FIFA 11 Demo Issues...

FIFA11 Demo compared to FIFA 10...

• FIFA 11 Demo is noticeably better than FIFA 10...

Votes: 55 61.8%
  • FIFA 11 Demo is a little better than FIFA 10...

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • FIFA 11 is FIFA 10.. Isn't it?...

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@ Max,

Agree that 360 should be kept. However I think today's tech doesn't have the strenght to calculate both 360 movement and solid footplanting. Just imagine all the calculations needed for one, let alone both linked to another system to provide inertia! My perspective, somewhat clouded by d-pad, is that if I had the choice between 32 angles of movement combined with EA transition tech with solid footplanting.......or 360 angles of movement without footplanting I would always choose the former. I really don't think the grey area between 0 and 11,25dr will be noticable with FIFA animations in combination with the defensive system present (i.e. just run towards a player and auto tackle). There isn't much subtlety to evading defensive plays so whether you move 5dr or 10dr it won't have an impact with regard to ball possesion. That's why in it's current form I would expect the 32 angles to be mroe then sufficient. With the transitions aswell I'm would be confident that you wouldn't be able to notice in FIFA. I'm only talking about movement now, not passing or shooting. Ofcourse the optimum would have both, but I think that will be a next gen feature.

But it's a pointless discussion as 360 is present and they need to catch up with foot planting. But in hindsight I know what my choice would be.

I just wish the PS3 sticks had more spring in there, they are always too soft for me I want more inertia in there...

Absolutely - just feels a little too loose. Really, if they just made a larger version of it I'd probably love it. Hopefully by next gen the console makers will have realized both kids and adults are playing buying there systems, so maybe they'll actually consider that when designing their controls - and if they're smart they'd come out with more than one version. I actually recently purchased one of the most recent PS3 3rd party controllers - it's one of the ones that is meant to duplicate the 360 controller - but the quality isn't what you'd expect for the price.

@ Max,

Agree that 360 should be kept. However I think today's tech doesn't have the strenght to calculate both 360 movement and solid footplanting. Just imagine all the calculations needed for one, let alone both linked to another system to provide inertia!

I don't know jack about the tech that goes into making these games, so maybe you're right. If that's the case, I'd love for Seabass to come out and say "if we added anymore freedom in movement it would without a doubt come at the expense of other features that are integral to our gameplay." Until we know that to be the case, I can only consider the ultimate goal to be effectively combining both, and so I'll see it as a fault when one game fails to do so. I could be wrong but my impression is that based upon the latest improvements in each game, what I just stated is the goal of both games, only they are coming from opposite directions. No?

My perspective, somewhat clouded by d-pad, is that if I had the choice between 32 angles of movement combined with EA transition tech with solid footplanting.......or 360 angles of movement without footplanting I would always choose the former. I really don't think the grey area between 0 and 11,25dr will be noticable with FIFA animations in combination with the defensive system present (i.e. just run towards a player and auto tackle). There isn't much subtlety to evading defensive plays so whether you move 5dr or 10dr it won't have an impact with regard to ball possesion. That's why in it's current form I would expect the 32 angles to be mroe then sufficient. With the transitions aswell I'm would be confident that you wouldn't be able to notice in FIFA. I'm only talking about movement now, not passing or shooting. Ofcourse the optimum would have both, but I think that will be a next gen feature.

But it's a pointless discussion as 360 is present and they need to catch up with foot planting. But in hindsight I know what my choice would be.

See, I don't know what that refers to - "EA transition tech"? Are you talking about essentially taking the system that is in PES and combining that with the smoothness of FIFA's animations, so that it gives the visual impression of freedom of movement? If that's the case, then maybe that's also what I'd like to see as well. Again, some of these terms fly over my head.

In regards to the defensive system, at the moment one of my biggest gripes is the relationship between defenders and dribblers, more specifically I feel that the defense system is far too easy and simple, while the dribbling mechanics are poor when it comes to basic evasion. Like you said, because of how they are at the moment, 360 degree movement is probably overkill. But I would suggest I'd like to see them advance, to take better advantage of 360 movement. Does that make any sense?

That's pretty much my point, with the level of animations FIFA has, especially the smoothness with which they combine (transition tech) I would guess that if they only had 32 angles of movement it would still feel and look like 360. That is what is making PES feel clunky, they just don't have the transitions or amount of animations like FIFA which makes it look clunkly but if you look at the angles they can move in it's not very far off FIFA. ( I separate animation and transitions with animations being for example the kicking animation / tackle animation / etc and transitions being what combines them all together.)

FIFA09 imo had a good balance, very smooth animations but it was still 16? directions. Now double that, but keep the footplanting and the players have a really good sense of weight.

The only issues i see are the awful handballs

You can see why its off by default because its obviously just a test run to see if it works which it doesn't

Its going be hard to get proper handball decisions in the game and the minute it just calls fouls every time it hits a hand

I'm getting shit loads of penalty's and handballs called off blocks, deflections and people falling over onto it

Get crosses into the box and shoot from range and you will see how often you get them

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of handball calls, I'm just pointing out it's not every time as I've seen numerous occasions of it hitting the hand and not being called ;)

There probably are too many penalties given for handball, especially when striking a free kick that hits the wall (one time the ball didn't even hit the hand it hit an invisible wall 2 inches off the hand) but I really don't have an issue with it as I'll be playing CM and really there aren't enough free kicks/penalties throughout the course of a season, so harsh or not I welcome the extra additions, sure I'll swear if I lose a match because of a soft handball penalty but that's football ;)

- First touch almost non existent

- Stats not that effective

- Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement

Stats are more effective this year . Run with the ball(ball control) - look at Ivanovic/Alex and Lampard - huge difference . Also speed , fight in the air , slide tackle (Defenders),passing and strength are much more visible than last year.Is still much to do but is definitely better.

I think so too

Ariel battles especially defenders giving there all to win headers is brilliant as is the slide tackling

Also try Lampard in Fifa 10 then go to 11 and try him, the difference is massive

- First touch almost non existent

- Stats not that effective

- Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement

First touch almost non existent - could you explain? Because if you mean there's not enough variety in quality of first touch, as someone very experienced with FIFA the last few years I can assure you there's a pretty big change, for the better. Does FIFA do it as well as PES? Absolutely not. But saying it's almost non existent is a tad harsh IMO. What bothers me most is how sometimes players like Fabregas will have moments of perfect magnetic ball control, but there certainly is variety and I've witnessed some horrible first touches (for some reason first touch near the touchlines still is unusually poor - very difficult to save balls heading out of bounds.).

Stats not that effective? Again same as above - I'm seeing a pretty big change but not enough and still lagging behind PES. For example, Pique is much different than last year - more cumbersome and poor with the ball than before - but the difference between him and skilled players still isn't as great as in PES, although I kinda feel he's a bit too cumbersome and slow in PES. Again, it's subjective and coming from PES you'd notice this more while when trying PES for the first time in years I notice the fewer animations and lack of freedom in PES compared with FIFA.

Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement - it's interesting but I don't really see problems in FIFA movement animations, I think they're one of the games strengths. Where I see the problem lies in Fifa's failure to include inertia, foot planting and proper weighting. Funny enough I might suggest your bullet-point applies just as much to PES as it does FIFA. In PES some players can turn on a dime, which I actually love because you can avoid defenders with a simple brag back and turn just like we see Xavi do all the time IRL. The problem I have with PES is that while it gets footplanting inertia etc right, the movement is a bit too sharp and I think someone said that's cause PES still lacks some transition animations. I think this is why PES feels clunky after playing FIFA.

Ariel battles especially defenders giving there all to win headers is brilliant as is the slide tackling

I still haven't noticed much change to ariel battles. The new tackling animations are awesome but they just add to tackling being too easy and effective.

A minor gripe to add... cutscenes.

That new one, where it brings up a player's 'Distance Travelled' statistic, with about 4 or 5 players from the same team bunched together, looks ridiculous.

I've seen substitution cutscenes at half time, where there'll be players from both teams down one end of the field (as if the game was still going.)

A minor gripe to add... cutscenes.

That new one, where it brings up a player's 'Distance Travelled' statistic, with about 4 or 5 players from the same team bunched together, looks ridiculous.

I've seen substitution cutscenes at half time, where there'll be players from both teams down one end of the field (as if the game was still going.)

I fully expect this to be different in the final release - cutscenes are HORRIBLE!

Also, isn't every cutscene always focused on the wrong player? Like the single player passing stat graphics not being matched up with the right player.

First touch almost non existent - could you explain? Because if you mean there's not enough variety in quality of first touch, as someone very experienced with FIFA the last few years I can assure you there's a pretty big change, for the better. Does FIFA do it as well as PES? Absolutely not. But saying it's almost non existent is a tad harsh IMO. What bothers me most is how sometimes players like Fabregas will have moments of perfect magnetic ball control, but there certainly is variety and I've witnessed some horrible first touches (for some reason first touch near the touchlines still is unusually poor - very difficult to save balls heading out of bounds.).

Stats not that effective? Again same as above - I'm seeing a pretty big change but not enough and still lagging behind PES. For example, Pique is much different than last year - more cumbersome and poor with the ball than before - but the difference between him and skilled players still isn't as great as in PES, although I kinda feel he's a bit too cumbersome and slow in PES. Again, it's subjective and coming from PES you'd notice this more while when trying PES for the first time in years I notice the fewer animations and lack of freedom in PES compared with FIFA.

Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement - it's interesting but I don't really see problems in FIFA movement animations, I think they're one of the games strengths. Where I see the problem lies in Fifa's failure to include inertia, foot planting and proper weighting. Funny enough I might suggest your bullet-point applies just as much to PES as it does FIFA. In PES some players can turn on a dime, which I actually love because you can avoid defenders with a simple brag back and turn just like we see Xavi do all the time IRL. The problem I have with PES is that while it gets footplanting inertia etc right, the movement is a bit too sharp and I think someone said that's cause PES still lacks some transition animations. I think this is why PES feels clunky after playing FIFA.

I still haven't noticed much change to ariel battles. The new tackling animations are awesome but they just add to tackling being too easy and effective.

- First touch almost non existent:
That's pretty obvious. Every player has amazing first touch no matter the situation, from the keeper to the striker. I've rarely seen any, that's why I've said "almost", but it surely is bad imo. Only because they've slightly, barely improved it doesn't mean its improved. It's really bad.

- Stats not that effective:
Again, just because Fifa is shit at using stats and they've slightly improved it, or even used their newly promoted P+ doesn't mean it's improved for me. I don't think there's much difference between any player, sorry. I can barely differentiate between them.

- Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement:
Super quick turning for each and every player with no momentum whatsoever is murder. People complaining about PES's clunkiness, comparing it Fifa's ultra smooth and quick responses, I don't agree. Fifa is only quick because they dropped the transition element like every player has no weight. I don't like how they move with the ball and twist and turn the way they do here. In PES, when using a light-weight or quick player, he can turn on a dime, but still much better than the way Fifa does it, because you still feel the weight, and the transition. Whereas in Fifa, they're all feather-weights.

- First touch almost non existent:
That's pretty obvious. Every player has amazing first touch no matter the situation, from the keeper to the striker. I've rarely seen any, that's why I've said "almost", but it surely is bad imo. Only because they've slightly, barely improved it doesn't mean its improved. It's really bad.

- Stats not that effective:
Again, just because Fifa is shit at using stats and they've slightly improved it, or even used their newly promoted P+ doesn't mean it's improved for me. I don't think there's much difference between any player, sorry. I can barely differentiate between them.

- Super quick turning with almost no transition in movement:
Super quick turning for each and every player with no momentum whatsoever is murder. People complaining about PES's clunkiness, comparing it Fifa's ultra smooth and quick responses, I don't agree. Fifa is only quick because they dropped the transition element like every player has no weight. I don't like how they move with the ball and twist and turn the way they do here. In PES, when using a light-weight or quick player, he can turn on a dime, but still much better than the way Fifa does it, because you still feel the weight, and the transition. Whereas in Fifa, they're all feather-weights.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so we'll need to agree to disagree - for me first touch has gone from shit to just okay while individuality has gone from non-existent to pretty decent. Improvements don't happen over night or in one year but IMO FIFA has made noticeable progress. Yeah movement isn't as realistic as it could be but it doesn't bother me like it once did. Both games have their shortcomings which you have to look beyond to enjoy, I suppose it's too bad FIFA's faults are such deal-breakers for you. There's always next year right?

1- Shooting (from short range) has very narrow angle horizontally and need to be fixed as in PES. I feel less satisfied when I score with this Narrow shooting system like there is no difference or surprise

2- Tactics and Formations aren't that good, free and savable as in PES (I hope I am wrong when the full game is released)

Back
Top Bottom