Fifa 12 or PES12? - Gameplay-wise

Which game has the best Gameplay?

• Total voters

jonneymendoza

Legend
1 January 2004
Arsenal
Time for a poll and a discussion on which one you prefer based on the demo's many of us have played. it might still be early days for people to reserve judgement so if it is, pop back in this thread when you feel you have had plenty of time to play each demo.

This is strickly a Gameplay poll. not about graphics, amount of online modes or who has the best goal nets but about the most important aspect of a sports game, the gameplay.

for me, i find PES gameplay is much better then FIFA. i like it because its more difficult, the pace is perfect and the AI is superb.

FIFA demo is prey good. a lot better then ffia 11. it has good AI and good defending system thats just like PES ie no more pressure whores but the pace of the game is a bit too fast and unrealistic and i generally feels a bit more arcadie then PES.

in a nutshell i will be buying both games as there is room for both in my library.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying both demos to be honest. I was amazed how good FIFA12 is on PC after so many years PC FIFA has been in the wilderness. Here's my thoughts on each one's strengths.

++ FIFA Ball physics. Lovely weight to the ball and variation in shooting.
++ FIFA animations: so smooth. Makes controlling throw ins and goalies a joy too.
+++ FIFA goalkeepers AI and animation.
+++ FIFA turf and graphical sharpness (no blur filter!)
+++ FIFA Sounds, match day atmosphere, chants & commentary
+ FIFA choice of three kits, higher res kits

++++++ PES AI
++ PES strategy and tactics
++ PES player individuality
+ PES kit fidelity (no stretching of fonts over the shoulders)

Despite being so much on the back foot cosmetically, the PES 2012 AI is just sublime. If PES AI hadn't taken a huge step forward this year I would have almost certainly been converted to FIFA.

But FIFA AI is better than I thought it might be, after reading many comments. Perhaps I am too new to see the flaws. It's a bit weird though, because the AI plays a very different game when you start spamming the precision dribbling button. Both friendly and opposition AI react very differently when you use L2/LT. I've seen some lovely runs (diagonal too) from the FIFA AI. But the AI is perhaps a bit less active than PES, where you can get in a sublime groove with the whole team flowing around a good ball handler.

Last edited:
Although the 2nd PES demo is one hell of an improvement, I still felt as though I could pass the ball about for fun and at speed. From reading other posts I'd have thought FIFA was lightning fast compared to PES but when I turned PES on I found it faster than FIFA. It honestly feels more pingpongy too. I can knock the ball about a lot faster in PES than I can in FIFA. People might say different but that's honestly how it feels to me.

I'm more comfortable defending in FIFA too. Even with the new system.

Maybe it's the way I play the game? But anyway, I only play online and I'm not interested in Ultimat Team or MLO so with Clubs and the New Leagues and Cups being introduced, FIFA will offer more for me plus I still think it's a better game. I'm not into all this inertia bollocks and feel some people go way overboard with their criticisms of certain things. Fuck me, some people still mention nets and socks!

So I'm sticking with FIFA this year but I'm glad PES is getting better and better.

Sorry Jonney, not sure this is going to work mate, i appreciate what your trying to achieve here but this is a flame-fest waiting to happen.Whilst i appreciate that we do have some well balanced individuals that use these forums we also have the opposite ..& they are the ones that will ruin this thread.

Last edited:
when I turned PES on I found it faster than FIFA. It honestly feels more pingpongy too. I can knock the ball about a lot faster in PES than I can in FIFA.
By playing with the gamespeed and passing assistance in both demos it is possible to have a similar experience in the passing part of the game, I think. Although FIFA has the option for full manual which some love AFAIK. PES with three or four bars of passing assistance can be very ping-pongy if you play it like that. Zero bars passing assistance in PES seems something like semi-assisted to me in FIFA.

Last edited:
By playing with the gamespeed and passing assistance in both demos it is possible to have a similar experience in the passing part of the game, I think. Although FIFA has the option for full manual which some love AFAIK. PES with three or four bars of passing assistance can be very ping-pongy if you play it like that. Zero bars passing assistance in PES seems something like semi-assisted to me in FIFA.

I've only played with the defaults so far. Reason in FIFA is I'm concentrating more on the new defending system as believe me, I hate assisted passing so will be moving away from it very soon.
PES, I just turned it on for a quick go. I'll change the passing settings next time I try it out.
Cheers.

It's very difficult to judge. Both games are really nice! I don't know which one i will buy first:ROLL: FIFA 12 look fresh. PES have quality level obtain PS2 days. I feel PES 2012 have deeper gameplay in my opinion than FIFA 12.

I've only played with the defaults so far. I hate assisted passing so will be moving away from it very soon.
PES, I just turned it on for a quick go. I'll change the passing settings next time I try it out.
Cheers.
Yep PES default is 3 bars which is incredibly assisted, especially compared to FIFA.

I wonder if it's possible to have a thread for sharing tips for those few players who enjoy both games. It might be good for sharing tips on migrating skills and tactics from one game to another. I am liking how both games require a different way of playing to be enjoyable, but I'd like to hear some tips from those who know both games.

Last edited:
This poll is pointless really, neither game is released yet first of all, just demos. Plus it's guaranteed to turn into a shitstorm :/

how is it pointless? did u read my first post at all? this is a poll about the gameplay and both demo's represent 99.9% of the final retail version of the gameplay.

Sorry Jonney, not sure this is going to work mate, i appreciate what your trying to achieve here but this is a flame-fest waiting to happen.Whilst i appreciate that we do have some well balanced individuals that use these forums we also have the opposite ..& they are the ones that will ruin this thread.

could we leave it open until it goes to shit? so far we are havinga good healthy discussion

Again this year Fifa for human vs human and online /
Pes for ML but i dont think that pes ai can keep me longer than 2 months :( anotheer thing is lack of individuality in new pes compare to pes11 and ps2 games - again they going in wrong way :( i will spent most of the time with fifa i think.

Last edited:
if had to choose, i would always say pes5/we9le/pes6.

but between those two, according to demo versions of both games, fifa 12 definately!

I can't get used to the controls on the new FIFA. Square to tackle feels awful and trying to do simple things like run jockey and bring a second man in to help and then tackle requires you to hold about 5 buttons at once. Then there is the AI, my team mates just won't make runs and even hitting L1 only sends 1 man running forwards and usually it's not the man I wanted. And of course player switching is still messy. Also like last years fifa player individuality is hardly there... Messi runs just like everyone else and on the default camera view its hard to clearly see which player model is his. He seems too tall. I wish I could enjoy it because the other non gameplay elements really excite me.

Last edited:
I can't get used to the controls on the new FIFA. Square to tackle feels awful and trying to do simple things like run jockey and bring a second man in to help and then tackle requires you to hold about 5 buttons at once. Then there is the AI, my team mates just won't make runs and even hitting L1 only sends 1 man running forwards and usually it's not the man I wanted. And of course player switching is still messy. Also like last years fifa player individuality is hardly there... Messi runs just like everyone else and on the default camera view its hard to clearly see which player model is his. He seems too tall. I wish I could enjoy it because the other non gameplay elements really excite me.

Put covering on R1, Tackle on X and teammate pressure on square.

And to answer the topic, I'm not overly impressed by either demo, I can't seem to look past each games faults.

So, I will buy NBA 2K12, and think about football later, maybe after playing the retail versions at mates.

I think both of them are good. I will end up buying PES (because i'm used to it i guess and because of the individuality of the players), and maybe FIFA. I liked the FIFA demo, but i have only played it twice, PES three times. The reason? My kids are constantly playing both demo's...

My 8 year old son prefers FIFA (people might think i write this because i want to "belitle" FIFA, this is far from true...he knows his football exceptionally well).

My 11 year old daughter prefers PES.

Last year i only bought PES and i have played it excessively with my kids: against my son and together with my daughter, a league with her beloved Chelsea (and the game was absolutely horrible with 2 players on the same team...a real disgrace...but she loves it and i'm fond of our games).

I hope everybody here enjoys his (or hers?) favourite game.

If only the Pes demo was slower like the Fifa demo - it's way too hectic imo! Visuals apart I prefer Pes but if the final version has blurry visuals during gameplay I might have to go with Fifa for the first time in my life.

If only the Pes demo was slower like the Fifa demo - it's way too hectic imo! Visuals apart I prefer Pes but if the final version has blurry visuals during gameplay I might have to go with Fifa for the first time in my life.
you can adjust the game speed of PES plus IMO fifa is faster then PES imo

Put covering on R1, Tackle on X and teammate pressure on square.

And to answer the topic, I'm not overly impressed by either demo, I can't seem to look past each games faults.

So, I will buy NBA 2K12, and think about football later, maybe after playing the retail versions at mates.

I heard that controls online HAVE to be default though. Anyone know if that's true?

FIFA 12 for me this year. PES felt clunky and awkward to say the least. FIFA just feels so fluid and polished. A hands down winner in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom