FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

Linking to a coin seller in his about loses any interest from me in watching the rest.

I have no idea what that means nor care or even noticed that. All I know is his comparison of both demos is very good and spot on and shows great examples in the video of the overpowered shot in PES on basic and explains it very well.

seems petty not to watch a video because you read the about first before watching it... lol very weird

I didn't even notice the about section and now that you pointed it out I still can careless and don't even know what that is nor care

Last edited:

He's right. Every shot in pes is a goal with R2

right.. that's why I thought the video was good because bc he was fair and well pointed out the obvious issue with PES shooting and said they should patch it which I agree.. that and the foul system are the biggest problems with the demo

OK I agree with pretty much everything TTB says regarding FIFA2016 and PES2016 demos.. take a look for yourself at his comparison

https://youtu.be/9-NIWHwFxLw

he is a PES guy at heart like most of here but I think he does a very good and fair comparison and the things he says about both are all spot on..

I can't stress enough what he says about full manual is the way to play PES this year.. he is spot on. it's the ONLY way to play it imo

if I can.. I will still upload 2 videos of myself playing both games full manual professional settings and -1 game speed and slow tonight or this weekend to this thread

Good video.

And he's absolutely right about the replays on PES.
You don't see nothing on that close up.
Who programmed that?

I hope in the full game there are gonna be more replay angles and not only that close up one.

Its a good balanced vid. He doesnt tell you what he prefers but tells you what he likes and dont like in the game.

I knew there would be an issue re option files. It had gone too quiet. You wouldnt keep news that there is an option file until the Monday before the game is out if it was good news.

Good video.

And he's absolutely right about the replays on PES.
You don't see nothing on that close up.
Who programmed that?

I hope in the full game there are gonna be more replay angles and not only that close up one.

he's the guy they need to fire...:)
They need to hire better game devies that have brains!

Right time to finally do this. For background, ive played pes since ISS and wouldn't entertain the idea of FIFA for a long time. I first bought fifa 08 after the shambles that was pes2015. i then only played fifa 09, bought fifa 10 but grew bored of it and moved back to pes until i had both games in 2012, only pes in 2013, both again in 2014 and 2015 but mostly played fifa.

pes 2016 +++

- it has great likenesses, that's obvious.

- The pace is pretty nice and player weight is good. i actually like the graphics as a whole but presentation and atmosphere is horrible.

- The new physics engine works really well and i really enjoy defending on pes. I'm terrible at defending on fifa as you'll see in the video. on pes tackles feel satisfying and it just find the timing easier.

- finally, the overall flow of the game is nice and it feel like gaps to exploit appear organically. suddenly you'll spot a pass and the game will open up.

now the negatives ----

- keepers are still so unnatural and limited. thy ,at not perform terribly but the ruin almost every goal and remove any satisfaction.

- ball physics, mainly on shooting, are boring again. no variation and they also destroy satisfaction in goals.

- atmosphere and presentation are rubbish again.

- still a lack of freedom and the need for super cancel on through balls or loose balls. often i'll purposely play a ball in he channel away from my forward but they'll sprint to the balls destination rather than toward the ball itself, allowing defenders to cope.

- refs

fifa positives +++

- AI is finally varied. im seeing new attacking patterns most games. they're still not amazing but so much better.

- keepers far more realistic and don't make as many superhuman saves.

- dribbling amazing. good dribblers take so many more touches and allow you to skip past challenges. so much variation in how you dribble, too. no touch is a great addition.

- first touch error seems great without slider change.

- ball physics wonderful.

- atmosphere and presentation very good.

- flow of the game finally much better. down to the AI being more varied and also tracking runners.

- free kick system better than pes.

- depth of almost everything is great. scored a goal with Kagawa where his shirt was being pulled but shrugged it off to finish from 25yds. same with all sorts of fouls lead in to free kicks. short pulls, trips, slides, blocks etc. dribbling, shooting, passing all have so much variation.

- freedom. i've don't feel hamstrung by the game in any way whist attacking. anything in want to do it feel like is possible.

fifa negatives:

- likenesses

- defending ai on pro, sometimes just let you run.

- too many blocked shots

- keepers flapping on corners.

- defending hit and miss.

i liked the idea from klash about seeing how you play the game too, so put a vid below. I realised when playing that pro has become too easy when attacking but my defensive frailties mean world class is too much lol. I like to try and score nice but not too unrealistic goals. not bothered about having to really work hard to beat the cpu hence pro. I just like to enjoy and relax.

playing with:

passing - semi
through balls - manual
long balls - manual
shooting - semi
crossing - manual
defending - tactical
speed -slow
difficulty - pro

https://youtu.be/h7edlH_m-kY

Interesting the comment about keepers flapping in Fifa being a negative, I haven't played it enough to see how much flapping they're doing but from what I saw it's a big positive as they were way too good in the past at dealing with crosses/corners so for now for me that one is a positive :)

Interesting the comment about keepers flapping in Fifa being a negative, I haven't played it enough to see how much flapping they're doing but from what I saw it's a big positive as they were way too good in the past at dealing with crosses/corners so for now for me that one is a positive :)

It happens pretty much every corner if you put it in the right area.

to be fair I'd probably prefer it like that than them claim everything.

he's the guy they need to fire...:)
They need to hire better game devies that have brains!

lol yeah.

But I think it´s probably in the demo only.

PES 2015 had more replay angles as well.
I´m talking about the ones when you missed the goal.

But that close up one...they really need to cut it out.

Been switching between these two demos and each game has it´s positives.
I really guess I´m gonna get both.

At first I though after playing FIFA 16 (which I really like a lot) I couldn´t get back to PES.

But I still can, it´s still fun to play.

Just curious about PES 2016 PC.

I genuinely don't know at this stage.

PES has fantastic control. I feel like, when I'm dribbling, I can control exactly how I take a player on, exactly when I take that touch to burst away. I know a lot of people say they don't get many fouls, but, while I agree there aren't enough, I've been drawing a lot of them simply by forcing the CPU to stick a leg out and then knocking the ball into space. Conversely, the close control is clearly too good across the board - you can see this when the CPU goes into one of its weird left-right-left-right-left-right momentumless close control slaloms. The passing speed feels crisp and slick, and I do feel that PES is significantly better at allowing you to string together passes amongst your midfield which leads to releasing someone who is running at pace up the pitch. FIFA, if you're trying to play the gradual possession game, always feels like you're wrestling against momentum, rather than riding it like a wave, trying to find the right combination of passes to catch the crest of it and head downfield at pace. The way momentum is applied in FIFA makes everyone too sluggish to react, there's not enough of a concept of a player being primed to move one way at greater acceleration than another, which means there isn't much of a spring in their step and it means any slightly inaccurate pass costs too much energy to adjust to. I don't like semi passing because it makes the passing power way too random and unreadable - manual is more reliable but it costs you too much in the way of cute, 1 or 2 yard lay-offs, and the play is always too agricultural for what I want from a football game. Plus I don't think that the accuracy of my thumb should be the most important thing in a football game above the personality of the players on the pitch - unless I'm playing Clubs, in which case everything should be down to me.

The shooting and variety in FIFA is far superior though, and there's definitely a lot of satisfaction in scoring compared to PES. This is because the passing in PES is way too accurate on anything remotely assisted, and the shooting is identical from player to player. How is this allowed to happen? It's madness. Also, it's not as if FIFA's passing is completely awful - it just needs some refining, and I could certainly cope with playing the game on manual at the cost of what I consider to be realistic passing play. I'd just have to use lesser teams and avoid CL-status clubs. I could be Liverpool. I could try the same with PES but, even if I use manual passing and shooting (and again, manual isn't my first choice), the computer isn't - and there's no way I can make the computer pass in a realistic fashion.

As it stands, I think PES has potential to be fantastic but is critically flawed; FIFA has clearly made some great strides but I don't think it will ever nail passing tempo or how it works in conjunction with player momentum. It does fairly well though, and I could definitely eke a lot of fun out of it over time.

Last edited:

Without wishing to sound like a troll (and I've been here long enough for people to know I'm not), I've spent an hour a night since PES 2016 has launched (or leaked) overseas watching matches on Twitch, and as much as I truly enjoyed the demo, all I've seen is a worse ping-pong-passing, back-and-forth game of football than even Ultimate Team in FIFA 15 provides, to the point where I've cancelled my pre-order.

I watched someone playing as Man Utd against Chelsea last night, for example, and I promise you, this is absolutely true. This was someone playing against the AI on Superstar, with the game speed set to default.

I join the stream: Man U have a corner. Cleared, the counter is on, Chelsea do a long ball to a winger, quick pass, shot, saved, corner. Within 20 seconds.

20 second mark: Chelsea take the corner. It's cleared to the United holding midfielder. Pass to the winger, cuts inside, shoots, saved, corner. Within 20 seconds.

40 second mark: Man Utd take the corner, header, goal.

60 second mark (after all the replays): Chelsea kick off. Retain possession for 10-15 seconds or so (so that players can get up the pitch), pass to a winger, passes to the striker, shot, corner...

I stopped watching at this point, because in the space of not much more than a minute (say two minutes for argument's sake), there'd been four corners and a goal, and the defence - let alone the central midfield - barely existed other than to shepherd the ball ASAP to the fastest winger or striker.

How the people who have lambasted FIFA for playing this way over the last 12 months (and rightly so, by the way) can now say PES is brilliant when it does the same thing, I honestly have no idea. And that was against the AI - it's far more pronounced in the online matches I've seen.

I did say in the stream's chat box for that particular game, "did anyone else just notice and/or find it ridiculous that it's just gone from one goalmouth to the other back and forth for two minutes", to which I got the response "what are you watching it for then"...

I'm gobsmacked at the overwhelmingly positive reviews coming in so far (though I accept that seeing as I'm in the minority, it's me who isn't "getting" it, in the same way that I can't accept the current number one in the charts is "music").

It's responsive and fluid, and I totally get that "feel" is wonderful (it's why I played the demo and had the game pre-ordered), and even that the AI is far more intelligent now. But there's no thought involved, it doesn't take much effort to achieve anything - and again, this is getting rave reviews from people who, in the chat section of the feeds I've been watching, are saying "FIFA's way too easy, it's for kids and idiots". It's unbelievable to me!

Fair enough, FIFA 16 might be taking it too far the other way - difficult to get anywhere, pace isn't as useful a tool as it should be maybe - but it involves more patience and more thought, so surely that's the better scenario of the two?

Watching people play each other online has been the worst. First-time passes are 100% accurate (on rails almost), the ball whizzes off with a comically mismatched amount of momentum in the passing player's leg (passes travelling across the pitch when in reality it'd travel about 30ft), and it's just constant counter-attacks over and over again. The pressure button is spammed in every one of the online matches I've seen, as well. Again, it just screams Ultimate Team to me!

There's clearly no thought whatsoever going into the play from literally every single Twitch-streamed online match I've seen. It's just "push the pass button, face towards the goal, it'll get somewhere and we'll get a shot off, it'll probably go in". It's everything I hate about FIFA 15, and why I'm so excited about FIFA 16 (which, I have to admit, could turn out exactly the same way - I need to see the final version played online so I can see if the game allows that "no thought involved" gameplay or not, and I'm really worried about that).

...rant over.

EDIT: I should say that I've seen the WENB ML video and the match in that is the best I've seen so far. It seems to be on -1 speed - which is how I'd play it myself - and the AI doesn't appear to be as manic, but I wonder if that's because it's on a lower difficulty (which, judging on the demo, is too easy to consider for me - and that's not bragging, I'm crap at football games, but it is), and also, it doesn't fix online play which looks like it's going to be a constant-pressure, button-spam fest.

EDIT 2: I meant to say that, watching the Tranmere vs Chester (non-league football) highlights yesterday, I was amazed at how much the midfield play reminded me of the streams of PES being played online. Possession constantly back-and-forth because of the constant desperate forward passes that don't come off, trying to get to the winger or the striker constantly, no thought involved, no skill involved.

That was a big wake-up call for me - I want to love PES this year (hence me watching the streams every night), but it plays like school football, not top-level football. FIFA, for me, is definitely too congested, and pace isn't really as useful as it should be, and if you play as the lower-league teams I'm willing to bet it's not intelligent enough to play PES-style, where suddenly every team is trying stupid passes and giving the ball away, and that's definitely a fault.

But playing as the top teams, I think FIFA is the far better game.

Last edited:

Ah, the joys of being an offline player. I couldn't think of anything worse than playing these "win at all cost" morons.

Had a good moment last night playing as Barca V Real.
I was Barca (first time Ive used them since the demo come out) and played Madrid – I was one down and got a corner in last 10.
Ball came in and my player got his head to it. The ball spun towards Suarez who while off target got managed to slice the ball into the net. The spinning on the ball looked great.

I really want to like PES but I’m just not enjoying it. No idea why. Its probably the great feeling when you score a goal is missing. You don’t feel like you earn it. R2 every time normally results in a goal.
With PES being released this week I will play the demo tonight and (try to) leave Fifa alone. I just feel like I can play Fifa for hours but I don’t have that feeling with PES. I play 2 games and have had enough.
I played about 8 games of Fifa last night and enjoyed every game.
I really want PES to click but it hasn’t yet.

Had a good moment last night playing as Barca V Real.
I was Barca (first time Ive used them since the demo come out) and played Madrid – I was one down and got a corner in last 10.
Ball came in and my player got his head to it. The ball spun towards Suarez who while off target got managed to slice the ball into the net. The spinning on the ball looked great.

I really want to like PES but I’m just not enjoying it. No idea why. Its probably the great feeling when you score a goal is missing. You don’t feel like you earn it. R2 every time normally results in a goal.
With PES being released this week I will play the demo tonight and (try to) leave Fifa alone. I just feel like I can play Fifa for hours but I don’t have that feeling with PES. I play 2 games and have had enough.
I played about 8 games of Fifa last night and enjoyed every game.
I really want PES to click but it hasn’t yet.

This for me too. From what I've played on both demos, i can't understand how PES is getting 8.5s and 9s in its reviews. It's a good game but it has too many flaws, not only in gameplay but also as a package. Based on the demo I'd give it a 7.5 max and FIFA an 8.5. Both have signifacnt room for improvement but both are good games.

FIFA is the better game in my opinion, simply because of the possibilities in game. I genuinely feel like i have unlimited options when it comes to scoring goals/creating chances. In PES there are limitations to what's possible because the game just can't facilitate certain scenarios. I'm very interested to see how people feel about the games in 6 months. I'd bet a fair bit on people saying PES review scores were too high and they'll never trust a review again...until next year of course when the same thing will happen.

I think PES10 was the last one I really enjoyed.
At the moment it feels like I’m forcing myself to play PE16. Maybe it’s because when I play FIFA16 it feels like the classic PES’s in places.
Its great news that you can import (no option files) the kits and it don’t seem like it would take that long but then you have to edit (due to not being able to import the saved data) all the team names, leagues, set up how every team plays, assign boots and I just can’t be arsed with all that.
Ive not seen one video of the full game where I think I want to get home and fire up PES.

PES and FIFA usually get 9s and 10s in reviews. I ignore review scores because usually the reviewers are not necessarily football gaming fanatics like most of us are.

I won't go near PES this year after watching the full game videos. It's super fast and reminds me of the old FIFA games.

Chris absolutely nails what's wrong with PES 2016 from watching the videos and playing the demo.

It's a sad day for me - I don't like where Konami are taking the series now.

Switched off the ngb video review of PES earlier. Had enough after 5 minutes of Asim saying how great the game is.

Every year NGB hype up PES only for it to let most of us down.

I won't trust fan boy sites like theirs anymore - I will stick with the impartial websites.

I wonder what game will provide proper 2vs2 online gaming, if any game does actually.

Really miss the early days where that has been possible in PES (don´t know about FIFA).

Anyone have a clue?
I´m talking about 2vs2 lobbies, not 2vs2 "2 players on one device each".

Asim says, three minutes or so in, "what I look for is, is it fun". I think that's the key thing this year - I think if you play against someone who doesn't spam buttons, it may well be fun, and certainly fun more often than FIFA might be when it's so congested and difficult to force a move up the pitch in comparison.

But if that's all it's about, they may as well compare it to Mario: Strikers Charged rather than FIFA. (That sounds like trolling but it isn't, it's just ridiculous how easily the ball goes from defence to attack in the videos I'm seeing.)

IGN's PES review starts with something like "this is the best football game ever made" - which, whatever game you prefer, is a pretty fucking bold statement and makes you sound like you're sponsored by the developer - and continues to say it's the best "simulation". All I'll say is... Strongly disagree on that point, more than the first one even.

Theres no way PES16 is best game ever made. Never.

I hope the people that do buy it really enjoy it.

I wonder what game will provide proper 2vs2 online gaming, if any game does actually.

Really miss the early days where that has been possible in PES (don´t know about FIFA).

Anyone have a clue?
I´m talking about 2vs2 lobbies, not 2vs2 "2 players on one device each".

I have fond memories of this from PES6. Used to play 2 vs 2. Me and another dutch guy, both from our own homes. We played 2 guys fm Ireland.
Had great games, we won / we lost. Always fair and in good spirits. All of us trying to play football, not trying to expliot anything.

Best thing was you could create a room with a password, so only us could get in.
Maybe that is still possible but i'm not playing pes anymore these days. I stopped shortly after the series went to the ps3, which was in my opinion the beginning of the end.

Started playing Fifa since '14. Never play online cause i'm an old fart who has slow reactions and no idea how to do trick (nor do i want to)
That's why i only play the cpu these days.

EDIT : must admit, i don't play any game online. I must also admit that it is me that got older. I have no time to compete with the more younger crowd that plays games online.
They have the time to be online much more often than me.
So, i shouldn't bash online but accept that i just got older.

But i do wish i could find a few older guys that just wanna have a fun online game of football.

I miss the old days.

oh my, i feel the start of a depression coming up....i need alcohol and lots of it

Last edited:

What's this attack of the Fifa fans..Ign has been giving Fifa a blow job for years now and now the table have turned its a outcry.

I agree pes16 is the best footie game ever made..the clue is in the word GAME!

What's this attack of the Fifa fans..Ign has been giving Fifa a blow job for years now and now the table have turned its a outcry.

I agree pes16 is the best footie game ever made..the clue is in the word GAME!

And I think it really isn't. Clue is in the word BEST.

Asim says, three minutes or so in, "what I look for is, is it fun". I think that's the key thing this year - I think if you play against someone who doesn't spam buttons, it may well be fun, and certainly fun more often than FIFA might be when it's so congested and difficult to force a move up the pitch in comparison.

But if that's all it's about, they may as well compare it to Mario: Strikers Charged rather than FIFA. (That sounds like trolling but it isn't, it's just ridiculous how easily the ball goes from defence to attack in the videos I'm seeing.)

IGN's PES review starts with something like "this is the best football game ever made" - which, whatever game you prefer, is a pretty fucking bold statement and makes you sound like you're sponsored by the developer - and continues to say it's the best "simulation". All I'll say is... Strongly disagree on that point, more than the first one even.

This is the thing. Suddenly there's been a shift the the PES fans' mentality. What would have previously been lambasted as arcade rubbish is now seen as fun. I have nothing against that and actually made the point plenty of times on WENB that the old games were a mix of fast paced fun with lots of variation and detail. For a long time people were dead against "arcade" but now it seems like the fun factor is all that matters.

I'm a very long term PES fan, been on here 10 years, but the series is dying imo. The fanbase, whilst admirable, hold the game back by constantly accepting mediocrity. Keepers are a prime example and i even saw someone say on here that they were comparable to FIFA's. Now the game is getting 8,9 and 10/10 which is ludicrous. What incentive do Konami have to innovate and make real changes if this game gets 10/10?

To be clear, i have no problem with people enjoying this sort of game and i agree it's finally a return to form. It's a good game but there are huge areas of improvement and to suggest otherwise is madness in my opinion. Same goes with FIFA but that hasn't been called the best football game ever.

Last edited:

I don't understand how people are accepting of the keepers in PES. Every goal I've scored, or seen scored has been ruined by the keepers diving in slo motion. I can't get any satisfaction when I watch the replay and see that he's arms weren't even outstretched when the ball goes in, or how the game slows down when a save is involved.

Back
Top Bottom