FIFA 11 Career Mode Thread PS3/360

I've now got 88mil in the bank... But I only do the FSG method and pay a lot for potential (although I've still got mostly the current team playing).

I've been pleased, a lot of the time they seem to over pay slightly (1mil more for example on a 5/7 mil player). However I've been so glad to just get rid of them that I haven't bothered trying to get the AI to up their bids. The overway round though it's been quite amusing. I think I had it with A. Young; 22mil pricetag so I started off with 18mil, no deal, then went 20mil, no deal, then went 19mil and they put their asking price up out of annoyance. Ended up paying 23mil in the end. :D

I noticed when I played CM that when I made a bid for Rodwell at Everton, they rejected three increased bids up to something like £8 million, then went and sold him to Aston Villa for £4 million.

Bugs, bugs, bugs.

I've not been on this thread for a long long time as I defected to PES this year but the cracks have really started to appear in the gameplay - I've become so disillusioned by the general stiltedness and scripting from an ML perspective that I'm looking at picking up FIFA 11 as I have to have a footy game on the go! My question is, as somebody who loves the single player side of things - what's the general consensus on Career Mode? Is it an improvement on FIFA 10's awful MM tripe? I get the impression scanning through this thread that Marcel has given us another turd in the punchbowl, but have the patches improved things? I don't want to start a long dead argument or anything, but I would appreciate anybody's concise conclusions with positives and negatives (I don't ask for much do I?)

It's better than 10 but not much, some things have been dropped and very little added to be honest. The front end is a bit better and things like the transfers work better..

Look at it as a 10.4 rather than 11... :P

Finally won a Prem title with Leeds United, picked up 3 Manager of the month's and the Manager of the season award too..

I was a little dismayed as I only got £17M and £30K wage to push on with a very ageing squad, I have 10 players over 30 and only 3 under 27 from a tiny 21 man squad...

I think they realise you're just a crap manager Nick! In a Hodgson mould! They see you can't develope a team without going Mourinho on them :P

How do you see the manager awards? Do they come in the newspage or do you have to go looking in your stats?

@ Scousegit;

I'm enjoying it again, after being totally put off by it 2 weeks after release. The whole managementside is weak again, although I haven't come across as many stupid aspects/bugs as in 10.

Gameplaywise I have had to adjust my normal playing style, normally more Rafa-esque and quite conservative. It was terrible to play that way, the AI defense is just too strong meaning you get nowhere. So I changed it up and am playing a far more attacking formation (3-1-4-2) and that has made quite a difference. Have had some cracking games because of it (like the 2008/2009 Liverpool season), goalsfest but also frustrating 0-0 but score or concede in the last minute. The league table has so far looked really solid with team placings.

But essentialy the game is nothing more then a basic leaguemode with some news items from other leagues and a, imo, decent transfersystem. And that based on a pretty limited gameplay style (as playing anything other then attacking has frustrated me to tears).

I think they realise you're just a crap manager Nick! In a Hodgson mould! They see you can't develope a team without going Mourinho on them :P
:LOL:

How do you see the manager awards? Do they come in the newspage or do you have to go looking in your stats?

You get the crappy email and just a little news blurb, there is no presentation, not even for the Manager of the season... :(

At least on PES ML you have those cheesy in-game graphic of players holding things up. Hah

Those messages you get are so tedious as well from your staff. Use 'Steven McLovin' as he shows potential. You look at his stats and hes a 24 year old 64 Centre back in the reserves. Would love to be able to sack the guys who keep messaging me like in Football manager!

The worst message is the one when you rest your players and you get an email saying you never play someone who's actually already played 30 matches and just missing this one match, that's just extremely shoddy game design.

I had something similar, Rio Ferdinand got injured for months, so Evans stepped up and played around 20 consecutive matches. Anyways he missed one match because I rested him as his stamina was low leading up to the game, then I get a message saying he's not happy at being given no chances in the team.......though come to think of it, that sounds like something Balotelli would probably say down the road, he's that barking mad.

Started my new season, tough start. First few games were; Newcastle (H, 2-1), Utd (A,2-1), City (H, 1-0), Ars (A,2-2).

Still haven't managed to get rid of Torres and Gerrard. Did sell Maxi for 7mil :D
Bought a couple of young stars, Hazard (15mil) and Lukaku (10mil) and signed a 17 y.o. from Bayern on a year-loan (Windersloot? CDM). Wanted to buy him, but you don't get the option apparently if he has been put up for a loan.

Started my new season, tough start. First few games were; Newcastle (H, 2-1), Utd (A,2-1), City (H, 1-0), Ars (A,2-2).

Still haven't managed to get rid of Torres and Gerrard. Did sell Maxi for 7mil :D
Bought a couple of young stars, Hazard (15mil) and Lukaku (10mil) and signed a 17 y.o. from Bayern on a year-loan (Windersloot? CDM). Wanted to buy him, but you don't get the option apparently if he has been put up for a loan.

Get used to never being able to buy that loan player, from my experience if a team lists them for loan, they play out the rest of their career with that status. Why oh why can't you make a bid to buy loan players?!

I'm amazed more people haven't complained about this bug before, it does't seem to bother many. But for me, it completely ruined the whole game mode. I wanted to sign most of the top young English players and develop them into a long term squad, but 99% of them were permantently unable to sign because they are listed for loan by their parent clubs when the game starts. Then I tried to sign the likes of Ozil or Joe Cole and the game denies you signing them because they've 'just moved clubs' even 2 or 3 seasons in. You then get turned down for a transfer on that basis, then days later another rival club comes in and just buys them.....grrrr.....

Last edited:
Get used to never being able to buy that loan player, from my experience if a team lists them for loan, they play out the rest of their career with that status. Why oh why can't you make a bid to buy loan players?!

I'm amazed more people haven't complained about this bug before, it does't seem to bother many. But for me, it completely ruined the whole game mode. I wanted to sign most of the top young English players and develop them into a long term squad, but 99% of them were permantently unable to sign because they are listed for loan by their parent clubs when the game starts. Then I tried to sign the likes of Ozil or Joe Cole and the game denies you signing them because they've 'just moved clubs' even 2 or 3 seasons in. You then get turned down for a transfer on that basis, then days later another rival club comes in and just buys them.....grrrr.....

Try this and let me know if it works, I'm trying it in the next window!...

1) Go to transfer market on Career Mode: Manager
2) On Status, change it to 'For Loan'
3) Choose a player and do a bid
4) Go and retract the player offer on 'Negotiations'
5) Click on the player again - you must be at negotiations
6) The transfer value of his will be '000000000' change it to his actual value, but to play it safe, add a few 100k.

Played some more last night, the next prem match I had was at home against Chelsea (last season's champions). So within the first 5 matches of the season I've played the whole top 5 of last season! Ended up a 1-1 draw, so the results are pretty accurate, but it's still a bit annoying.

Oh and that young midfielder is Zuiverloon. Are they still randomly generated? If not he is definitly worth a signing.

Played some more last night, the next prem match I had was at home against Chelsea (last season's champions). So within the first 5 matches of the season I've played the whole top 5 of last season! Ended up a 1-1 draw, so the results are pretty accurate, but it's still a bit annoying.

Oh and that young midfielder is Zuiverloon. Are they still randomly generated? If not he is definitly worth a signing.

There are also re-gen's on retirement and as I always have poor funds it's worth buying old stars as they are just wages with minimal transfer fee, so a bit of juggling can get you an ageing star for a season and then their re-gen who are usually good...

Yup I've discovered that old fogey trick as well, you can get some really good 70+ players for about 50-150k, get at least one good season out of them then get a regen worth about 700k+ to sell the following season.

During the August transfer window it's definitely worth remembering to check the free transfer pool every day as often some good free transfers will be available after the season has started, I just found Josh McEachran released by Chelsea in the 2nd week of the new season so snapped him up, shame that as he's only 18 he won't develop a single attribute point for 3 seasons, fucking inept career mode designers :( I've also seen Rafael released on a free in the 2nd week of the transfer window.

If the game changers have already given up then I fear for my expectations of the series :( Hasn't Simon Humber been in touch to find out how they can remedy the last two abominations of MM/CM? I guess it was too much to hope for that his "hiring" as offline producer would be something actually meaningful.

And just remember that Fifa12 is the 3rd year of David Rutter's "3 year plan for manager mode" :(

If the game changers have already given up then I fear for my expectations of the series :( Hasn't Simon Humber been in touch to find out how they can remedy the last two abominations of MM/CM? I guess it was too much to hope for that his "hiring" as offline producer would be something actually meaningful.

And just remember that Fifa12 is the 3rd year of David Rutter's "3 year plan for manager mode" :(

Ah yes, the three year plan......

The way career/manager mode has been progressing, expect FIFA 12 to spontaneously combust when you click on 'start new career' in the options screen. It's the natural progression.

Try this and let me know if it works, I'm trying it in the next window!...

1) Go to transfer market on Career Mode: Manager
2) On Status, change it to 'For Loan'
3) Choose a player and do a bid
4) Go and retract the player offer on 'Negotiations'
5) Click on the player again - you must be at negotiations
6) The transfer value of his will be '000000000' change it to his actual value, but to play it safe, add a few 100k.

To be fair you'll most likely be able to try this way before I will, let me know if it works! I'll definitely give this a try if I manage to get to the transfer window before rage quitting the game......;)

I may sound a bit stupid here, but what do you mean by changing status to 'for loan'? Aren't these for players you're trying to buy? If so you can't change their status?

They're full of shit then, or I did something wrong? Don't see how though, when it comes to agreeing terms with the player the contract negotiation is the usual loan contract one :(

I'm in my 3rd season now, just got into the Premier league by winning the playoff final beating Portsmouth, I play a 451 and plan to continue that in the Prem with it being so much tougher, I used Gary Madine for the last two seasons but figure he's not up to Prem football yet so decided to spend my whole transfer budget on Peter Crouch with him being the ultimate target man and someone I'm a fan of, my negotiations with Spurs went something like this:

Crouch's Value = £7.2m

Me: I'll give you £7.2m for Peter
Harry: No way me old mucker, we want £7.9m for the lanky jughead
Me: Ok then I'll give you £7.6m for Peter
Harry: Well would you Adam and Eve it ducky, I meant to say we want £8.4m for him
Me: Hmm damn that's a shame, ok how about £7.9m for him?
Harry: £7.9? 7 point 9? Are you having a giraffe? Did I come down in the last shower? We want £10.2m for Peter and that's a bargain.
Me: Bloody hell you drive a hard bargain, tell you what I can go to £8.4m?
Harry: We want £7.9m for Peter and not a penny more!
Me: Errr WTF? You want less than my last bid? Err well ok fine £7.9m it is, sweet!
Harry: This is a waste of my time we're never going to agree terms, I'm not some fucking wheeler dealer you know, stop contacting me you can't buy him now.
Me: Errrr.....

So I ended up with the Austrian flop Maierhoffer instead for £1.4m :(

Back
Top Bottom