Game of the Year 2016

bsmaff

International
11 August 2003
Hertfordshire
Exeter City
Another year has passed and time to discuss your game of the year for 2016.

Thought we should do a couple of categories:-

OVERALL GAME OF THE YEAR:-

BEST PS4:-

BEST XBOX ONE:-

BEST PC:-

BEST GRAPHICS:-

BEST STORY:-

MOST INNOVATIVE:-

BEST MOD:-

BEST GAME NO ONE PLAYED:-

MOST EXCITED GAME 2017:-

PS4 & XBO exclusives, do you mean? Otherwise I could put the same game three times!

OVERALL GAME OF THE YEAR:- PES 2017
I know, it's not perfect, but I'm absolutely loving PES again. I'm just nervous it'll be terrible again next year...

BEST PS4:- Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes
Brilliant fun with friends. One of you is in charge of defusing a bomb, someone else (or a group of people) bark instructions at you from the instruction manual (accessed on a phone, or on the TV screen if the bomb disposer is on VR). Old-school fun but with a modern twist; pretty original.

BEST XBOX ONE:- Forza Horizon 3
I love a good, pretty car game, but this nails pretty much everything. Handling, graphics (the HDR looks stunning, I just wish it was on the PS4 so it could be 4K too). I wasn't a big fan of the previous Horizon games but this one is perfect.

BEST PC:- Football Manager 2017
It's not perfect but the match engine is a little better, and although I was tempted to pick Planet Coaster, I pour hundreds of hours into FM so it would be dishonest not to pick it...

BEST GRAPHICS:- Battlefield 1
I mean, it's ridiculous. Even more beautiful in 4K, some of it is photo-realistic. Enough said.

BEST STORY:- Dishonored 2
Another fantastic game that I haven't spent enough time with, but the writing is excellent - there aren't many games that you can appreciate the writing for, but this is one of them (along with The Witcher, I think).

MOST INNOVATIVE:- Pokémon Go
It brought a lot of people together - for a very short period of time, yes, but still. I've not seen a game do that before in my life.

BEST GAME NO ONE PLAYED:- Overcooked
Absolutely hilarious with friends, this is an old-school multiplayer game where you end up screaming at each-other because one of you can't work the chopping knife efficiently. So much fun.

BEST MOD:- Chris's Best of Everything (for PES 2017)
Give this man a medal.

MOST EXCITED GAME 2017:- PES 2018
Please don't fuck it up, guys...

I'l give it a try, although i'm a very casual gamer...

Best game of the year: Forza Horizon 3. I bought an Xbox One for this game and i would do it again. Great game with lots of things to do and lots of memorable moments (that race against the train). Graphical the best game i've ever seen.

Best PS4 game: Dirt Rally. This is the game i played most the past year. So it deserves a mention.

Best Sports game: NBA2K17. I know that PES17 is a very good game, but it comes nowhere near this one. What a shame i don't know nothing about basketball. I started reading books about basketball in order to enjoy this one more. Konami should have a close look at this one and learn from it.

Surprise of the year: Steep. It's far from perfect, but until there will be a new SSX title, this is the one i will play.

Most clever game of the year: Inside.

Two games my son asked me to mention: Overwatch (a shooter, i never play shooters) and Final Fantasy XV

Most anticipated game for the future: Rise or Arise by our friend drekkard. I hope he and his development team pull it off and can finish this very promising game about an old man who climbs a mountain in memory for his departed wife. The schreenshots i've seen are beautifull.

OVERALL GAME OF THE YEAR:- Battlefield 1
It's been a long time waiting for a new Battlefield and it really delivered this year. I love the WW1 setting so I was sold from day one.

BEST PS4:- Until Dawn (I know I'm late to the party)
I was really hooked on this game. This probably would have been the new Final Fantasy as I have heard really good things and I'm a big fan of the series, but I haven't played it yet.

BEST XBOX ONE:- Gears 4
Also been waiting a long time for this. Really chuffed it came bundled with all the other Gears games too. So good value as well as a good addition to the series.

BEST PC:- Battlefield 1 (as above)

BEST GRAPHICS:- Battlefield 1
Unbelievable on my PC.

BEST STORY:- Uncharted 4 (sorry if I'm late to the party)

MOST INNOVATIVE:- PSVR

BEST GAME NO ONE PLAYED:- Firewatch
Great game, really unique and enjoyable

BEST MOD:- Fallout 4 Mods

MOST EXCITED GAME 2017:- Mass Effect Andromeda
My favourite series. Can't wait for the next installment (please improve on ME3, that was a low point in the series)

OVERALL GAME OF THE YEAR:- Think I'll have to go with The Division, haven't really played that many games this year (or feels like that at least) and on The Division I've racked up 430h since it came out in March.

BEST PS4:- I guess Uncharted 4 even though I'm only about 1/3 in and found some of the levels extremely boring, really poor first couple of years for both consoles.

BEST XBOX ONE:- Don't have one and probably never will.

BEST PC:- The Division.

BEST GRAPHICS:- The Division, incredible job creating the look and feel of dystopic New York.

BEST STORY:- The Division, doing the story stuff to get to level 30 is easily the best part of the game, loved collecting the voicemails as they added so much to the overall story and experience when listening to them.

MOST INNOVATIVE:- Hmm seeing as The Division is the first MORPG I've ever played I guess I have to go with that, I liked the way it merges single and multi player.

BEST MOD:- Sweetfx/Reshade, allows PC gamers to remove the mud, vaseline and badly balanced colours of all the shitty console ports we're forced to endure.

BEST GAME NO ONE PLAYED:- How do I know what nobody played? Sheesh!

MOST EXCITED GAME 2017:- Red Dead Redemption 2 (or if that slips to 2018 then Days Gone).

Best PC game: FiFA 16.

The best FiFA on PC so far. The laat best PC FiFA was RTWC 98. FiFA 16 is great both graphically and ganeplay, at the same time being Next gen port and optimized.

Best Graphics: FiFA 16.

People think I'm crazy. Maybe I'm.

But tell me another game where clothes creases move realistically? Where glorious blades of grass shine to its full glory?

None but Fifa 16 does that. Its visually improved over FiFa 15. Pes looks good, but cloth physics look dull as fuk in Pes.

Best MoD: Ultra LOD mod of FiFA 16 to enable cloth physics and max LODs during gameplay.

Not even FiFA 17 can beat FiFA 16. The Lod fix is too hard in FiFa 17. But apart from lod fixes, the game itself doesnt look much natural. The grass colors of Fifa 16 are best. Only plus side of FiFA 17 is the hazy dusk golden weather that kicks ass.

Most anticipated game for the future: Rise or Arise by our friend drekkard. I hope he and his development team pull it off and can finish this very promising game about an old man who climbs a mountain in memory for his departed wife. The schreenshots i've seen are beautifull.

Thanks for that, Gerd. We're trying to close the deal with the Publisher, so we expect to have news soon and hopefully we can make the project public during 2017, but the earliest release date would be 2018. It's very hard to create things from the ground.

About the best games of the season:

BEST PC GAME: Inside.

BEST PS4 GAME: Uncharted, mainly because of the story and graphics. In temrs of gameplay, Dark Souls III of course.

BEST GRAPHICS: Until dawn, incredibly good looking, a pitty the story went down in the fnal third of the game.

BEST SPORTS GAME: NBA 2K17, by a mile. Again.

BEST STORY: Firewatch

MOST INNOVATIVE: No man's sky / The witness

BEST GAME NO ONE PLAYED: Aragami. A game done by a very small and humble studio from Barcelona, who I know, they had to endure difficulties and practically work for free to have it done. Cheers for brave people who tries hard!

Back
Top Bottom