FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

For me, football games started going downhill when a lot of people started complaining about "responsiveness", which meant that they didn't want the player to go through the natural animations of getting his body into the right shape, pulling his foot back, then kicking the ball. They wanted the ball to leave his foot the moment they pressed the button.

Anything else was considered "unresponsive" or "lag". That's why you see a lot of ping pong passing in both games. I say, bring back "unresponsiveness", except it's not going to happen.

How I feel right now (based on the demos and limited time on the full version of PES)...

PES 2019 would be genuinely incredible - if the AI didn't suffer from dreadful game-ruiners. (Passing the ball away from 1-on-1 opportunites, great dribblers not playing like themselves and instead joining in with the pass-pass-pass philosophy, teams always hitting the wings, always scoring the same way.)

FIFA 19 would be genuinely incredible - if the super-responsiveness didn't result in such weird-feeling moments where strikers take a touch and shoot within a single motion (and if the AI would take a touch of the ball before firing passes off - usually straight to the striker, no matter what).

TL;DR; PES is ruined for me by one-dimensional AI, FIFA is ruined for me by hyper AI (that somehow isn't difficult to beat). ARGH.

Hopefully in the full version of FIFA, whacking the AI "first touch error" slider up a bit will mean they have to take a touch more often. That will fix my major issue with it (that and Ultimate difficulty).

But I really enjoyed FIFA 18 (after the last patch and @Matt10's sliders) - so I'm a bit worried that I may not like this year's game. I have this horrible feeling that sliders aren't going to work as well this year, due to the super-responsiveness.

Please tell me you'll put together some sliders for FIFA this year, @Matt10 (you were enjoying PES last time we spoke)...

PES 2019 would be genuinely incredible - if the AI didn't suffer from dreadful game-ruiners. (Passing the ball away from 1-on-1 opportunites, great dribblers not playing like themselves and instead joining in with the pass-pass-pass philosophy, teams always hitting the wings, always scoring the same way.)

This.
Ill have no hesitation in buying PES again if Konami fix the awful AI.
Its great human v human but thats no possible these days as we aint 17 with tons of time on our hands.

Ive only played the FIFA demo twice - reason being is it dont save your settings and its a pain in the arse to set it up how I like it every time. But from what ive seen and felt its a good game but headers are way overpowered.

They could be 2 excellent games if the little things are sorted.

I really love the pass and crossing in PES its miles above FIFA in that regard but shooting is awful in PES.

FIFA 19 v Pes 2019 on wide camera. Pes smashed FIFA on graphics. FIFA 19 looks like PS3 game compere to Pes 2019 on wide cam. On zoom FIFA 19 looks better than Pes 2019.
Your posts always come across as hyperbolic [I dont mean offence here btw]

FIFA 19 never looks like a PS3 game. And PES doesn't SMASH FIFA on graphics either.

Saying that, I actually prefer pitch textures in PES this year.

i like how in fifa we have possession, build up and fast build up but PES its only two option we got (ofc tiki taka is still there but not used for many teams)

the basic tactics seem better in FIFA by a bit. especially that you can set how many players you can have in the box that way you can affect the cross frequency

Your posts always come across as hyperbolic [I dont mean offence here btw]

FIFA 19 never looks like a PS3 game. And PES doesn't SMASH FIFA on graphics either.

Saying that, I actually prefer pitch textures in PES this year.

It's not hyprbolic I try to be objective as well. Fifa 19 i like it. When i play i like. The same with Pes 2019 when i play i like. It's different games, different styles but two of them i like.

Pes 2019 has much better lighting, grass,player models, ball physic and collision system.

How I feel right now (based on the demos and limited time on the full version of PES)...

FIFA 19 would be genuinely incredible - if the super-responsiveness didn't result in such weird-feeling moments where strikers take a touch and shoot within a single motion (and if the AI would take a touch of the ball before firing passes off - usually straight to the striker, no matter what).

TL;DR; PES is ruined for me by one-dimensional AI, FIFA is ruined for me by hyper AI (that somehow isn't difficult to beat). ARGH.

Hopefully in the full version of FIFA, whacking the AI "first touch error" slider up a bit will mean they have to take a touch more often. That will fix my major issue with it (that and Ultimate difficulty).

But I really enjoyed FIFA 18 (after the last patch and @Matt10's sliders) - so I'm a bit worried that I may not like this year's game. I have this horrible feeling that sliders aren't going to work as well this year, due to the super-responsiveness.

Please tell me you'll put together some sliders for FIFA this year, @Matt10 (you were enjoying PES last time we spoke)...

Definitely will be tackling sliders this year. I still need time with the demo, but I agree it's that poor frostbite engine that can't seem to grasp any sense of non hyper animation.

I've accepted that's FIFA though. Hopefully sliders will make somewhat of a difference. Will have to see.

That's pretty much how I feel too. Only difference is the way the AI plays in FIFA doesn't ruin the experience for me, since it's defensible, but I agree that EA's decision to make players hyper-responsive is the biggest frustration.

That's pretty much how I feel too. Only difference is the way the AI plays in FIFA doesn't ruin the experience for me, since it's defensible, but I agree that EA's decision to make players hyper-responsive is the biggest frustration.
I sympathise, really - I imagine "make it more responsive" is something they hear a lot and anyone now saying "make it less responsive" might sound crazy. I think they may struggle to understand (or at least, care) that FIFA isn't a FPS and lightning-fast response time does not equal football sim.

But they're making a football game, so. As I say, I don't think they'll care.

Just hoping first touch error sliders etc. can help. But I doubt it, frankly.

I sympathise, really - I imagine "make it more responsive" is something they hear a lot and anyone now saying "make it less responsive" might sound crazy. I think they may struggle to understand (or at least, care) that FIFA isn't a FPS and lightning-fast response time does not equal football sim.

But they're making a football game, so. As I say, I don't think they'll care.

Just hoping first touch error sliders etc. can help. But I doubt it, frankly.

I think they're in a tough spot to change anything of significance, especially feel of the game. Basically, I am not sure they can afford to take that risk. We would love it, but would the FUT players? The ones that are Esports invested? I doubt it.

That's why it's FIFA of now, and it's just how it is. I love that they try, and their tactical system is superior to PES imho.

That's why it's FIFA of now, and it's just how it is. I love that they try, and their tactical system is superior to PES imho.
Agree.

Once again I'll be picking a football game based on what I hate least, as opposed to what I love more - because I find that the stuff you hate ruins a game quickly. Neither game is simply brilliant.

For me, it'll probably be FIFA. I just can't learn to love that PES AI, and on top of that, cope with how shit the database is (fake players etc.) and then on top of that, how boring the Master League is.

FIFA meanwhile has the tactics that seem to work (I find teams still play a bit too quickly to the striker though), and so much variety in the shots and goals (from the human players at least).

I think they're in a tough spot to change anything of significance, especially feel of the game. Basically, I am not sure they can afford to take that risk. We would love it, but would the FUT players? The ones that are Esports invested? I doubt it.

They are in a tough spot. And people like to bash EA for the type of football they put out but the reality is they're responding to the market place, to the fans, to the customers.

The demo feels quite a bit more responsive to me than the beta, with physics mattering less, and the AI defending seems less solid too. Two of the biggest complaints in the beta forums was that players turned too slowly and that AI defending was too tough... and so here we are.

Feel the same as you guys. My pick is going to be fifa as well, on slow with modified sliders.
Especially agree with what @mfmaxpower say about it being defendable despite the speed, very true.
The ai teammates have improved in that respect.

And indeed, we are too small a group to ever get a real slow game. It's the fut online crowd which is their real money maker so EA is right to listen to them and cater to their needs.....even if i don't like that at all.

I haven't purchased PES in 6 or 7 years and usually don't buy FIFA until the Black Friday sales hit in late November. This year though, I will buy FIFA on release. It is that good. Not perfect, but fun to play, like the old PS2 PES games. It's in another league compared to PES, these days.

The more I play the Fifa demo the more I dislike it. Really don't help that I can't play on slow.
Player models are awful and I really think pes have nailed the player attributes better.
I have 10 days to cancel my Fifa and after the last 2 days playing it I'm seriously considering it.
It's such a shame that pes is a shell of a game and looks awful off the pitch. The AI and Master League issues don't help either but when pes clicks it can be great but it don't click enough. I begrudge paying £50 download for half finished game.
I think I remember why I got rid if my console 2 years ago as both games just end up getting on my nerves.
I buy one and then remember I prefer the other then swap it and prefer the other. Makes me feel I'm going mad.

Last edited:
Hey I’m not Konami. But what about the idea of getting out a gameplay patch (LCS, KGTL) right before fifa is released?!
Just an idea from a customer who has no clue! ;)
Opportunities...

For a game whose motto is "if its in the game" why are silly things like player likeness so dated?
They go for all the excellent little details like keeper asking ball boy for ball but some player models are so old. De Gea has had long hair for years and Costa looks like the Costa that played for Madrid BEFORE he joined Chelsea.
Really dont get that.
From player models, likeness (except Naby Keita haha) attributes and weight PES have that to perfection.
So many players in Fifa look like they have American Football pads on their shoulders. Why cant they get that right?
Still not feeling player weight and attributes in Fifa - maybe thats cos the game needs slider and to be taken down to slow speed? Im hoping so.
Side note - someone on ebay was desperate to get rid of his PES19 so like the mug I am bought it for £26. Ill hold it until Konami fix the AI and Master League.

The more I play the Fifa demo the more I dislike it. Really don't help that I can't play on slow.
Player models are awful and I really think pes have nailed the player attributes better.
I have 10 days to cancel my Fifa and after the last 2 days playing it I'm seriously considering it.
It's such a shame that pes is a shell of a game and looks awful off the pitch. The AI and Master League issues don't help either but when pes clicks it can be great but it don't click enough. I begrudge paying £50 download for half finished game.
I think I remember why I got rid if my console 2 years ago as both games just end up getting on my nerves.
I buy one and then remember I prefer the other then swap it and prefer the other. Makes me feel I'm going mad.
maybe you are kinda in my park too. any way for you to play the full version withozut buying!? maybe a friend who is getting it...
so you can test it on slow and with more match time, and dont forget the sliders...!
i will do so for sure.
i remember you: the demo is an older build! i have hopes regarding that...!
but as i say that... might be old PES habbits kicking in! ;) :D

maybe you are kinda in my park too. any way for you to play the full version withozut buying!? maybe a friend who is getting it...
so you can test it on slow and with more match time, and dont forget the sliders...!
i will do so for sure.
i remember you: the demo is an older build! i have hopes regarding that...!
but as i say that... might be old PES habbits kicking in! ;) :D

So frustrating that what one game does well the other dont and vice versa.
Also so annoying that Konami need to fix 2 AI issues and Master League but how long will that take?
If they were sorted within a week of release I wouldnt even be thinking about buying FIFA as thats how good PES could be this year. As usual Konami always fuck something up and drive me back to FIFA.

So frustrating that what one game does well the other dont and vice versa.
Also so annoying that Konami need to fix 2 AI issues and Master League but how long will that take?
If they were sorted within a week of release I wouldnt even be thinking about buying FIFA as thats how good PES could be this year. As usual Konami always fuck something up and drive me back to FIFA.
this!!!
so a third company should exactly do that. put the best of both worlds in one game! i would be sold! :)
looking at the past, i just cant see EA or Konami do it themselves (wich would be an awesome move FOR THEMSELVES AND THE COMMUNITY)...!! gosh!! ^^

Ive played some FIFA 18 again,can't really compare the FIFA 19 demo to a full release,but I managed to play 2 games before I got bored out of my mind.
Yes OS sliders makes it better,but it's still a 100mph game,even though I play on slow with speed set to 46/49 and ACC at 49,it's still frantic!
If I'm gonna buy FIFA 19,that needs fixing,also the magnetic defending is horrible.
So if they fix the AI on Pes 19,that's my choice this year.
Ps still having fun on both FIFA 17 and Pes 17/18

Both games don't make me crazy. I haven't bought PES and might not buy FIFA if a couple of issues aren't improved. I can't understand why some people buy a game, sell it and buy it again, especially within the space of about 2 weeks... WTF! More money than sense.:LOL:

Both games make you crazy. To get not in the same situation, I will only buy digital copies.
Surely that ends up costing you more in the long run?
They've notoriously more expensive and have no resale value.
I bought PES for £35; already up to £18 with 7 days left on eBay.
Bought FIFA for £45.

Both games don't make me crazy. I haven't bought PES and might not buy FIFA if a couple of issues aren't improved. I can't understand why some people buy a game, sell it and buy it again, especially within the space of about 2 weeks... WTF! More money than sense.:LOL:

Because some companies have actually made through deception to create new kind of brain dead consumer that behaves just like you described.

For me, football games started going downhill when a lot of people started complaining about "responsiveness", which meant that they didn't want the player to go through the natural animations of getting his body into the right shape, pulling his foot back, then kicking the ball. They wanted the ball to leave his foot the moment they pressed the button.

Anything else was considered "unresponsive" or "lag". That's why you see a lot of ping pong passing in both games. I say, bring back "unresponsiveness", except it's not going to happen.
I have been playing PES 6 on PS2 this week and it's far more responsive than both Fifa 19 and PES 2019 - When exactly is it you thought the games went downhill as really PES 6 was the last truly great football game and it is very very responsive. PES 2019 now being the best football game since but it would be much better if it was as responsive as PES 6. Last night I pressed shoot for a Volley on 19 and while the bar was powered up my player chested it controlled it 3 times before shooting. Apart from the low cross issue it's the unresponsive that is by far its biggest issue.

I have been playing PES 6 on PS2 this week and it's far more responsive than both Fifa 19 and PES 2019 - When exactly is it you thought the games went downhill as really PES 6 was the last truly great football game and it is very responsive. PES 2019 now being the best football game since.

This is nonsense, it really is.
Look, I absolutely adore PES 6 on PS2 but to say it's more responsive than this years' games is ridiculous. Just one example - when a loose ball is bouncing out for a throw in in PES 6, running up to it and pulling it back before it crosses the line almost always ends in your player just nudging it into touch instead of flicking it back from the brink. Also, volleys were notoriously tricky in 6.

There's no way FIFA & PES 18 are less responsive than 6.

This is nonsense, it really is.
Look, I absolutely adore PES 6 on PS2 but to say it's more responsive than this years' games is ridiculous. Just one example - when a loose ball is bouncing out for a throw in in PES 6, running up to it and pulling it back before it crosses the line almost always ends in your player just nudging it into touch instead of flicking it back from the brink. Also, volleys were notoriously tricky in 6.

There's no way FIFA & PES 18 are less responsive than 6.
Yeah erm after playing I think I can tell that my inputs on the Dual Shock react quicker in PES 6 than both new titles. When was the last time you played it? No one on earth can think PES 6 was unresponsive. Go fire it up and you'll be amazed at how much more control you have over both current PES & Fifa.

Back
Top Bottom