Fifa 17: The Journey - For discussions solely based on the story mode.

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
Started playing The Journey last night, chose Bournemouth at first but then at the last minute went with Boro, seems more realistic than just picking Liverpool or whatever, really, really enjoying it, so far its proved me very wrong as I said it'd be rubbish! Only annoyance is cutscenes can't be skipped, isn't a big deal on the first play through but playing it again will get very tedious, for now I'm playing as the whole team and for a second play through will play it solo.

Loving some of the tweets, they'll probably get boring eventually but so far impressed with the effort that has gone into them, this one cracked me up:

Scored my first senior goal in the pre-season friendly against Real Madrid:

What a leap for the headed goal!

I am about 3/4 games into the Prem and must admit it started off fun and good it had a story, but this is now already starting to get boring for me already.. You don't go on loan - you just move around Prem clubs.

I don't know whether every story is the same but seems like you are on the same pre-season tour as me although I started as Burnley.. In mine the main striker got injured and after the first game Burnley signed Harry Kane, and seemed as this is scripted to be the same at every club you play as.

I chose West Ham and they also signed Harry Kane. The unrealistic signings are my main gripe so far. On the other hand, I did go out on loan to Newcastle, are just about to play my first game for them, a really nice touch!

I chose West Ham and they also signed Harry Kane. The unrealistic signings are my main gripe so far. On the other hand, I did go out on loan to Newcastle, are just about to play my first game for them, a really nice touch!

How many games have you played?
Would be interesting to know as would love a better experience of going out on loan.

Hmm not many, about 6 games in to the season. First I was called to the office to be informed I had not been included in the Europa squad. A few games later I was told I was going on loan, got to choose between 3 teams, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Norwich.

Hmm not many, about 6 games in to the season. First I was called to the office to be informed I had not been included in the Europa squad. A few games later I was told I was going on loan, got to choose between 3 teams, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Norwich.

You mean the 3 clubs who happen to have been relegated from the Premier League and have they chants and grounds in the game??? That's convienient...

I am about 3/4 games into the Prem and must admit it started off fun and good it had a story, but this is now already starting to get boring for me already.. You don't go on loan - you just move around Prem clubs.
I'm sure I read that you can go on loan anywhere - but I guess you can't, seeing as no other teams have the manager avatars. Really disappointing!

I don't know whether every story is the same but seems like you are on the same pre-season tour as me although I started as Burnley.. In mine the main striker got injured and after the first game Burnley signed Harry Kane, and seemed as this is scripted to be the same at every club you play as.
Same thing. I signed for Liverpool, Sturridge (not that unrealistically) got injured in the pre-season tournament (during which we played Dortmund and Reus said hello to me, then Madrid, after which Rodríguez mentioned me in a post-match interview) and after game one they signed Kane.

I was hoping it would be a little bit more dynamic - started off quite enjoyably (to my surprise), but Klopp has got me in the first team despite having an OVR under 70 (?!) and the plot points are so stupid.

The players that "bully" him and his mate, the moment where someone says to them "what if there's only room for one of you on the teamsheet" and it causes this "rift" between them on the plane, so they cross their arms and look away from each other... Fuuuuuuucking hell, it's trying to be an episode of Eastenders but it comes out like an episode of Tracy Beaker. I hate EA, really, everything has to be so dramatic.

I am an overal of about 68 I think at the moment.
My mate Walker starts every game and I come on as sub at the moment, I wish you could make actual decisions which effect the main game...

But maybe next year EA can extend the mode and with some massive tweaking it could be alot more fun.

You mean the 3 clubs who happen to have been relegated from the Premier League and have they chants and grounds in the game??? That's convienient...

Haha, yeah very much so. They did leave out QPR though ;)

I'm sure I read that you can go on loan anywhere - but I guess you can't, seeing as no other teams have the manager avatars. Really disappointing!

Hmm I don't know, Newcastle does not have any manager avatar, it's just a blank face. So maybe you can go anywhere.

But maybe next year EA can extend the mode and with some massive tweaking it could be alot more fun.
Step one, let me be whoever I want (same applies to the manager mode, why do I have to pick someone who looks nothing like me when you've got an avatar creator for Be A Pro). The commentary can already cope with dropping a name into the middle of a sentence without it sounding strange, so why can't I pick a surname (like I can in Be A Pro) and the game cope with that?

Step two, let me start wherever I want (I don't care if they don't have a 3D version of the manager - I understand it means more work creating lower-league-standard dressing rooms and replacing all the plane flights with bus journeys, but clearly they can do it).

Step three, if it has to have scripts, don't spend money on a fancy scriptwriter who puts together something that wouldn't be out of place on kids TV, put together something barebones and let the mode and the gameplay do the talking. Also, stop going on about his dad not being there. THIS ISN'T THE X FACTOR.

I bet you the granddad dies, I just fucking bet you.

Step four... Remember Be A Legend in an old PES where the assistant manager would come out and tell you exactly what your role was? "This is what I want you to do, this is who you'll be up against, this is what the team tactics are going to be so expect crosses \ passes to feet \ etc..." That.

This is what really frustrates me - there's nothing of substance like that. Without scripts, voice actors, motion capture or anything like that, PES put together something where your assistant manager told you exactly what your role was every game, and where you had to earn the trust of your teammates before they'd regularly pass to you as the "new kid" with no reputation. That was infinitely more involving, realistic, and satisfying. Then, all that stuff disappeared, and now it's all so basic. Other than the training drills.

Last edited:
Step three, if it has to have scripts, don't spend money on a fancy scriptwriter who puts together something that wouldn't be out of place on kids TV, put together something barebones and let the mode and the gameplay do the talking.

That I think you hit it bang on the head...
The mode is clearly designed for kids, although I enjoyed it to start with I am getting bored of it already and only played 5/6 games.

I just went on loan to Norwich, was hoping I'd get to choose Wednesday obviously but yeah does seem that it's only those three relegated teams because of the stadiums/chants etc. I just got Walker sent off in the last match deliberately, enjoyed that!

Do people play as the whole team or just as Hunter?
Hunter - I can play as the whole team in any other mode, so I think it makes sense to be the one player in this one. Makes it tougher, but also means you get through the matches where you're the sub a bit quicker.

Since the idea is very much 2k,and the same critism was held there to,me starting off as as Swedish high school player,born and raised in Harlem....
That was based on Spike Lees "he got game" who also directed the "My player" mode there.
Sound about the same.
How long are your contracts for?
Hunters friend,are they playing together?

One oddity, it uses very outdated squads, pre deadline day, no idea the reasoning for that?

Yes that is very strange.

I must say, about 15 games into the season now and it's geting very boring. Not much of a story mode any longer, had about 2 cutscenes in the last 4 hours of playing. More like be a pro. And playing as only Hunter is no longer an option because of your teammates AI, they just run with the ball until they hit a defender and loose it.

Awwww shame to hear the negativity creep in the deeper you get into it. I've played just over and hour and was really enjoying it.

I'll carry on, but sounds like it tails off badly.

Awwww shame to hear the negativity creep in the deeper you get into it. I've played just over and hour and was really enjoying it.

I'll carry on, but sounds like it tails off badly.

I'm still enjoying it but I thought I was going to be on loan forever which was getting a bit boring!

Some really annoying mess ups with this mode. Like this Williams guy, who I am supposed to have an awesome partnership with, he hasn't played a single minute since I came to the team.

Best one for me is Harry Kane signing for Watford :LMAO:(I know he a script in the game but come on)

I have been on this mode all day despite many niggles It has been quite fun I was doing absolutely awful so ended up going on loan to Villa in championship where I have found myself. I scored a couple of hat tricks and in most matches getting above 8 rating which is what I need to progress.

I hope soon that I return to Watford game has bad button lag at times.

So what in store for Fifa 18 journey mode free roam?

I have now scored 4 in 3 for Newcastle on loan and doing ok..
But now since I am getting used to the game I just stand 7-10 yards away from the defence then start running and then call for a through ball and now starting to get a lot of 1 on 1's

But tbh I don't know how much longer I am going to enjoy this the AI is very poor at build up and the story is going to get tiresome quick..

My prediction is you massively fall out with your mate and you end up being a bigger better player..
You become best mates with the guy your on loan with..
When you finally make it you score in the Cup final and next day your granddad dies..

I have now scored 4 in 3 for Newcastle on loan and doing ok..
But now since I am getting used to the game I just stand 7-10 yards away from the defence then start running and then call for a through ball and now starting to get a lot of 1 on 1's

But tbh I don't know how much longer I am going to enjoy this the AI is very poor at build up and the story is going to get tiresome quick..

My prediction is you massively fall out with your mate and you end up being a bigger better player..
You become best mates with the guy your on loan with..
When you finally make it you score in the Cup final and next day your granddad dies..

Yes the AI is so poor, no proper build up play at all.

I guess this mode will be way better next year.

Based on the last two replies I'm glad I'm playing as the team and not just Alex!

Yes, I have started to do that myself now, or at least alter between the two.
About 12 games with Newcastle now, always starting, never subbed, no story cutscenes. I'm just holding on until I get called back to West Ham or sold now.

I swear the AI in the demo journey mode was far better then full game I remember being quite taken back at how good AI was.

But now I have the full game I just play as Hunter and its a chore at times AI takes about 10 years to get the ball to you.

Well I mist say the AI when playing in the PL again is way better than when you are on loan, now I'm enjoying playing as only Alex again.

It makes you wonder how this story is lined up sometimes. You are out of the squad for every FA Cup game, and then comes a cutscene where you are told by your granddad to prepare well for tomorrows cup game?

Back
Top Bottom