Google Nexus One phone

Reviews aren't too glowing at the moment. It seems a good phone in its own right and the OS is pretty good but it's not an iPhone beater apparantly.

Funny how in that comparison, he didn't mention the fact it took it 20 times to go back to the home screen, when he pressed the button on the Nexus :ROLL:

The N1 does look very nice, the speed in particular looks very impressive. But it definately lacks the smooth UI that the iPhone has.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple come up with in the summer for their new iPhone but I'm keeping my eye on the N1.

I havn't looked at any of the details, articles or videos of this phone, but how many of these supposed "iPhone beaters" do you hear about?...

It may have the hardware to compete, but I very much doubt that it will get the third-party/community support that the iPhone has, which in my opinion is the main thing which puts the iPhone ahead of other phones.

Android has got a pretty big following to be fair.
Yes it does plus you can customize it better than a iphone without "hacking/jailbreaking" it.

at CW. i need a phone for each day of the week :LOL:

AT everyone else, You guys do realize that the iphone cannot multitask right? Thats one of the major reasons why the iphone is soo smooth.

i am sure other devices would be as smooth as a iphone if it diddnt have multitask on it.

Lets see how smooth an iphone will be once they eventually add multi task to it.

Last edited:
Yes it does plus you can customize it better than a iphone without "hacking/jailbreaking" it.

at CW. i need a phone for each day of the week :LOL:

AT everyone else, You guys do realize that the iphone cannot multitask right? Thats one of the major reasons why the iphone is soo smooth.

i am sure other devices would be as smooth as a iphone if it diddnt have multitask on it.

Lets see how smooth an iphone will be once they eventually add multi task to it.
You can multitask on iPhone, and in my experience it runs very smoothly with a game/app, Beejive IM and music playing...

And who cares whether you have to jailbreak - it's not exactly difficult (2 min job) and once done it is very simple to modify, with a few good Google searches letting you know all you need to know.

im still messing with my iphone, got it today

took minutes to jailbreak, taking me longer to find things i specifically need

that backgrounder sounds interesting, any other stuff lads?

facebook app is very good

So how do i pause a game and check my email on a iphone/ipod touch?

Iphone doesnt have "proper" multitask on it. what it does have is push notifications. For example, Your IM is not really running fully in the background, it just listens out for new IM's using push notifications.

At least thats how it works in general but if you was to minimize an app or game and then get back to it, It will reload the app or game from scratch.

I ahve an app called twittertraffic and whenever i minimize it so to speak, it reloads the whole app again when i wanna access it. Its annoying sometimes as you cant do proper multitasking on a iphone/ipod.

What is this bakcgrounder? is that a form of multitask that can pause a game and open up another app or game?

How come many reviews say how phone X can multitask while iphone cant?

edit: It seems that only apple apps can multitask, not third party apps and games http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1021816.html

Last edited:

SBSettings is essential.

Other apps on my iPhone are;

TomTom
Categories
Flashlight
iFooty
My O2
Winterboard (essential if you want to change the theme of your board)
Last.fm
Scrobbl
Shazam
Five Icon Dock
FontSwap

For games, I like;

Canabalt
Bejeweled 2
Backbreaker
Flight Control
Harbor Master
Labyrinth 2
Doodle Jump
Minigore
Drop7
Moron Test
Spider
Zen Bound

Probably better this being in the Iphone thread though :)

This probably isn't the thread to talk about them in, but as your question was here i'll respond here :P.

I think the best Cydia apps are:

Backgrounder - Lets you multitask.
Multifl0w - Complements Backgrounder, makes switching between running processes very simple with a double tap of the home button bringing up an interface with snapshots of the screens, then you just tap it to bring that screen up.
SBSettings - When you swipe the status bar, it brings up a load of settings such as brightness, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AutoLock and Rotation and also has a task manager thing and a respring button.
AdBlock - Blocks ads on Safari
Categories - Lets you put your apps into folders, letting you have less clutterred home screens.
Five Icon Dock - Lets you put 5 things in the dock
MxTube/YourTube - Both of these are basically the same except YourTube is built into the original YouTube app and MxTube is a seperate app, they let you download YouTube videos for offline viewing.
WinterBoard - Used for all theme modifying.

If you need help getting any of those, PM me :).

Edit - I started typing this post before I saw Dags', I agree with his list :) I recommend the Cydia version of Flashlight, as the App Store version doesn't change the brightness :TU:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work on turning this into an iPhone thread lads ;)

As soon as the term 'iPhone beater' or 'iPhone killer' is associated with a new product, it instantly falls behind the iPhone. If people just stopped using that term, then maybe there won't be as much negativity associated with everything new. Only Apple will beat or kill the iPhone.

Last edited:
As soon as the term 'iPhone beater' or 'iPhone killer' is associated with a new product, it instantly falls behind the iPhone. If people just stopped using that term, then maybe there won't be as much negativity associated with everything new. Only Apple will beat or kill the iPhone.

that.

I dont agree. It's a general term that is used for anything that's leading the market. Natal and the Sony motion controller will be called "Wii beaters", if a new next-gen console came out then it'd be called a "360/PS3 beater", 3D TV is the "HDTV beater" etc etc. It's just saying that the iPhone is the best on the market and they think this is a good challenger.

Sooner or later, someone will make a phone better than the iPhone. It's not like Apple will always have the best phone.

Unless you're Tim.

I dont agree. It's a general term that is used for anything that's leading the market. Natal and the Sony motion controller will be called "Wii beaters", if a new next-gen console came out then it'd be called a "360/PS3 beater", 3D TV is the "HDTV beater" etc etc. It's just saying that the iPhone is the best on the market and they think this is a good challenger.

Sooner or later, someone will make a phone better than the iPhone. It's not like Apple will always have the best phone.

Unless you're Tim.

Well said

Back
Top Bottom