Good and Bad things about PES2013 DEMO

jammiedodger

Premiership
26 February 2009
Derbyshire
England
Thought a thread would be useful in pointing at all the things you like about the demo plus the things you don't like. Reading through the discussions post most people are loving most about this years efforts but there are still quite a few minor gripes.

Example;

GOOD

Player Reactions - AI seem to be more aware of whats going on around them.

Goalkeepers are much improved, not so many silly own goals by the GK and defence.

No more ridicilous speed merchant stuff we saw from pes 12 in its release, even players that are super fast and agile with speed merchants feel quite realistic compared to how players move in real life. Overall the whole movement of players feels very realistic in terms of speed and turning.

The Lob is finally as it should be, very high !! and now you can actually lob the keeper as players do in real life instead of that half lob half shoot thing we had before.

Dynamic touch makes beating players alot simpler and tricks are more effective.

Player ID is fantastic, a very great addition, I always thought something like this would make alot of difference and I was right, fantastic addition really.

Passing is great, ground or air passes it doesnt matter they both feel great, the weight, ball physics, differences with bad or good passers, manual passing, its simply great.

New defense system works a treat against high skilled attackers.

BAD

Player switching seems like it needs some improvement, to hit and miss.

Lack of atmosphere.

Players running on rails is still present alltho less than pes 12, still I would really like this to be removed alltogether.

Shooting, too accurate for my liking i can hit a screamer from anywhere. Also alot of shots which are whacked into the ground and bounce so high over the cross bar.

Hate how the opponent GK never take a short Goal Kick. Even when he has no one pressuring his defenders.

Some times when you try to make a quick pass your player will hang onto the ball and sometimes take another touch before releasing the ball.

Goalkeeper throws are too floaty.

When the opposing keeper has the ball you still have to jog, I should be able to sprint if I want whenever I want, should be fixed and its easy to fix it.

Sometimes on first touch passing your player will simply just tap the ball

Let me know if your gripes are the same or you have more which I may well agree with you. These small thing I hope can be fixed and truly make this year a great one for all pes fans.

Hope you all don't mind but the ones I agree with I'll add to mine.

Last edited:
Its hard to say, need to play alot more matches, but il share my thoughts so far.

I hope our feedback helps KONAMI in making a better game, alltho its looking very promising already, so here it goes:

GOOD

- Passing is great, ground or air passes it doesnt matter they both feel great, the weight, ball physics, differences with bad or good passers, manual passing, its simply great.

- Shooting overall is much improved over 2012, now the ball goes whatever way you want it to go, no more "middle shots" if you press left or right, you have full control of the direction.
The physics are also much better and you can now shot ground balls if you want aswell, just tap the shoot button.
The controlled shot is also much better and curves more.

- Dribbling is great, no longer do you get past ur man in pes 11 or 12 style when you simply turned 90 degrees to get past him (well 12 was better than 11 in this respect admitedly) but now it feels very generic and realistic how you get past ur players by timing and your skill means alot aswell, someone with low dribbling skills can't dribble at all.

- The stats matter ALOT more, this was one of my biggest issues with pes 12, the stat difference of lets say 73 or 79 at some attribute had little difference ( it had but it was little ), but now the stats make alot of difference and you can really see what player is good at which things much more.

- Player ID is fantastic, a very great addition, I always thought something like this would make alot of difference and I was right, fantastic addition really.

- The Lob is finally as it should be, very high !! and now you can actually lob the keeper as players do in real life instead of that half lob half shoot thing we had before.

- No more ridicilous speed merchant stuff we saw from pes 12 in its release, even players that are super fast and agile with speed merchants feel quite realistic compared to how players move in real life. Overall the whole movement of players feels very realistic in terms of speed and turning.

- Defending is MUCH improved and very very good, finally we have a tackle button and can tackle at ANY time we want, defending is very good overall, I like it.

- Keepers are much better than pes 12, world class keepers like Buffon are really hard to beat.

- Dynamic first touch, very nice.

- Ball physics overall are very good and improved.

BAD

- The single biggest bad thing is the way the AI attacks you, which is they rush you and counter you like mad often losing the ball in the process of this madness, instead of building the play up and passing around, I think I never saw anyone pass the ball backwards from the AI.
They also have only very few limited ways of trying to get to the goal, crossing or pinpoint through balls.
I really hope KONAMI makes the AI actually play better and smarter football.

- The AI players till get major stat boots on higher difficulty, why not just make them play better as a team instead of boosting individual stats?

- The ball feels too slow and floaty when the keeper throws it far ahead, alltho this feauture is a good thing they should increase the speed of that throw a bit.

- Need an option to go full manual, for example if I want to have manual passing only there needs to be an option to enable that so I don't have to press LT everytime I want to make a manual pass.

- When the opposing keeper has the ball you still have to jog, I should be able to sprint if I want whenever I want, should be fixed and its easy to fix it.

- The AI seems unrealisticaly good from free kicks, but maybe its just a good run, still not 100% sure about this, others can offer some feedback on this if they can.

- Player switching is a bit of an issue for some, I didn't have many problems with it tbh but thought I should mention it anyway.

- Players running on rails is still present alltho less than pes 12, still I would really like this to be removed alltogether.

- Lack of atmosphere.

I might have missed out on some things, but il add them in the future and once I play the game for longer.

Bad

Cursor messes up to often with manual passing - chooses wrong player when the ball is closer to someone else.

Can't control height on shots - they are always very high in the air (except the one shot type along the ground.) Some variety needed here.

Crossing still isn't full manual even with no assistance - at least give the option to make proper manual WITHOUT pressing L2 for crosses and passes.

Challenging for headers isn't very fun - too static. Headers themselves are too floaty.

Sometimes on first touch passing your player will simply just tap the ball.

Sometimes the yellow X marker wont show up on air balls, meaning you have no idea where the ball is landing.

Last edited:
bad

some transitions in animation, I still feel something "heavy" game, though considerably improved, it is impossible and annoying to carry the ball with a lower-class player, frustrating, just the opposite with players like Neymar, Nani .. where everything is very fluid

what is most feared, many players difference between ID and normal players.

shots, :) REAL MISSILES

bad

some transitions in animation, I still feel something "heavy" game, though considerably improved, it is impossible and annoying to carry the ball with a lower-class player, frustrating, just the opposite with players like Neymar, Nani .. where everything is very fluid

what is most feared, many players difference between ID and normal players.

shots, :) REAL MISSILES

This is what PES should be imo, i don't want badstubber to turn like neymar or nani.. Hence, we have to think not to spend a lot of time dribbling with our slower player :))

Bad

Cursor messes up to often with manual passing - chooses wrong player when the ball is closer to someone else.

Can't control height on shots - they are always very high in the air (except the one shot type along the ground.) Some variety needed here.

Crossing still isn't full manual even with no assistance - at least give the option to make proper manual WITHOUT pressing L2 for crosses and passes.

Challenging for headers isn't very fun - too static. Headers themselves are too floaty.

Sometimes on first touch passing your player will simply just tap the ball.

Sometimes the yellow X marker wont show up on air balls, meaning you have no idea where the ball is landing.

As to Goalkeeper throws when you power up and GK is about to throw ball hit pass button again. It's power throw and it's not floaty ;).

I would like to grumble a bit more, but really dunno what to expect from 2nd demo. This is my concern. Too much negative feedback will ruin the game once more. If this was the only demo, I would give as much feedback as possible, but now... I am thrown apart :(.

I wish we had preview code here or at least someone who isn't biased and can give VALID feedback, not in "I want this improved/changed, but more the community and people want this changed by majority vote."

That's why I suggested making Document file and getting things which appear often there as feedback. Much more constructive ;).

@TheSpeedster84 exactly what I thought. If someone cannot understand that, simple solution, don't play Pro Evolution Soccer.

It's the way it should be. I love it like that. Makes me actually think more about people at my disposal and if AI is improved, I want to lose playing as Leeds vs the likes of Arsenal or Man City (or at least have v. hard times knowing my players are WORSE than those of elite).

This makes PES stand out.

Last edited:
Bad

I have no problem with this, as your shot power bar fills up the higher it is the higher the shot, if you tap it its a ground ball, if you hold it for bit its low to medium, a bit more and its medium, a bit more and its top corner..

I have no problem with this, as your shot power bar fills up the higher it is the higher the shot, if you tap it its a ground ball, if you hold it for bit its low to medium, a bit more and its medium, a bit more and its top corner..

i dont get this at all. for me its either along the ground or top corner. ive played 40+ games, however i will play the next few specifically trying this out and see what happens. do you play on manual?

The good news with all these issues is they can be easily fixed and this year they are minor.

Nobody asking for Konami to ruin the game just fix some of the most common issues people are finding.

I've managed to play about 6-7 games so far, with differing teams, and all against my son. After two previous years of having full 10 minute demos, it's criminal that this has reverted back to 5 minutes. Typical Konami, flawed genius. I have no idea how they expect us to gain a real flow of the game and capture it's beauty in that time-scale, it's beyond ridiculous, and highly detrimental to it's purpose. In saying that, in the limited time I've had to play the game, I've found it to be nothing short of brilliant.

The first thing that hit me was the improved replication of inertia, in my opinion, this is huge. Konami truly have a superb understanding of what makes football tick, and their focus this year looks to be built on enhancing the basic fundamentals to another level. The inertia, and not only the first-touch, but every single touch makes this game feel very natural on the park. The intricacies from the most recent versions have been worked upon to a much higher level, and the fluidness now replicate the theories in a much tighter manner.

Every player seems to have a different level of control, and not just their first-touch, every single touch they make. I've noticed another Player Card in there- namely the Deft-Touch card.I assume that this is different from the First-Touch Card in the same way the new Weighted Pass Player Card differentiates from the Pin-Point Passer Card. I'll need to confirm that though. Football and it's relevant technique all starts from a players touch, that is the base for which everything follows. Understanding this is paramout to providing a simulation of the sport, and Konami seem to be extremely aware of this. Which is great, as it provides so many variables and helps define the individuality of each and every single player.

I've always been a huge fan of the highly complex dribbling system that PES has offered in recent times, and this improved system is so much better again. The theories of the recent versions are still ever present, but now we have a much more fluid experience, with so many new angles. A drop of the shoulder has never felt or looked as real as it does in this demo, it's sheer beauty in it's own right. The primary drivers for ensuring this are without question the improved inertia, and also the varying weight of touches. Combine those variables with the extended potential of the R2 option, and you truly have an experience that is able to replicate the shifting of weight and balance better than it has even been done before. This level of a opportunity then bleeds over to every single part of the game. It's beyond massive, as it offers the ability to completely control and dictate the pace on the park. Not only that, the increased individual nature of the players will ensure that the likes of Pirlo et al, will become more important and prominent than ever before.

If we are looking to just how much the game has improved over the last 12 months in this regard, I think we need to look no further than the glaring differences across the board between last years Demo 1 and this years equivalent. It's not just the polish, it's everything, it's all the mechanics. This early demo is already far more advanced than the PES 2012 retail version, from a pure football perspective.

I also noticed an improved feeling of freedom across the park, and it's not only the movement off the ball, but the player positioning. I've never felt PES was ever regimented in it's positional play, but PES 12 certainly felt less free than this demo. For me that was instantly noticable, and it's a massive part of the game that has a major influence on everything that plays out around you. The availble options are not too dissimilar to last years offering, but now they just feel more natural. The relevance to the close-control and use of R2 brings this feeling to the forefront and is paramout when holding up play and dictating the pace.

The tackling also seems better, with more drive and weight to the sliding tackle in particular. R2 and X is still very prominent, and will need to be used more to combat the added angles when a player looks to drift and glide past the opposition in tight areas.

I found the passing to be both more educated in it's execution and a lot more free in it's theory. I struggled with Zero Assistance, it feels so much less forgiving than PES 12, and although frustrating at times, I can appreciate it's potential. In my opinion, this needs work, as I don't feel that it's been implemented fully in this demo just yet. I changed up to 1-Bar Assistance, and the game became so much easier and fluid, but if I'm honest, it felt a little too easy. I also has a couple of instances where the ball was passed to player of which I had not intended. That never happened in PES 2012, and it was enough to switch back from 1-Bar to Zero. The days of picking out the wrong player in PES are long gone, and I don't ever want to see that again. I would rather mess up the weight of the pass than have the CPU pick out a different player, even if the resulting pass was to my benefit. No thanks. The new outside-of-the-boot caressed angled pass from a give-and-go is beautiful, really love that. It looks like it is statistic specific, which is great. The L2 Modifier on the both the high pass and the stroke across the deck feels so much better, with more accuracy, curl and zip.

I also tried the shooting on fully manual, but after a couple of games I switched back to Assisted. I've never been sold on this option, and after striking a 30 yard drive from Gerrard completely square and into the stands, I parked that option for the time being. I will revisit it, but only once I have become fluent in the other aspects of the game, or when I have longer than 5 minutes to practice. The fact we now have an L2 Manual Modifier for shooting is all I will probably ever need, especially for those really tight angle strikes. I also want the players shooting statistics to be very prominent, but from my limited experience of this new system, it certainly doesn't seem to offer the same pronounced stats the Zero Passing Assistance system affords in it's particular realm.

I fully appreciate that this is a very early demo, and that there is a lot more, but I'm very happy on what Konami has focused on and improved. Which is the very key factors in football fundamentals.

Early Pro's and Con's -

Pro's

1. Inertia - Superb, the best yet. Even arcing runs off the ball from dead-ball situations have that weighted feel. Foot-planting and the shifting of weight is amazing.

2. First-Touch, All-Touch - Easily my most favoured upgrade, that effects everything that follows. And along with inertia, the most important features of truly replicating football. Outstanding.

3. Positioning and Movement - So much more intelligent than PES 2012, it creates a more natural flow to the game.

4. Player ID - Taking individualism to the next level, which is a Konami tradmark. Football isn't about two teams as such, it's about 22 individual players that collectively make up a the two teams. The higher the level of individualism, the more varied the action on the pitch will play out.

5. Physics - So much better than before, and I love the battling for the loose balls, very natural.

Con's

1. Zero Passing Assistance seems to be a little too eratic at present. The difference between 1-Bar and Zero is too great. 1-Bar seems far to assisted, where as Zero could possibly do with a slight bit more. I don't think the likes of Pirlo should be penalised as much as they currently are on Zero Assistance.

2. Shooting Trajectories - Very similiar at present, with every strike having a very similar line. I would suggest that this is down to the early code, and I do expect this to be sorted.

So that's about it for me so far. I've not played the CPU, so these observations have come soley from Human v Human matches. I'm very excited about this years version now, and that is mainly down to points 1 and 2 in the Pro's.

Last edited:
i will focus on bad things, those needing to be fixed or improved

- player switching: even on semi assisted is a real problem, especially while attacking. This MUST be fixed. (I am playing at 0 assistance passing)

- cpu cheating, weird rebounds giving advantage to CPU players, CPU AI stats boost like in pes 2012

- it's too difficult to give desired direction to normal high crosses ( the ones executed with a single circle button press)

- too much difference between 0 and the rest of assistance bar setting (again like in pes 2012). While at 0 bars passing is too difficult at 1 bars it is too easy (especially through balls)

- player switching while attacking is even worse than defending. While we can control some part of player switching in defense, the attack is completely in CPU hands, and many times CPU changes the cursor to the wrong player

- Defensive AI should be greatly improved, right now it's just a little better than it was in pes 2012. My main complaints are about defenders taking wrong defensive positions, especially in set piece situations like corner kicks. Defenders should be ahead of attacker, not behind!!

- Improve Referee: he gives too much yellow cards for sliding tackle, and there is no difference between a soft sliding tackle fould and hard sliding tackle. He doesn't give yellow cards while he gives advantage, never.

i will update if i find something annoying

EDIT I also read that preview code s faster than demo. Please Konami, don't do it again. Don't riun good things. The pace of the game is just perfect right now.

Last edited:
Good:

- Shooting is better, you can smack it when in space just like the real thing

- Midfield tussling is great fun

- AI players take up better positions and make better runs

- Tackling and defending are the best yet

Bad:

- Goalkeepers still too easy to beat at their near post (this has been the case since ISS). The near post should always be covered and the far post should be the sweetspot. If a keeper is beaten at the near post in reallife, the keeper takes all the blame.

- The whole passing is a bit flawed. Manual passing can be pathetically short whilst assisted passing is too helpful. Also, even on no assistance passing, the dynamic one two pass is always assisted and often wrong, and the through ball button will hopefully die out for the next installment. It always gives the defender more of a chance than necessary and never seems to go where my eye wants it too. I also think it is in cahoots with the old school scripting. For true freedom, the through ball needs to go!

- Also, maybe a way of passing first time could be made using the R2 button with pass. I'd prefer to unleash a first time pass that goes bad rather than the player taking a touch, getting tackled and leaving me defending a bad situation. We need some absolute first time pass command, and not one that rolls it a rulers length away.

- The long passing as well should be fully manual, especially for crosses. Still R2, one tap, double tap and triple tap options but the direction should be completely manual.

Also, playing a human is 10 times more fun than playing the computer. The computer seems to have one tactic only!

- Goalkeepers still too easy to beat at their near post (this has been the case since ISS). The near post should always be covered and the far post should be the sweetspot. If a keeper is beaten at the near post in reallife, the keeper takes all the blame.

It depends on the keeper, keepers like Buffon and Casillas are very hard to beat, but not as skilled goalkeepers are a different story.
Im sure you dont want superhuman goalkeepers.

I believe Goalkeepers were said to have Personal ID. Buffon and Casillas both were mo-capped and both in game act as their real life counterparts ie. are pain in the ass to beat ;).

So is Neuer btw ;).

The problem lies with goalkeepers not touched by amazing GKs persona I guess.

The thing I absolutely love in this game is dribbling, first touch and deft touch dribbling.

I wonder if KONAMI can do AI which will be clever to handle Players with their persona. If they do, we are in for a treat.

If they improve stamina system to be realistic, we may be in for best football game made. Ever.

Right now enjoying demo. Usually bugged by problems, this time, it's giving fun. Amazing.

Shooting seems way too precise. I just blasted 3 screamers with Ganso in the same half, and his stats are not even that great. Maybe the shooting is tuned for the 5min of the demo, so it went off balance when I modded to use 15 mins ? I hope this is improved for the final game, or lots of online matches will finish 6-4, 5-2, etc...

It depends on the keeper, keepers like Buffon and Casillas are very hard to beat, but not as skilled goalkeepers are a different story.
Im sure you dont want superhuman goalkeepers.
When you are one vs one with the keeper but not in a central position, near post shots always go in for me wheras far post shots seem to be saved 100%. They won't be able to fix this in time but just saying that it's been in the game since ISS days and needs to be fixed.

I don't want harder keepers, just keepers who protect their near post at the expense of the far post rather than the other way round.

I hope someone who reads this understands!

Cons

- AI. Simply ridiculous how they don't ever look back and try to build up an attack, and they never refuse a dribling challenge

- Shooting. They are better, but sometimes way too strong, its weird

- Player switching. From my experience, they often miscalculate the player you want to pass because the power you apply isn't taken into account. If you want to do a short through ball to a near player, they will change to the farthest one, since he is on the direction you pointed, and vice-versa.

Cons

- AI. Simply ridiculous how they don't ever look back and try to build up an attack, and they never refuse a dribling challenge

- Shooting. They are better, but sometimes way too strong, its weird

- Player switching. From my experience, they often miscalculate the player you want to pass because the power you apply isn't taken into account. If you want to do a short through ball to a near player, they will change to the farthest one, since he is on the direction you pointed, and vice-versa.

last point seems to be a good explanation
someone need to post it in an off. feedback thread or something, over @pesfan wenb etc.?!

BAD

Player switching seems like it needs some improvement, to hit and miss.

Shooting, too accurate for my liking i can hit a screamer from anywhere. Also alot of shots which are whacked into the ground and bounce so high over the cross bar.

Absolutely unseen in my game. A screamer from anywhere, hasn't happened with me at any point yet. As far as player switching, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary that would make me think wtf! I think this version is the best in years and I hope the full version lives up to what I think it will. Only negative thing I've noticed it shot power. Seems a bit much for me.

For me what needs to be improved:
- player switching, ataking Thaís year os worst tona defense
- chalenging in headers are really bad... So static... Always the same... Players need to agroup more when the goalkeeper will heat a goal kick... And when you go leave the ball with a ground pass, opposite team should press in your field
- ARROWS for players in the formation menu... Please konami!! I need to choose what players atack or defend more... This is much needed in my opinion...
- new stamina system!! Please... Players need get tired And dont be allowed running for a long period of time with full speed!!

The attacking switching cursor problems only appear at 0 bars assistance setting. This must be fixed, since playing at 0 bars is so good, but it's riuned by this bug

Bad :

Camera Angle :RANT::RANT::RANT:

Good :

1- Manual tackle
2- It's Smoother than PES2012

Last edited:
Is it possible I am the only one to notice this

FIRST TOUCH THROUGH PASS (TRIANGLE OR "Y") ARE TOO WEAK EVEN IF YOU FILL ALL THE POWER BAR

Is it possible I am the only one to notice this?!?!?!?!

Looking at this from a point of view of someone who was trying the game to see if hey would buy it, rather than someone on these forums, I think they would find it dull

There is no atmosphere, the graphics look dull as they have picked a bland stadium with konami add boards and there is no pace in the game.

A lot of people on here want a slow game, but fast players should be fast and exciting. Why not us a licenced stadium? Where is the work in atmosphere they promised

After seeing people put together graphic updates on he pc version with little effort you would think that something would be done to actually make the game look like it can with a few small additions.

This won't be the game that gets PES back on top and is only slightly more of a change than one of the game play patches they released with 2012.

I would love to get someone from the company and give them a good shake and ask them to work on everything, not just a few additions each year.

Fuck player ID, go to YouTube and have a look what turf, add-board, sound and game play patches do with your game by people who do it unpaid

Looking at this from a point of view of someone who was trying the game to see if hey would buy it, rather than someone on these forums, I think they would find it dull

There is no atmosphere, the graphics look dull as they have picked a bland stadium with konami add boards and there is no pace in the game.

A lot of people on here want a slow game, but fast players should be fast and exciting. Why not us a licenced stadium? Where is the work in atmosphere they promised

After seeing people put together graphic updates on he pc version with little effort you would think that something would be done to actually make the game look like it can with a few small additions.

This won't be the game that gets PES back on top and is only slightly more of a change than one of the game play patches they released with 2012.

I would love to get someone from the company and give them a good shake and ask them to work on everything, not just a few additions each year.

Fuck player ID, go to YouTube and have a look what turf, add-board, sound and game play patches do with your game by people who do it unpaid

Couldn't agree more with this. For what it's worth I'm really enjoying PES2013 but Konami always sell the game short in the presentation department. Why not have a Champions League friendly in the demo, at a licensed stadium with all the glitz and glamour? That would put the game in a better light.

Konami are very strange in their ways. Hopefully the London studio will kick them up the arse.

gameplay > turfs etc.

just sayin..
(we all know konami cant do a perfect/complete game (anymore), rather pick the gameplay side of changes)

Player switching needs to be greatly improved. On 0 bar assistance many, many times the system chooses the wrong player to receive the ball

gameplay > turfs etc.

just sayin..
(we all know konami cant do a perfect/complete game (anymore), rather pick the gameplay side of changes)

I know that, I spend months each year editing game play as I think it’s by far the most important part of the game.

However, PES is becoming much more of an in depth football simulation that takes months to master with the penny not dropping with some, for last year’s game particularly, until 5 or 6 months of playing. Because of this Konami need to wow people who try the demo with things that jump out at them.

What the game looks like is massively influenced by animation, turfs and stadium items like add-boards. There is versions of patched versions of PES2012 on the PC with only turf and add-board’s added that look unbelievable. One in particular of some created german stadiums that looks staggering to the point most people think its actual football when passing my desk at work.

To release a demo and puts one of the most bland – unlicensed stadium in it is ridiculous when others have much better turfs, lighting and boards and their correct name. People who haven’t bought PES for years that try it straight away are faced with the fact they still use made up names and some will be put off without ever getting anywhere near understanding the nuances of the game play

When PES first moved to the PS2 there was big improvement in how it looked, the response was that people I knew that didn’t even play games went out and bought a PS2 simply to play a game that looked and played amazing compared to what they had seen previously.

People are capable of adding relatively small touches that would take no development time at all and turning PES into something which would seem like the same type of leap forward again and make people want to try the game.

You wouldn’t need to pay ronaldo anything for your adverts if your game looked like this patched version of PES 2012, as your advert would simply be game play

YouTube - PES 2012 Bayern München Compilation

Back
Top Bottom