FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

Yep, I'm beginning to get peed off with the lack of effort again in the game, it's almost as if things are there but just not implemented in any way that seems blatantly obvious to most people... :RANT:

For example player transfers, there's no list of transfers done by AI teams, anywhere, how fucked up is that? All it neeads is an entry in that Talksport menu with "transfers"......

It's bad enough that to scroll through the 5 news items on the front menu you have to go to talksport/news, why can't you just press B or such to scroll the 5 news items as you could in the world cup game?

Yep, I'm beginning to get peed off with the lack of effort again in the game, it's almost as if things are there but just not implemented in any way that seems blatantly obvious to most people... :RANT:

In so many ways this is far better than MM, or at least the new visual lay out give the illusion of massive improvement, but sometimes I wonder whether Marcel is the ONLY guy working on this mode. It's one thing to not have features like the scout or manual player development, but how much effort does it take to list the AI transfers in the game? If you're going to add info on other leagues, transfer info seems like a no brainer.

Question: is it correct that if I jump ahead in the calendar to my next match without playing out each and every day I can miss messages - for example I could've sworn I never received emails telling me players rejected my transfer offers?

Yeah I think so Max because I once had 2 players who I had agreed feeds with their respective clubs, apparently reject me and I say apparently because I didn't receive any emails about them and that is the ONLY time I simmed to a particular date instead of pressing just 'advance'.

So My guess is, yes.

@Paul, yeah I found it weird too that there is no way to check the list of transfers that have been done! Very weird.

Still enjoying this very much though and am now 7 games into the season.

Scored a historic narrow 1-0 win away from home against Anderlecht playing defensive and counter-attack and got a little lucky!

Then got thrashed at home 3-0 by table toppers Standard Liege who are on fire! Defour, Witsel, Tchite and co. were just too much to handle and too sharp, skillful and quick for my team.

Do you not get substituted at all on Career Mode as a player?

My guy literally ends each match with no stamina and they never take him off. Annoying.

No, you don't.

Neither do you get subbed on.

They could make BAP mode so much better in future years if they wanted.

Imagine how cool it'd be if you were an up and coming youth striker who the manager tells to warm up around 70th minute, to make a cameo appearance and as the club's senior star striker gets subbed off, you get your chance to shine! You go in, get one chance and put it away and seal the 3 points for your team! Then maybe you get to start next match or maybe not....

They should definitely add this stuff in later.

All the things you could do in FIFA10 like level up your stamina, the stadium, your coaching stuff, ticket prices etc. Now i can do tranfers and what else?

All the things you could do in FIFA10 like level up your stamina, the stadium, your coaching stuff, ticket prices etc. Now i can do tranfers and what else?

It's all gone. It's basically like creating a custom tournament with nice menus and a transfer system. Sounds like quite a few people didn't realize how stripped-down the mode was going to be this year.

Don't know if you played the WC game but the menus and visual makeover was already there for the WC game so it's kinda hard to see where all the effort went in the last year.

There's not much there but what is there should be a good platform to build on next year, for what it's worth.

Re the AI transferlist.

Maybe they got rid of it so you don't have to see the same player transfer every bloody window. I'm pretty sure I was seeing the same player moving to the same clubs in both the summer and winter transfer window. I guess they, probably Marcel and his pet cat, didn't get round to fixing it.

There's not much there but what is there should be a good platform to build on next year, for what it's worth.

I think it's save to say that quite a few of us won't find out. :(

Last edited:
I didn't know they stripped all this things down. It's disappointing. I mean, really, where is the manager part in CM now?

The most important and fun part "making your players better especially the very young player" are gone now. This part was already shit last year and i was sure they would improve it this time.

I would love to have a practice-mode in CM where i can practice freekicks (already there in the arena), penaltys (already there in the arena), headers etc. Making Practice-Games to train the team so they can slowly improve playing together as a team (team ability improved with every practice match). And every single practice session should have an impact (players slowly get better and better).

We have seen some of this in PES and it was great. It should be optional of course so you could choose to do it by yourself or let the CPU do it for you.

I don't see a lot of reasons playing CM now. The new transfer-system is really good and a useful improvement but after the transfer-window is closed there is nothing more do to from a manager point of view. Of course you need to play every week but without player changing shape (last year this arrow system was shit too - so cut it and don't give them anything else?) you will play the same 11 players every week. The best players of course and there is no logical reason to play the young ones.

And what are you going to do with the money you earn over the years (are you getting money or is it canceled too?)? No better and bigger stadium, no bigger stuff, nothing?

That is shit, really. It is a league-mode and not a manager mode anymore. It will be boring after the first season because you can do nothing beside playing week in and week out.

I'm not going to play CM any longer. I will play league-mode instead. 24 leagues? That should be more fun.

Last edited:
I'm so disappointed right now i don't think i will touch CM again. I don't care for a career history as long as it is so unambitious (if this is the right word?).

I do understand your disappointment when things get taken out and not replaced, and you're right, it is a very shallow mode... but really, what gameplay value did the above actually offer? A few arbitrary sliders to sink your money into just to watch a number go from three to ten? They didn't do anything worthwhile, as far as I could tell. I couldn't notice any difference whether I set my ticket price to low or high. It all seemed like empty, abstract fluff.

Of course, EA should actually have fixed the Form system by writing a version that worked properly, but they claim they didn't have enough time to do it justice this year. I'd rather not have Form at all than suffer it in a broken way like last year.

Players still accumulate XP and have growth don't they? So I'm guessing there's still a reason to play your young players.

I completely agree that the career mode needs to be fleshed out and could easily be so much deeper with just a few relatively-simple additions and a bit of care applied to it, but personally I don't imagine I'll miss those FIFA10 things you mentioned (in the poor state that they were).

They monumentally screwed up last year and had to hit the reset button... at least, fingers crossed, we might have a stable platform now for some nice additions next year.

You are right nerf. It was poor work last year. But that is exactly the reason i was expecting more this year. It get better from version to version normally.

But this time they have taken 3 steps back and just cut out everything without replacing it. For a manager (or career ) mode this is a joke because there is nothing to manage anymore. Even the growth of the player is not in my hand. It wasn't last year either (just a very, very little) but it should be better after a year of development.

I know, you feel the same as you mention. But i would rather have some poor options than none. Even if it is just for the feel of it (and some options like level up stamina works last year).

Next Year is maybe to late because i will be playing the other one (if it improved well enough).

Last edited:
I do understand your disappointment when things get taken out and not replaced, and you're right, it is a very shallow mode... but really, what gameplay value did the above actually offer? A few arbitrary sliders to sink your money into just to watch a number go from three to ten? They didn't do anything worthwhile, as far as I could tell. I couldn't notice any difference whether I set my ticket price to low or high. It all seemed like empty, abstract fluff.

Of course, EA should actually have fixed the Form system by writing a version that worked properly, but they claim they didn't have enough time to do it justice this year. I'd rather not have Form at all than suffer it in a broken way like last year.

Players still accumulate XP and have growth don't they? So I'm guessing there's still a reason to play your young players.

I completely agree that the career mode needs to be fleshed out and could easily be so much deeper with just a few relatively-simple additions and a bit of care applied to it, but personally I don't imagine I'll miss those FIFA10 things you mentioned (in the poor state that they were).

They monumentally screwed up last year and had to hit the reset button... at least, fingers crossed, we might have a stable platform now for some nice additions next year.

Agreed. Football Manager it isn't, but as an escape from reality and a way of playing the games and making signings etc, it's spot on.

I think it's fair to say I try to put on a positive outlook and make the best of manager mode because that's the mode I prefer to play, and yes I'm currently very much enjoying my career mode in Fifa11, however, whilst I can understand why the "completely new engine" has required some tertiary things to be removed such as staff updates and scouting missions etc. I don't understand why they have removed the I in AI? Three examples:

• [*]1. AI teams don't change formation against you, ever, no matter if you're winning 5-0 after 40 mins (as I have been) I've never, ever seen them change formation, has anyone?

[*]2. AI teams don't rotate their lineups based on opposition strength or fitness:
    1. I played in the league cup against Wigan and they fielded their first team, against League 1 Sheffield Wednesday that's not realistic
    2. I just played against Carlisle 3-4 days after we both played JPT matches, I rotated my squad obviously as many were tired, they played their regular squad which meant that some players started the match at barely 20% stamina (or 80% fatigued whichever way you want to look at it).

Both of the above were in Fifa10 and worked correctly in Fifa10, despite the fact that Fifa10's manager mode was monumentally, fundamentally broken in just about every single way imaginable, if it was possible in 10 why has this opposition AI been removed?

The above 1 and 2 are based on about 20 matches of career mode, obviously if anyone has noticed anything to contradict these comments I would love to hear from you because this is one area I would be delighted to be proven wrong as I worry about the long term enjoyment (yet again) of a career mode which despite all the boasts about being completely new and fresh and blah blah has major flaws, yet again.

Just posted the above on the EA forums as well: Where has the "I" in Fifa11's Career Mode "AI" gone? would be nice if some of you from here could share your opinions in there before it's overrun which 12 year olds saying their usual "y cry abut it????/"

Really disappointed by this mode. :(

Playing as my VP and the AI on my team is absolutely terrible.

Try this, let me know if it works...
cem_ea_id.KL0k said:
just for your information guys:

it seems that switching pass power assistance ON will fix the problems with the own team AI not passing nor shooting while playing the careermode as a player. first i thought it might be the difficulty level - but after a few guys here testing those theories, it looks like the AI cant handle it if you turn that feature off.

I think it's fair to say I try to put on a positive outlook and make the best of manager mode because that's the mode I prefer to play, and yes I'm currently very much enjoying my career mode in Fifa11, however, whilst I can understand why the "completely new engine" has required some tertiary things to be removed such as staff updates and scouting missions etc. I don't understand why they have removed the I in AI? Three examples:

• [*]1. AI teams don't change formation against you, ever, no matter if you're winning 5-0 after 40 mins (as I have been) I've never, ever seen them change formation, has anyone?

[*]2. AI teams don't rotate their lineups based on opposition strength or fitness:
    1. I played in the league cup against Wigan and they fielded their first team, against League 1 Sheffield Wednesday that's not realistic
    2. I just played against Carlisle 3-4 days after we both played JPT matches, I rotated my squad obviously as many were tired, they played their regular squad which meant that some players started the match at barely 20% stamina (or 80% fatigued whichever way you want to look at it).

Both of the above were in Fifa10 and worked correctly in Fifa10, despite the fact that Fifa10's manager mode was monumentally, fundamentally broken in just about every single way imaginable, if it was possible in 10 why has this opposition AI been removed?
Were they not the same in 10, they never changed tactic or squads that I recall?..

It does seem FIFA 11 CM has been a little half ass-ed this year, the longer you get the more you see they have really just done the minimum in areas...:CONFUSE:

Ok I'll give that a go.

Any chance that'll make them actually sprint though? I swear they never do when you play them through one-on-one.

Were they not the same in 10, they never changed tactic or squads that I recall?..

It does seem FIFA 11 CM has been a little half ass-ed this year, the longer you get the more you see they have really just done the minimum in areas...:CONFUSE:

No they definitely changed formations in 10 to put more forwards on if they were losing and they rotated to take out tired players in 10 as well.

Yeah as a player only in CM, it gets kinda boring and frustrating that your team never rotates players... How do you become a player-manager???

Sadly I don't think I will be in the first 11 for much longer, the rating system is very harsh!

Try this, let me know if it works...

Wow, this totally saved my CM.

As Aston Villa, we just won 3-0 vs Blackpool

Things I noticed...

AI Passes sooo much better
Takes lots more shots
Uses sprint more often

Pretty much totally fixed all my isses.

Found a nifty way to get more injuries!

Basically when a player gets a minor injury in a match i.e. one where he will eventually run it off DONT LET HIM. Substitute him (pretend its worse) and at the end of the match it will register as an injury - my CDM got one of these minor injuries (has a little plaster sign), I substituted him and now he's out for 16 days!

Pretty cool find, although not so cool that it came in my last pre-season friendly so now the powerhouse of my team is out for the season opener!

Back
Top Bottom