Favourite players from your club that others may have forgottern about

DIRTY SOUTH

Conference
3 March 2009
DURRTY SOUTH
CABJ (BOCA)
It'd be nice to relive some of the past glories from your favourite players that were at your club.
You can go back as far as you like i guess - maybe even let us know why you liked them so much. maybe even post a picture of them. Or you can mix it up and give us some players you actually hated and wished that they had never pulled on your clubs shirt.

Since im a bit busier today i'll start just by listing some of my favourite players - myabe ad some pics and what not in time.

Does anyone else remember these guys?

Oscar Cordoba

Jorge Bermúdez

Mauricio Serna

Diego Cagna

Guillermo Barros Schelotto

Marcelo Delgado

Martin Palermo (still here)

Well, there's some to be honest.. But among the ones that some may have forgotten, there's Martin Laursen for sure.
I don't even know why I remember him this good, the only thing I know it's that for sure he was way better than Roque Junior..

Another player that I regard being good though not being that famous is Andres "Guly" Guglielminpietro. Those were the days when we actually were dangerous on aerial attacks, and this guy (despite not being rated that high) sent in several good balls to Bierhoff to smash home..

Quite a bit of players jump to my mind.

Alexander Zickler - my favorite player when I started watching football.
He and Klinsmann seemed like the ideal duo up front. Unfortunately Klinsmann left a year later and Zicklers struggle with his many injuries began.

Oliver Kreuzer - very solid defender who just happened to play in a period where there were a good few amazing central defenders in Germany. Kohler, Sammer, Babbel, Helmer and even Matthäus often played this part in classy manner. This day and age a guy like Kreuzer would always start in internationals!

Michael Tarnat, Thorsten Fink - those two were transferred from Karlsruhe almost simultaneously and I remember well that the initial thought about them was: "They'll be bench warmers for sure". In fact they became regular starters and, despite being no spectacular players, always performed when it mattered most.

Mario Basler - a true genius on the right flank. Nowadays it is often said that there should be more characters like Basler in football. While I agree that it was always fun and joy to have a gifted and raw player in the team ... where did the road end for him? Successful he was, quite a bit, yeah. But he could've done so much more if it hadn't been for his temper and escapades.

A few players from the Belgian competition.

Juan Lozano: ended up playing for Real Madrid. Should have played for the Belgian team at a time we had a very good team.

Asgeir Sigurvinsson: superb Icelandic playmaker who played for Standard and afterwards played for Bayern Munich. One of the best players i ever saw.

Andre Cruz: Brazilian sweeper who also played for Standard. Great flair player, he ende up playing in Italy.

Tomaszewski: Polish goalkeeper who almost singlehandedly eliminated England for the 1974 WC. English football journalists still call himl "the clown". I don't understand that, he was a very good goalkeeper. Afterwards he played (like Lozano) for Beerschot. i remember that he once scored a last minute winning goal for Beerschot.

Jan Boskamp: came from Feyenoord. became my all time favourite player. Was the most important player for my favourite team RWDM (team does not exist anymore). The first foreigner to become player of the year.

Joe Jordan - My first anti-hero. Only Cyril Regis could head a ball like him.

Martin Buchan - The only defender that Kenny Dalglish couldn't better every game. Always finished the game with perfect hair and no mud on his shirt.

Remi Moses - Fuckin' animal.

Steve Coppell - gave me some custard creams when I was in Old Trafford lounge in 1978. My dad knew Les Olive.

Well, there's some to be honest.. But among the ones that some may have forgotten, there's Martin Laursen for sure.
I don't even know why I remember him this good, the only thing I know it's that for sure he was way better than Roque Junior..

Another player that I regard being good though not being that famous is Andres "Guly" Guglielminpietro. Those were the days when we actually were dangerous on aerial attacks, and this guy (despite not being rated that high) sent in several good balls to Bierhoff to smash home..

:LOL: Laursen and Guly. I really didn't like them. I rated Giunti and Contra back in the day. Contra was quite useful, I don't understand why we got rid of him.

Questionable Milan signings would be Roque Junior, Julio Cesar (defender) and Garcia (played 1 game then left).

My favourite would have to be Jose Mari!

Quite a bit of players jump to my mind.

Alexander Zickler - my favorite player when I started watching football.
He and Klinsmann seemed like the ideal duo up front. Unfortunately Klinsmann left a year later and Zicklers struggle with his many injuries began.

Oliver Kreuzer - very solid defender who just happened to play in a period where there were a good few amazing central defenders in Germany. Kohler, Sammer, Babbel, Helmer and even Matthäus often played this part in classy manner. This day and age a guy like Kreuzer would always start in internationals!

Michael Tarnat, Thorsten Fink - those two were transferred from Karlsruhe almost simultaneously and I remember well that the initial thought about them was: "They'll be bench warmers for sure". In fact they became regular starters and, despite being no spectacular players, always performed when it mattered most.

Mario Basler - a true genius on the right flank. Nowadays it is often said that there should be more characters like Basler in football. While I agree that it was always fun and joy to have a gifted and raw player in the team ... where did the road end for him? Successful he was, quite a bit, yeah. But he could've done so much more if it hadn't been for his temper and escapades.

Zickler was class! and i remember MTs left boot being brutal! He was flipping dangerous from long distance

From the last decade and a half mainly Bundesliga but also some Serie A:

Claudio Lopes, great little striker at Valencia, Lazio and Racing
Vladimir Jugovich superb stamina
Jurgen Kohler, top class defender at Dortmund
Mehdi Madavakia, had the game of his life for HSV v Juventus
Lars Ricken, the greatest player that never was!
Carstein Jancker, very aggressive player, looked brutal!
Jens Jeremies, left 1860 to go to Bayern, great midfielder, like a rat (in a good way)!
Dieter Eilts, probably Bremen's best ever player
Matthais Sammer, the best reader of the game I've ever seen
Pal Dardai, a true gentleman of the Bundesliga!
Matias Almedia, unsung hero at Lazio in the late 1990s
Steffen Effenberg, superb player should have played more internationals but for the indicent in 1995
Paolo Negro, as solid a defender as you could ever imagine
Michael Preetz, good striker for Hertha
Miroslav Djukic, great defender at Valencia
Dragan Stojkovic

Back
Top Bottom