4K telly and 4K-capable consoles)... But...

From what I know, the images have to be compressed, otherwise it just wouldn't technically be possible. There's a very, very short clip of it here at 11:05 (and you don't get the benefit of it without watching it at full quality on a big-screen TV):

Compression means loss - and even if we're talking about a negligible loss and a negligible latency drop, there is a better-performing experience out there. So why would you choose the poorer one if you could afford the better one (which we're all doing right now)?

It's like asking a PC gamer to sell their £1,000+ PC and buy a £300 console to play their favourite racing game on at a slightly lower FPS. Is the difference going to be noticeable? If you're nerdy enough (I am), yes. So why do it, other than to save money, if you've got the platform (PC) and the game(s) already?

For no performance benefit?! As a PC gamer, you'd never do that!

(For a cost benefit, I get it - but I've read that new releases will be charged separately from the subscription fee, and if the new games are all available on other platforms, with even the slightest performance advantage, and available offline, and without completely destroying your bandwidth, why in God's name would you? So that you can play on a poxy phone screen? While the 4K telly gathers dust?)

Financially it's a great deal and if you don't already have a PlayStation and/or an Xbox and/or a PC - particularly if you're a casual gamer with no real time or inclination to own a console - I absolutely see the reason for it.

But gamers like us? I'm not seeing it - until a game comes along that simply can't be done with current console hardware.

That's what they've bragged about in their PR, and that's what I absolutely can't wait for. That's the real generational jump, chaining these things together to make a game that isn't possible with a single home console.

But it needs a developer to make that investment and create something incredible. All I'm seeing so far are games I can play elsewhere. A new platform needs its AAA title, a must-have game. I'm waiting for them to tell us where that's going to come from - I feel like devs are too scared to commit to that. Yet. (For fear of not getting back their investment.)

PRO_TOO likes this.