FIFA 16 vs PES 2021

giuzioevo

League 1
24 September 2020
I want you to explain pros and cons of both videogames considering the maximum potential with mods.

In recent years I have tried to establish the goal of making FIFA 16 the closest to reality game I have ever played, both visually and experientially. however I cannot deny that the development of pes 2021 in recent years has been monstrous, especially thanks to its easily modifiable structure. basically I never liked the game, strange and binary movements, horrible grass, bad net physics. however it seems that all these imperfections have been overcome thanks to the mods. and beyond this the game gives the possibility of enjoying that pure photorealism that I have always aspired to. in fact, there are some things that cannot be replicated in FIFA 16:
- perfect adboards with animations
- more harmonious movements
- better distribution of lights and shadows of the players on the pitch
- fully editable camera to reproduce the perfect shots for TV
- more realistic goal celebrations (without those bugs that skip directly to replays)
- more defined player faces
- possibility to insert realistic transitions
- possibility of including special preparations in the pre-match

everything that is obviously not playable in fifa 16 makes me wonder why I don't move on to pes 2021, given my conception of the game, however essentially there are some things that I will never like about pes and that I'm sticking to the second video game most realistic in the world:
-lack of transitions of players expressing emotions after an event on the pitch/picking up balls for a throw-in/placing the ball for a goal kick
- adboards that continue to scroll during replays
-trophy celebration too short
- career mode that revives players once they retire.
- the fact that I now have hundreds of stadiums and a certain knowledge in FIFA 16 modding, while in PES 2021 I would have to start from scratch.

I would like to have an opinion from anyone who has had the opportunity to try and mod both games

Last edited:
Well, if I speak about both games and modding experience, it would easily fill this thread with long ass paras.

In short, like you said, PES 2021 has a lot more modding possibilities and mods available, thanks to Juce's Sider. It opens up many ideas and additions, such as kit server, stadium server, scoreboard server, you get it...

FIFA 16 is limited in terms of adding things that are non-existent within the game (excluding stadium add-ons and a few other things).

Now, when it comes to the gameplay aspect, FIFA 16 is slightly above PES 2021 because, in FIFA 16, player positioning, the "intelligence" of an AI when it comes to making decisions based on the current situation happening on the pitch, emotions, and all (like you said) are more "diversified" or "flexible". Other aspects are on par, in my opinion. PES 2021 has good ball physics, but the lack of good dribbling mechanics slightly overshadows it.

If you give me FIFA 16 + a slightly tweaked camera mod + a good patch (Season patch) + a Ball Physics mod (Anth done it), I will take this over PES 2021 + all the sider servers and modules any day unless anybody fixes the above issues I mentioned that are really identifiable, especially after you play a game like FIFA 16. That's my verdict (from what I remember and what I experienced).

PS: Master League and it's flows (only a few but game-breaking and frustrating) is a whole different section to speak with. I don't want to get that started.

Well, if I speak about both games and modding experience, it would easily fill this thread with long ass paras.

In short, like you said, PES 2021 has a lot more modding possibilities and mods available, thanks to Juce's Sider. It opens up many ideas and additions, such as kit server, stadium server, scoreboard server, you get it...

FIFA 16 is limited in terms of adding things that are non-existent within the game (excluding stadium add-ons and a few other things).

Now, when it comes to the gameplay aspect, FIFA 16 is slightly above PES 2021 because, in FIFA 16, player positioning, the "intelligence" of an AI when it comes to making decisions based on the current situation happening on the pitch, emotions, and all (like you said) are more "diversified" or "flexible". Other aspects are on par, in my opinion. PES 2021 has good ball physics, but the lack of good dribbling mechanics slightly overshadows it.

If you give me FIFA 16 + a slightly tweaked camera mod + a good patch (Season patch) + a Ball Physics mod (Anth done it), I will take this over PES 2021 + all the sider servers and modules any day unless anybody fixes the above issues I mentioned that are really identifiable, especially after you play a game like FIFA 16. That's my verdict (from what I remember and what I experienced).

PS: Master League and it's flows (only a few but game-breaking and frustrating) is a whole different section to speak with. I don't want to get that started.
Agree with you friend. although technology would theoretically move forward there is always something that makes me reluctant to abandon this game, honestly the only game I thought about changing is precisely pes 2021 for its mods, because otherwise I don't see anyone at its height. the only problem that really bothers me with fifa are the camera shots, I'm trying to see what I can do with the cheat engine, but I just haven't understood how this program works yet and I don't want to cause any damage. I saw a video on FIFA 20 where with the cheat engine you can easily increase the height compared to the default. who knows if it is possible on FIFA 16 and if the height can also be reduced

I want you to explain pros and cons of both videogames considering the maximum potential with mods.

In recent years I have tried to establish the goal of making FIFA 16 the closest to reality game I have ever played, both visually and experientially. however I cannot deny that the development of pes 2021 in recent years has been monstrous, especially thanks to its easily modifiable structure. basically I never liked the game, strange and binary movements, horrible grass, bad net physics. however it seems that all these imperfections have been overcome thanks to the mods. and beyond this the game gives the possibility of enjoying that pure photorealism that I have always aspired to. in fact, there are some things that cannot be replicated in FIFA 16:
- perfect adboards with animations
- more harmonious movements
- better distribution of lights and shadows of the players on the pitch
- fully editable camera to reproduce the perfect shots for TV
- more realistic goal celebrations (without those bugs that skip directly to replays)
- more defined player faces
- possibility to insert realistic transitions
- possibility of including special preparations in the pre-match

everything that is obviously not playable in fifa 16 makes me wonder why I don't move on to pes 2021, given my conception of the game, however essentially there are some things that I will never like about pes and that I'm sticking to the second video game most realistic in the world:
-lack of transitions of players expressing emotions after an event on the pitch/picking up balls for a throw-in/placing the ball for a goal kick
- adboards that continue to scroll during replays
-trophy celebration too short
- career mode that revives players once they retire.
- the fact that I now have hundreds of stadiums and a certain knowledge in FIFA 16 modding, while in PES 2021 I would have to start from scratch.

I would like to have an opinion from anyone who has had the opportunity to try and mod both games
About the fifa 16 adboards: it is possible, but it’s very hard to create them.

Yeah it's a bit tricky. But when you follow the instructions, not impossible.
hi, can this gameplay mod work with version 1.7? because I use cgfs for football stadiums..is it really different from the final supernova gameplay mod? and to install it I can follow the instructions in this thread ( https://evoweb.uk/threads/best-fifa...e-best-football-game-ever.84485/#post-3604294) even with the fip patch already installed? thank you in advance for your feedback

Dribbling in FIFA 16 feels a lot better than PES 21, for me at least. It feels so unresponsive on PES 21 whereas in 16, it's fairly balanced. The player animations looks robotic on 16 compared to 21 but on pes 21 sometimes it feels like the players are sliding on the pitch instead of having their foot planted on the ground, so there's that.

Graphically PES 21 mostly beats FIFA 16 except for the cloth physics which is non existent on PES 21. Lack of weather and match times also makes 16's atmosphere more variable when you eventually get bored.

If I had to pick between FIFA 16 and PES 21, I'd go for FIFA 16 purely in terms of gameplay. However, PES 21 has so many mods that I really love [like classic team mods, etc] and it has been cracked- meaning the game will be always accessible throughout the years unlike fifa 16.

After playing FIFA 16-19, playing PES 2021 (at least on consoles) is like playing on a field twice as large with players not particularly motivated to move one yard to the left or right to prevent a pass. Stiull can't get over the one dimensional (mostly) goals. Too predictable.

Dribbling in FIFA 16 feels a lot better than PES 21, for me at least. It feels so unresponsive on PES 21 whereas in 16, it's fairly balanced. The player animations looks robotic on 16 compared to 21 but on pes 21 sometimes it feels like the players are sliding on the pitch instead of having their foot planted on the ground, so there's that.

Graphically PES 21 mostly beats FIFA 16 except for the cloth physics which is non existent on PES 21. Lack of weather and match times also makes 16's atmosphere more variable when you eventually get bored.

If I had to pick between FIFA 16 and PES 21, I'd go for FIFA 16 purely in terms of gameplay. However, PES 21 has so many mods that I really love [like classic team mods, etc] and it has been cracked- meaning the game will be always accessible throughout the years unlike fifa 16.
Agreed. You can spend time and make the best kits you can on PES 2021 but the kits look like they're made out of paper. PES 2019 was the last nice looking texture (a bit shiny but at least looked like a synthetic material with reflection, etc.) My laptop is crap for PES 2021 so I don't know if they improve with mods but FIFA 16 is light years ahead for kit models, even with the official kits in PES 2021.

Agree. However, I like to have another game like PES 21 to switch to another footy game from time to time

For me the only area where fifa 16 is in front of pes 21 is the AI way of playing...we all play in single player mode and pes21 master league matches are so boring compared to fifa 16, despite all the gameplay modes that have been released the AI is really monotonous, boring and sometimes horribly frustrating in its games.

For me the only area where fifa 16 is in front of pes 21 is the AI way of playing...we all play in single player mode and pes21 master league matches are so boring compared to fifa 16, despite all the gameplay modes that have been released the AI is really monotonous, boring and sometimes horribly frustrating in its games.
Agree - and it’s an unbelievably huge part of a football gameplay experience.

I enjoy playing PES21 except for this exact reason, that the atmosphere is like a funeral home especially when it's a nighttime match with washed-out looking pitches and fans half asleep too lazy to cheer. My laptop isn't powerful enough to play PES21 to see how beautiful it can look but even then, the atmosphere compared to even the worst FIFA is dismal. PES19 had great visuals and atmosphere and even PES20 wasn't too bad compared to 21. You really do have to be in the right frame of mind to play 21 on a console otherwise you get depressed at the low energy level the game has.

I am a console player,so i am going to talk about console's versions of games.
Pes2021 was my favorite football game before i started a "nostalgia" operation 2 years ago.
I found a PS2 and bought a new pes5,still boxed, and i discover that i forgot how good football games was. It was not just nostalgia,cause my fun would end in a couple of matches if the game didn't like me. I bought a freemcboot and i recover we10 and we9le..i bought ps2008 on PS2. I played them all for 2 years and when i came back to Pes 2021 i realized how bad,or better, overrated, this game was.

Pes 2021 Is basically a good looking, scripted novel. The game LOOKS realistic, have good looking, cosmetic animations but at the end of the day it plays bad,far from be realistic and even fun. The only good thing It has is the ball physics regarding passes. Cause shooting is awful. Even physics collisions between players is a joke.
The game force you to play in the way it want to be played,lacks a lot in variety. Basically all people play in the same way,and all people score always the same kind of goals.
Midfield don't cover passing lane,so build up in this game is a joke. Dribbling is never a good option (and i am good at dribbling in the game). Stats of players doesn't impact the game as they should. Basically you to have bring the ball in the final third (8 times on 10 a pass from the Cb to CF Is enough,as i said the midfield doesn't cover nothing), look for a 1-2 pass+through ball.
Counterattacks are very unrealistic overpower: when i used to play online,basically every time someone lose the ball near the final opponents third, the risk ti concede a goal was huge.
I really desprect this game today.

I used to be a fifa player from fifa 09 to fifa17 (i skipped fifa 15 and stopped with football games from fifa 17. I restarted with pes2020). Some months ago, just for the sake of curiosity i fired up Fifa 16 on ps5..
I was shocked how great this game was (i remember this game was my favorite fifa,but i forgot how good It was).
Yes It looks more robotic,animations whise,compared to pes2021,but It Is better in every thing that real matters in a game.
Midfield Is strong, even if the pass % accurarcy per game is high we see a lot more interceptions than in pes2021 (cause we are forced to play with a lot more safe passes to try to find a break in the lines). Physics challenges and body collisions between players are great, shooting and dribbling are so rewarding. The variety of situations Is outstanding and i don't feel there Is a "Metà" way to score,neither scripts in game.
Ball physics regarding passes Is not as good as the pes2021 One but i can stay with It. I Just miss the Referee strickness which pes5 has.
This game is fantastic and it Is up with Pes5/we9le to be my favorite football game ever.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
I enjoy playing PES21 except for this exact reason, that the atmosphere is like a funeral home especially when it's a nighttime match with washed-out looking pitches and fans half asleep too lazy to cheer. My laptop isn't powerful enough to play PES21 to see how beautiful it can look but even then, the atmosphere compared to even the worst FIFA is dismal. PES19 had great visuals and atmosphere and even PES20 wasn't too bad compared to 21. You really do have to be in the right frame of mind to play 21 on a console otherwise you get depressed at the low energy level the game has.

Vanilla PES 21 is awful. But maxed out and heavy-modded, it can look pretty good. There are some modders out there, that make the game look almost real at first glance.
I still prefer FIFA 16 though.

Fifa 16 still the best I tried and its amazing way better than pes 21 in every single aspect pes 21 is obsolote
As much as I love PES 21, I agree with this.

The Fox Engine had so much potential and PES 2021 had so much potential overall but Konami didn't maintain that properly IMO. I mean FIFA 16 feels like a properly finished product, which might be due to it being the last game of the Ignite engine, but so was PES 2021 for Fox Engine.

I mean, FIFA has a referee database, and refereeing leniency is bound to them so the amount of fouls and handballs will differ every game. In PES, I have to play with a Premier League or La Liga team just to justify the refereeing decisions.

The gameplay is tough to compare. The only thing that I never liked in PES was how attacking football gets in Knockout rounds when the opposition is losing. I mean for eg, if I score and get the lead in 2nd leg of UCL, I know I am going to win the match because the opposition attacking is way high that they leave their defensive positions open totally. This I haven't seen in FIFA yet, or at least it doesn't happen always.

Modding I would say PES is better and can be way better but we still have limited knowledge of it.

After a long time I return to FIFA. Pes 2021 is a good game, but unfortunately the community is becoming very corrupted with paid content

Now as for the game, I always liked FIFA's database. The possibility of being able to add leagues without deleting existing ones

Last edited:
PES with gameplay mods is awesome game. But had two really bad things. First is the too many space in the middle of the pitch.Very little physical battles and fighting in center area. No real playing football on the small area. Real pressure by the cpu players starts only near the box. Second thing is the career mode. Its very limited. The worst thing is "regens" idea. No generate random young players in youth team but after several years we have 16-17 years old Messi , Ronaldo, Lewandowski in youth team with his real faces. This causes that i must start career mode from the beginning after several seasons. With this two things FIFA 16 is great experience, possibilities in career mode in FIFA give a huge immersion and sense of identification with our team. Also match atmosphere , wheater conditions etc is better.But in some aspect of gameplay its already visible that is old gen game. Ball physics, goalnets physics, players model and animation, smoothness of animation, crosses looks like a very high ball in match camera. That things are better in PES. Fifa is still very good game but needs some next gen fixes.But i know that creating such a mod its imposible.When we do not pay attention to certain imperfections in gameplay fifa still gives a lot of fun. Perfect game = combine Fifa 16 with PES with mods:)
I guess it's impossible to clearly say which game is better

PES with gameplay mods is awesome game. But had two really bad things. First is the too many space in the middle of the pitch.Very little physical battles and fighting in center area. No real playing football on the small area. Real pressure by the cpu players starts only near the box. Second thing is the career mode. Its very limited. The worst thing is "regens" idea. No generate random young players in youth team but after several years we have 16-17 years old Messi , Ronaldo, Lewandowski in youth team with his real faces. This causes that i must start career mode from the beginning after several seasons. With this two things FIFA 16 is great experience, possibilities in career mode in FIFA give a huge immersion and sense of identification with our team. Also match atmosphere , wheater conditions etc is better.But in some aspect of gameplay its already visible that is old gen game. Ball physics, goalnets physics, players model and animation, smoothness of animation, crosses looks like a very high ball in match camera. That things are better in PES. Fifa is still very good game but needs some next gen fixes.But i know that creating such a mod its imposible.When we do not pay attention to certain imperfections in gameplay fifa still gives a lot of fun. Perfect game = combine Fifa 16 with PES with mods:)
I guess it's impossible to clearly say which game is better

Fifa 16 ball physics isn't that bad. It's a lil weird passing regard,pes21 do better here, but It is better than Pes one when you shooting and by far.
Body collisions physics is great,while pes21 one is really poor and simplified.
I agree about animation, they can looks odd,but they works fine at the end of the day.
I played both game again in these day,and they really can't be in the same topic if we talk about gameplay.
The perfect game could be fc24 if only EA want It. Cause they are totally able to do that,just they don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom