EuroGamer Expo - Earls Court

Just got back from today. I had a fast track ticket to play PS4, so played some games there without having to queue for 234243234 hours.

Feel free to fire over any questions :D

Here are some short impressions on next gen:

PS4
The guy was saying that most of the PS4 demos were actually Dev 2 PC kits, so weren't proper PS4 versions of the game. Other than that, Killzone 4 looked pretty stunning - so did the new Need For Speed game. You can really notice the environments and details - especially things like rain and reflections.

I played a bit of FIFA and imo, sure the stadiums look nice and it's smoother than current gen, but overall the graphics aren't that big an improvement from playing view. The gameplay felt pretty much the same. I think it's probably EAs attempt to cash in on next gen from early adopters.

Assassins Creed and Warframe were very impressive. Incredible graphics overall. You can notice how there are more moving things around you, and so smoothly too.

Knack had some pretty bad framerates, and was a bit disappointing really, especially for an exclusive title

Xbox One
Forza 5 was amazing looking. So much going on and so much detail. Fable, looked like it was suffering issues with frame rates, and imo is a little odd.

Last edited:
Did you see any other Xbox stuff in action? Kinect etc

Are you getting the Ps4? If so when? Did it make you want to buy one straight away when thy come out?

TBH I think I'm going to hold off next gen for at least another 6 months. I really don't see a point in getting a launch console because of the following:

1) Hardware issues. Generally, 1st gen of new hardware has issues.
2) PS3/360 can still run amazing games. We've now seen TLOU, GTAV, Beyond Two Souls (played it today), Forza, GoW, Uncharted 3, KZ3 come out in the last couple of years and they're bloody excellent.
3) I saw framerate drops or choppy gameplay on at least 2 exclusive titles. One for PS4 and Xbone. I get the feeling both companies rushed development of these consoles. IMO they're a year too early.
4) Launch titles currently don't interest me.

I think the best strategy is to wait until more titles are out and after all issues are resolved by Sony/Microsoft.

Don't get me wrong, some of the graphics I was seeing was absolutely superb.

Last edited:
Did you get to have a look at Dead Rising 3?

Thinking of changing which launch games i get AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
What other games did you play? Did you take a look at BF4?

I couldn't see BF4 and Dead Rising 3 gameplay as the queue was massive and the screens were at an angle. I did see the new Wolfenstein though.

I spent most of my time in the PS4 zone as I had the fast track. I only watched some of the Xbox One games.

Eurogamer Expo – Review

The show was a bit of a shambles in all honesty as the amount of queuing involved was an absolute joke and I certainly won’t be going to the event again.

Games played:

XBOX:
Absolutely nothing, but this is because I have no interest in the console.

XBOX ONE:
FIFA 14
FORZA 5

PS3:
Gran Turismo 6
Beyond Two Souls
Dark Souls 2

PS4:
FIFA 14
Assassins Creed 4
Driving Game – That launch day one
War Machine
Watch Dogs – 15 minute video demo

PC:
Assassins Creed 4

Next-Gen Opinion:

Looks:
Out of the two consoles the XBOX ONE IMO def looked a lot better than the PS4, the XBOX looked like it would look really nice placed under the TV and does look pretty good, the PS4 though looks like a really cheap piece of matte plastic similar to the PS3 slims, it looked damn awful.

Controllers:
Dispite looking really ugly the PS4 controller was very nice to hold and felt it was a very nice controller, IMO it felt the best of the next gen controllers. The Xbone controller felt pretty much the same as the current Xbox controller, but was slightly more uncomfortable, but then this might be because I think the current Xbox controllers are probably the best and most comfortable controller ever released.

Graphics:
I went to the game show with 5 people and all of us thought the next gen systems were disappointing graphically (and no unlike me they are not PC players).
AC4 was better than the current gen, BF4 looked better but wasn’t breathtaking, most games looked better without ever making us go wow. Watch Dogs demo looked only slightly better than current gen PS3 games, I think this was due to maybe the games are just being quickly ported over to the next gen so they are out in time for launch, but why won’t consoles ever start using AA it makes an absolute massive difference.
I would put this down to the fact that the games I saw and played were just rushed ports to get the games out in time for release.
Forza 5 was probably the best looking of all the driving games I played, but TBH it didn’t look much better than GT6.

Games Played:

FIFA 14 Next Gen:

I only played 3 games of FIFA on the next gen systems, but I thought it was better than the current gen game. The game felt slower than the current gen, first touch of players was massively improved and player impact actually looked like it was present, I defienetly felt the game was better than current gen. The only downside to it though was the AI of your players was still as completely piss poor as current gen.
The graphics were also much better than current gen and the 3D crowd looks a lot better than the iron boards in the current version – This is def a day one buy for me as it played a lot better than the current gen.

Watch Dogs:
I have very mixed feelings after watching the 15 minute play through of Watch Dogs, first of everything is pretty much hackable and looked like a very over the top Person of Interest.
The multiplayer element to it though looked pretty kl, when your playing the game there are other characters like you who will join your game and as your playing the game they can track you down and hack you and then you have to stop the hack and try and track them down.
But it felt like this game is either going to be one the best games ever released or a complete pile of shite, as just because you can do it, doesn’t mean you should.

Assassins Creed 4:
Played this on both PC and PS4 and it felt pretty much the same as every other Assassins Creed game. In the demo you had to raid a castle so you started on a ship, so I got to try the new ship combat system which has been added to the game this year, during this it took a while to get used to it but after dying on my first attempt, 2nd time round I got the idea of it and was pretty simply after that.

I also stood and viewed people playing lots of other games on current gen and next gen, including BF4 on next gen.
The next gen version of BF4 looked better than current gen, but the biggest improvement on BF this year is that the next gen players get the PC game and not the god awful current gen game.

If you want me to elaborate anything just ask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom