FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Alright guys, I got Fifa bundled with my PS Pro, time to check it out. Can you recommend settings for someone used to Top Player and zero assist passing in PES?
I would recommend Semi-Assisted passing, and Legendary difficulty because even though it's the hardest one available, it's the most balanced one. Professional is too easy and World Class boosts the CPU like you wouldn't believe!

So i tried the fifa demo and well...

giphy.gif

Just read what i said in last years thread basically.

FIFA 18 plays nothing like real football. To even suggest it is laughable.

EA need to scrap this damn awful Frosty Engine and get back to basics. Game is a mess.

I pray one day EA will start again with the gameplay and actually at least try to make the game a fun arcade experience at least like FIFA World Cup 2010 was, or even anything between FIFA 10 and 11.

I do admit i really miss playing in smaller leagues for a little fun adventure like the Czech League, Swedish League etc.. even the Korean League once in a blue moon or league 1 & 2. You get to know certain players and keep and eye out of them in their careers. Something inside me felt a little more calm and i though maybe i'll try FIFA again as long as its playable but i tried the demo and

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FBeaker.gif

It must be really difficult as a PES fan trying not to enjoy FIFA and all the polished single player modes. Then trying to convince the people who like it how rubbish it is and how they've stitched up single players when it's exactly the opposite I think this year they've looked after us

It must be really difficult as a PES fan trying not to enjoy FIFA and all the polished single player modes. Then trying to convince the people who like it how rubbish it is and how they've stitched up single players when it's exactly the opposite I think this year they've looked after us
The truth is somewhere in the middle, mate. (In my opinion.)

The one-sentence "reviews" and funny pictures to express literally nothing about the game and just say "give me attention for being a naughty boy" are, for me, the worst thing about this place. (But it happens in the PES threads too. Worse, in the opinions of regular posters.)

But there are genuine concerns for me. I've said it (too) many times now but for me, the focus on Frostbite has resulted in gameplay shortcuts, because out of nowhere we've got new issues like defenders "magnetising" into position to prevent a shot (which prevents goals just as much as a goalkeeper palming the ball away without actually touching the ball, which I remember seeing a replay of last year).

To me there are more of those kinds of shortcuts now than there were before, but the absolute bottom line for me (and I've tried to get past it but I can't any more) is that they've totally ruined playing against the AI. They all want to pass straight forward, there's no possession play - and yet they can end up with 90% possession because every pass they hit is perfect.

I played 2vAI with a friend the other day and it's a much better experience - it feels like having two humans to consider makes the AI go "I can't predict this as easily, so I have to play properly". But when I go back to my FIFA 17 save, the AI is a million times more convincing when playing alone, though not as ruthless.

I could easily say "PES is just as bad with" X or Y, but PES doesn't come into my opinion of FIFA, because why should it. I could say that playing online is fucking awful too, but I don't really play online anyway, so it doesn't matter a great deal to me. All I know is, I think I prefer FIFA 17 (which I said as soon as I played the beta).

Last night I discovered single-player career mode for the first time. Holy goat, I'm in love! It's a proper, full on experience where I can play Premiership seasons with all the cup games etc. Amazing!

Last night I discovered single-player career mode for the first time. Holy goat, I'm in love! It's a proper, full on experience where I can play Premiership seasons with all the cup games etc. Amazing!
Single player as in locked-to-one-player?

I've not tried that this year, got to admit - or The Journey (swore I'd finish it in 17 first)...

Just played a bit of FIFA 11. Probably the greatest FIFA ever made. Even to this day. Ignite engine was a really good engine. We had games like FIFA 11(Best FIFA game), FIFA 12(really good), FIFA 13(probably second best), FIFA 14(again pretty good), FIFA 15(best dribbling system to date), FIFA 16(best use of strength, best shooting physics and third best FIFA game of all time). Apart from the graphics, there is literally no reason for them to switch to Frostbite. Why couldn't they just use both Ignite and Frostbite? Frostbite for graphics, rendering, AI engine and models and Ignite for gameplay, physics and animation. The only thing that I have seen improved gameplay wise moving to Frostbite engine is probably crossing and perhaps the pace difference between slow and fast players.

Cup mode , you can chose international or create a custom cup , select advanced options then you can basically create your own if you wish with loads of filters such as team stars / fill from certain leagues etc

Cup mode , you can chose international or create a custom cup , select advanced options then you can basically create your own if you wish with loads of filters such as team stars / fill from certain leagues etc
True, but when you play a custom tournament you always play on the arena from the home team with supporters mostly from the home team. So, I don't have the "world cup feeling" when the whole crowd starts booing when you score as the away team.

I remember the old PES games had the option to select a neautral crowd when you played the international cup.

Single player as in locked-to-one-player?

I've not tried that this year, got to admit - or The Journey (swore I'd finish it in 17 first)...

You choose one player to "become" or you can create your own and select a side to start with. If the manager picks you for the matches, you can play as you do now controlling the whole team but you get high ratings if your player plays well. If he's called up for internationals you play those too. He might get sold so you end up playing for a completely new side. It's brilliant.

You choose one player to "become" or you can create your own and select a side to start with. If the manager picks you for the matches, you can play as you do now controlling the whole team but you get high ratings if your player plays well. If he's called up for internationals you play those too. He might get sold so you end up playing for a completely new side. It's brilliant.

There's a big advantage to creating a player instead of "becoming" one as you only get to unlock all of the accomplishments etc by creating your player.

new patch, gameplay changes :

-incorrect penalty calls where defenders legally wins a header but also colides with attacking player

-goalkeeper staying on the ground too long , not attemptin to gather for the ball when the ball was within reach after save

theyve fixed the R2 dribbling button , amazing now with players like coutinho kagawa and gotze

played the last 4 hours solid, a bundesliga season with dortmund on world class, really enjoyed it and the difference in teams playing against you is great

even adding all the leagues to play with corrected stadiums(ive all mine edited) and without having to do a career mode is brilliant

the filter looks improved too for some stadiums and night lighting looks slightly better

did they fix magnetic tackles and shielding?

No, still in the game but nowhere near as bad.. The CPU also now does a lot less low driven passes.

The magnetic defending has now been replaced, by what appears to be the AI getting a pace and acceleration stat boost.

It's a lot harder against the CPU on world class at least. I was comfortably cruising before, got thumped last night playing the same way.

Does feel a lil like they've overpowered the CPU's shielding ability, thou shalt not pass if you're not ball side, whereas they can step through anyone.

the same i think , i slowly geting used to magnetising deffenders ;) issue is there but at the moment we have to take what they wanted to give us . I like one think , shielding button is very important in this game and its easier to shield the ball with strong players like fellaini.

Shielding works to retain the ball but you still can't get past legendary CPU defense regardless of the defender. Still pass-pass-pass-goal. No fun.

topaz i know about this but we have to live with this issue .

goalgerd: adding 1 point to speed and acc reduced magnetising defenders ?

i've found user acceleration boost to be pretty unfair, even at +1. gone from unable to score to pouring in the goals...seems like a critical value in gameplay balance

i've found user acceleration boost to be pretty unfair, even at +1. gone from unable to score to pouring in the goals...seems like a critical value in gameplay balance

I agree. Accelerate slider does more that what it says. It's more like a trigger chance than an actual modifier value.

Acceleration slider is linked to animation speed as well, isn't it? So your players become more responsive as well.

Back
Top Bottom