Fifa 12 - Ranked games to be tactical defending only...

aaarrrggh

League 2
20 March 2005
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I've got the full version of the game. Legitimate and I've been playing it online (check my gamertag: citypaul if you don't believe me - you can see it in my games list)

I've been absolutely LOVING it so far. Played a bunch of games and it's been great.

However, I've had to turn tactical defending off because I hate it and can't get my head around it at all. I gave it a chance, but it dawned on me that I will never be able to play the game this way. This wouldn't be such a big issue, but I went to play the online seasons aspect of the game (some kind of promotion/relegation) thing just now, and was forced to play in tactical defending mode. Conceded a goal in 3 minutes and my players just ran about all over the place.

A lot of people say things like "I like tactical defending because it prevents people from just being able to hold down a button to defend". In my opinion, people who say things like that say it because they're not actually very good at the game and don't understand how to ACTUALLY use those buttons using legacy defending.

Here's why I'll never be able to use the new system: I use the old method of defending differently to how most people use it (I think). When I'm defending, I tend to physically control a player near to the player I think you're trying to pass to. I then hold down the pressure button to bring out a computer controlled defender to put pressure on you. If he gets close enough, I'll take control of him and try to nick the ball from you. If not, then I spend the time controlling the other guy while trying to block out the runs you're trying to make and to block out passes to players in good positions.

Here's the key thing: when I defend using the old system, I'm not controlling the defender closest to the opponent with the ball. As far as I can tell, all of tactical defending is based around controlling the player closest to the attacking opponent. For this reason, I will never be able to play it - it's a completely fundamental shift in the way I'd have to play the game.

It's simply not a legitimate concern that players could just hold down a button and take the ball off you. I always used to smirk at people who said such things in the past, because I knew it just meant they're not good at the game - and I still hold to that opinion to this day. Try just holding down the pressure button against me and see where it gets you.

If we can't play ranked games using legacy defending, I'm afraid my fifa days are going to be numbered.

Gutted :-(

A lot of people say things like "I like tactical defending because it prevents people from just being able to hold down a button to defend". In my opinion, people who say things like that say it because they're not actually very good at the game and don't understand how to ACTUALLY use those buttons using legacy defending.

I'v had no problems deffending with both techniques yet I still preffer tatical deffending. Does it mean that I'm "not actually very good at the game and don't understand how to ACTUALLY use those buttons using legacy defending." Hell no it doesnt.

My advice, do the tut some more and do pratice matches if you really want to do ranked matches.

I'v had no problems deffending with both techniques yet I still preffer tatical deffending. Does it mean that I'm "not actually very good at the game and don't understand how to ACTUALLY use those buttons using legacy defending." Hell no it doesnt.

My advice, do the tut some more and do pratice matches if you really want to do ranked matches.

No it doesn't.

What I'm referring to is people who claim that legacy defending = mindlessly holding a button so the computer does all the work for you.

That's what I'm saying is not a legitimate criticism.

As far as I can tell, all of tactical defending is based around controlling the player closest to the attacking opponent.
I would disagree. I'm not sure why you think that. Perhaps you are focussing too much on the 'hold button to Contain' aspect.

I don't fully understand why your particular method of defending should be causing you a problem. Trying to, as you put it:

block out the runs you're trying to make and to block out passes to players in good positions.

...is surely what tactical defending is about, isn't it?

Stick with it and treat it as a learning process :)

I would disagree. I'm not sure why you think that. Perhaps you are focussing too much on the 'hold button to Contain' aspect.

I don't fully understand why your particular method of defending should be causing you a problem. Trying to, as you put it:

...is surely what tactical defending is about, isn't it?

Stick with it and treat it as a learning process :)

I've tried playing with tactical defending, but using my old technique seems completely hopeless with it. I just can't seem to fathom it at all.

I actually always thought my defensive technique was quite common until I started talking to people about this...

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I've got the full version of the game. Legitimate and I've been playing it online (check my gamertag: citypaul if you don't believe me - you can see it in my games list)

I've been absolutely LOVING it so far. Played a bunch of games and it's been great.

However, I've had to turn tactical defending off because I hate it and can't get my head around it at all. I gave it a chance, but it dawned on me that I will never be able to play the game this way. This wouldn't be such a big issue, but I went to play the online seasons aspect of the game (some kind of promotion/relegation) thing just now, and was forced to play in tactical defending mode. Conceded a goal in 3 minutes and my players just ran about all over the place.

Here's why I'll never be able to use the new system: I use the old method of defending differently to how most people use it (I think). When I'm defending, I tend to physically control a player near to the player I think you're trying to pass to. I then hold down the pressure button to bring out a computer controlled defender to put pressure on you. If he gets close enough, I'll take control of him and try to nick the ball from you. If not, then I spend the time controlling the other guy while trying to block out the runs you're trying to make and to block out passes to players in good positions.

Here's the key thing: when I defend using the old system, I'm not controlling the defender closest to the opponent with the ball. As far as I can tell, all of tactical defending is based around controlling the player closest to the attacking opponent. For this reason, I will never be able to play it - it's a completely fundamental shift in the way I'd have to play the game.

It's simply not a legitimate concern that players could just hold down a button and take the ball off you. I always used to smirk at people who said such things in the past, because I knew it just meant they're not good at the game - and I still hold to that opinion to this day. Try just holding down the pressure button against me and see where it gets you.

If we can't play ranked games using legacy defending, I'm afraid my fifa days are going to be numbered.

Gutted :-(

I replied to you in the other thread but I'll say more here. Some of what you say here about people being no good is complete gash. No offence but it's a load of rubbish. I ain't no double pressure guy at all and defend the same way as you at times too. Guess what? I still can in the new defending system (in the demo) too!

We can all pass around plebs just holding down the two heat seeking missile buttons you know. It's not just you who can. I laugh at the plebs even attempting it.

When people get used to the new system, I honestly believe it will be harder to break teams down. That to me can only be a good thing.

Instead of criticising the new system, learn to master it and you might surprise yourself.

Anyway, each to their own. I don't really know why I've bothered typing this in here but I suppose it's because I find it strange that people are whining and the full game has only just been released. Surely it's a goof thing that the new system takes some time to get used to?! Mastering a game after 30 mins is boring and a waste of a years development time. I'd stick with FIFA 11 if you don't want to move on with the series and save your money.

The way you described how you defend would actually be much more effective if you did it using Tactical Defending. Just put the time in to learn it, it's worth it. I got cained at first online as I didn't grasp some fundamental things about TD, now that I do I feel it is the best thing to happen in the game in years.

Any huge change like this is always going to be polarising, but objectively speaking it is undeniable that the old system was counter-intuitive to what EA are, ostensibly speaking, trying to create; a football simulation more so than a football 'game'.

OR they like it because it prevents people from holding down a button to defend.

Sometimes a cigar is a just a cigar.

The way you defend is the way I use to defend too (with the man controlled by me trying to "jockey" to close the path of a pass and my teammate controlled by the CPU going close to the opponent) and I welcome Tactical Defending.

I mean, during my (few) online matches I only ran into people using their player to press my man with the ball and the "CPU press" to... Press my player with the ball.

I'm really glad this cannot be done anymore online.

OR they like it because it prevents people from holding down a button to defend.

Sometimes a cigar is a just a cigar.

Exactly. Such a sweeping statement such as 'People who disliked the old way of defending are rubbish' is quite frankly ridiculous.

I understand people are having a tough time adjusting to TD but I struggle to see how anyone can find it worse than the old way once they've adjusted.

Give it time :))

Try using L2 to back off players.
I don't use Contain as I think it doesn't do any good for me instead of just tracking the players with the ball.

L2 just make your player jockey, and it is easier to track players runs - I usually try to close down passing lanes and it works perfectly for me. But I needed some getting used to and when first you get a hang of it - You will feel much more enjoyment when you perfectly time a standing or sliding tackle.

So if you don't try to learn it - It is you that is very bad at this game ;)

Back
Top Bottom