Gears of War 2 (360)

Reviews are in today. And, as expected...

TeamXbox
11/3/2008
9.8 out of 10
98.0%

IGN
11/3/2008
9.5 out of 10
95.0%

GameSpy
11/3/2008
5 out of 5
100.0%

Eurogamer
11/3/2008
9 out of 10
90.0%

VideoGamer
11/3/2008
10 out of 10
100.0%

Computer & Video Games UK
11/3/2008
9.3 out of 10
93.0%

UGO
11/3/2008
A
95.0%

Giant Bomb
11/3/2008
5 out of 5
100.0%

X360 Magazine UK
12/1/2008
10 out of 10
100.0%

Official Xbox Magazine UK
12/1/2008
9 out of 10
90.0%

I was thinking that it was just GoW 1 with different levels, but those scores would suggest otherwise. Still, it's not grabbing me at the moment, it just looks too samey.

I think the first was alright but I hated the tank style movement and the grenade throwing felt terrible and it's the same here.

I was thinking that it was just GoW 1 with different levels, but those scores would suggest otherwise. Still, it's not grabbing me at the moment, it just looks too samey.
agrreed. it looks the same as teh first one. only new thing i can see from gow 2 is the chainsaw dual and the ability to do online coop with up to 4 players instead of 2. this game sounds more like an expansion pack

agrreed. it looks the same as teh first one. only new thing i can see from gow 2 is the chainsaw dual and the ability to do online coop with up to 4 players instead of 2. this game sounds more like an expansion pack

I havent read any reviews, so 4 player Co-Op has been confirmed for the story line, not just Horde Mode?

This game is just reminds me of Halo 3

massive review scores probably to keep the kids happy

I havent read any reviews, so 4 player Co-Op has been confirmed for the story line, not just Horde Mode?
Horde Mode? well i thought that the 4 player coop is for the storymode also but besides that and teh chainsaw dual, what else is new in this game?

This game is obviously more of the same with some new additions. I noticed on one vid that you get to fly this creature which is something the first one didn't have. Overall, I think this game is really the same as the first one which isn't bad for me since the first one blew me away. I just wish they would sell the game at a retail price of $39.99 which would really do justice to what we've seen and heard so far of a game that does look a bit samey.

Completed this a couple of weeks ago. Better than GoW1 IMO.
Horde mode is good for a blast.
You can play offline multiplayer with bots and it still goes towards your achievement points.
You can move a lot better whilst sprinting.
Some nice new weapons to have fun with.
Achievements are quite good.

I think its easier then the first one too, i never completed GoW1 as fast as this.
Although i only went through GoW2 it on normal but currently going through again on hardcore (don't think i'm good enough to go through on insane without tearing my hair out) and again its easier than the first IMO.

Horde Mode? well i thought that the 4 player coop is for the storymode also but besides that and teh chainsaw dual, what else is new in this game?

The guys at Epic said they never even considered including 4-player co-op in story mode as the game is based around two characters. They didn't want 2 random guys just standing around not attached to the story.

You can play offline multiplayer with bots and it still goes towards your achievement points.

I think its easier then the first one too, i never completed GoW1 as fast as this.
Although i only went through GoW2 it on normal but currently going through again on hardcore (don't think i'm good enough to go through on insane without tearing my hair out) and again its easier than the first IMO.
easier and shorter? not a good sign as gow1 was short and easy as it is. took me 5 days to complete gow1 and i only played it for an hour or so each day

The Horde mode is really fun!!!! i still couldn´t pass through level 10, it´s too dam hard!!!

Offline multiplayer with bots ? Is this on the multiplayer maps you would play online? Hope so, think this is a good feature (and should feature in all fps's) as will allow you to fine tune your game, and learn the maps, before getting slaughtered by the Human geeks !

Yes that's exactly what i think with bots. I don't get why people say things like' games dont need bots, thats what online is for.

Apart from some people not wanting to or just being unable to go online - there are people like me who enjoy offline with bots to learn the maps and if possible play offline split screen with bots.

Offline multiplayer with bots ? Is this on the multiplayer maps you would play online? Hope so, think this is a good feature (and should feature in all fps's) as will allow you to fine tune your game, and learn the maps, before getting slaughtered by the Human geeks !

Yeah mate, the multiplayer maps can be used offline and on :)
Totally agree on the bot front, its a great way to get used to the map etc.. and not get too pissed off with some uber player demoralising you left, right and centre lol.

You can also grab your around the world, again and party like its 1999 achievements offline too!!!

The only multiplayer achievements where you have to be on the servers (public) as far as i can make out (they say (publicin the achievement description) are:
Standing here, Beside myself
Beat the meatflag
It's good to be the king
You go ahead, i'll be fine

Been playing it since this morning, it's the same game as the original GoW but what I'd forgotten is just how good it is. It's more of the same but it's no bad thing, the odd new weapon here and enemy there are all great additions. Only thing is that the single-player is very short (after three hours I'm just short of Act 3, out of 5 or 6, so your average gamer will finish the story in a day).

And I wouldn't play it online because there's more elites on GoW than I've ever seen on any other game ever.

Been playing it since this morning, it's the same game as the original GoW but what I'd forgotten is just how good it is. It's more of the same but it's no bad thing, the odd new weapon here and enemy there are all great additions. Only thing is that the single-player is very short (after three hours I'm just short of Act 3, out of 5 or 6, so your average gamer will finish the story in a day).

And I wouldn't play it online because there's more elites on GoW than I've ever seen on any other game ever.

Good to hear the game hasn't lost it's magic. Sad to hear it's so short. Not worth the whole $60 in my opinion.

Theres a matchmaking system like Halo now so you're only playing against players that are at the same level as you.

Oh yeah, I read that - I thought all Xbox 360 games were supposed to use "TrueSkill" though (which is what it says on the back of the box), I remember the MS people going crazy about it shortly before the 360 was released. Either way I'd just be frustrated as hell every match, it's one of those games that kids play 24/7 and they become untouchable (unless you're Grim).

That depends on what you thought of the first game.
Oh yeah, I read that - I thought all Xbox 360 games were supposed to use "TrueSkill" though (which is what it says on the back of the box), I remember the MS people going crazy about it shortly before the 360 was released. Either way I'd just be frustrated as hell every match, it's one of those games that kids play 24/7 and they become untouchable (unless you're Grim).
There's always gonna be a few guys that will kick your ass. I mean, even if you're ranked the same, one of you's gonna have to be better than the other.
I think the best part of this game so far is that you can't rely on one tactic or strategy all the time. Epic have found ways to stop you doing that. For example, snipers can no longer abuse the active reload, people using Shotguns can't run around shooting people like its Quake 3 Arena So when you go online, you shouldnt get frustrated as easily like when people are constantly killing you the same way every 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom