Formations and Strategies

dannyfc2

Premiership
9 June 2009
Whats everyone finding successful at the moment then?

I've currently use a 4-4-2, with two sitting CM's, two high wide players, and SS dropping deep. I use Possession (Att) and Swap wing in management edit. And Compactness - 20 (Wide), Attack Style - 1 (Through the middle). I use around 10 for every other setting, I did used to ramp up the Player Support but noticed it encourage my CBs to join the attack far too often unfortunately. Having Richard Dunne lumber up at every opportunity had him knackered by half-time.

Hmm danny doesn't your compactness contradict ur attack style setting? I always had the idea that it gotta complement each other. Think I read somewhere, might be wrong though.

Ideally I want a lot of width that spreads their defence and exposes gaps in the middle, so theoretically it should work, if it does in-game is another matter though I suppose.

Compactness is only for defending isn't it? So when you don't have the ball our players will be the ones leaving gaps in the middle. Support range is what you're after I'd have thought.

I've noticed people are keen to use the min/max values in their tactics. Doesn't that put you at a disadvantage? You still want some room to tinker, surely, plus surely extremes lead to imbalance.

I suppose it would under normal circumstances. Was trying an extremely defensive Stoke City-like approach with Bayern against Barca with Van Bommel and Schweinsteiger almost playing like a third and fourth centreback. Barça actually outpossessed me which never happens but didn't create a single chance, I scored a flukey goal and won the game with 38% possession.

Can you use gameplan to preset a team's strategy in edit mode, similar to say FIFA's custom tactics? Or will the CPU just overrule as soon as the game starts? If it's the former I can see the Premier League being a blast to play if you set correct tactics for every team.

Back
Top Bottom