EA Suffers loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonneymendoza

Legend
1 January 2004
Arsenal
Publisher posts disappointing holiday quarter, increases job cuts; game delays pull down full-year guidance to $4.2-$4.25 billion; Warhmmer OL subscribers drop to 300,000.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6204059.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

check the link above.

good that there in a mess. some of there decision making has been bizare and here are some to name a few that i myself think was bad decision making

1. Not making there sports games including fifa09 next gen for pc users while 2K Sports managed to bring nba2k9 in its next gen form as well as Pro evo 2009.
  2. Giving a big "FUCK YOU" to all true battlefield pc fans that made the franchise popular. EA diddnt bother making battlefield 3 and they diddnt even bring out a console port of bad company as well. O and bad company 2 is getting its next sequal too so no sign of battlefield 3 for pc users.
  3. delaying The sims 3(out feb 25th) and godfather pt2(out march/april) game till June because they want to"advertise the games more" even thought everyone knows that the sims franchise is one if, if not the post popular franchise ever created and doesnt need a 4 month delay to advertise the crap out of it
  4. My favourite one, forcing some people to pirate EA's pc games because of there brillient idea of allowing users to only install a pc game 3-5 times and having to have to activate the game online for a single player game(crysis 2 and spore to name a few). DRM For the loss and they say
  5. Laying off the whole flight sim franchise recently.
  6. Majority of there games being rehashed sequals(Need for Speed,EA US sports games being no more then rooster updated most of the time) that are full of bugs and not worth £40 over the previous game.
  7. Buying out almost every single small game companies like biowere etc without thinking how much of a gain or loss it could have on EA has a whole if things go tits.
These are some of the reasons on top of my head that i dont like about EA and some of the points mentioned could be some of the reasons why EA are in this mess as well as the recession being thrown at them but if you are a good company, the recession shouldnt affect you that much.

You're happy they're in a mess?

Let's wait until you're made redundant from your job due to the global recession, how'd you like it if we all gloat how happy we are your previous employer is in a mess?

Love them or hate them the industry and us as gamers need EA, a lot of smaller developers would have folded if they weren't under the EA wing, sure there are also developers who're worse off by being discarded by EA but considering how fragile an industry game developer has been for independents for the last few years there are some good developers still active who'd have folded with EA's support.

Give me EA's Fifa + Fight Night over the dirge that was 2k Sports' Prizefighter any day.

My wife was pretty close to a job at Black Box before we moved to Sweden, only work visa issues made it impossible at the time:

Sources within Black Box have told GameSpot that the developer has been hit by widespread layoffs, and at least 80 of its approximately 350 staffers have been sent packing. Online reports are painting an even more dire picture, with game-industry site Gamasutra pegging the number of redundancies at closer to 200--or nearly two-thirds of the studio's staff.

But hey, the big evil EA is having financial troubles, yippe........

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6204059.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

check the link above.

good that there in a mess. some of there decision making has been bizare and here are some to name a few that i myself think was bad decision making

1. Not making there sports games including fifa09 next gen for pc users while 2K Sports managed to bring nba2k9 in its next gen form as well as Pro evo 2009.
  2. Giving a big "FUCK YOU" to all true battlefield pc fans that made the franchise popular. EA diddnt bother making battlefield 3 and they diddnt even bring out a console port of bad company as well. O and bad company 2 is getting its next sequal too so no sign of battlefield 3 for pc users.
  3. delaying The sims 3(out feb 25th) and godfather pt2(out march/april) game till June because they want to"advertise the games more" even thought everyone knows that the sims franchise is one if, if not the post popular franchise ever created and doesnt need a 4 month delay to advertise the crap out of it
  4. My favourite one, forcing some people to pirate EA's pc games because of there brillient idea of allowing users to only install a pc game 3-5 times and having to have to activate the game online for a single player game(crysis 2 and spore to name a few). DRM For the loss and they say
  5. Laying off the whole flight sim franchise recently.
  6. Majority of there games being rehashed sequals(Need for Speed,EA US sports games being no more then rooster updated most of the time) that are full of bugs and not worth £40 over the previous game.
  7. Buying out almost every single small game companies like biowere etc without thinking how much of a gain or loss it could have on EA has a whole if things go tits.
These are some of the reasons on top of my head that i dont like about EA and some of the points mentioned could be some of the reasons why EA are in this mess as well as the recession being thrown at them but if you are a good company, the recession shouldnt affect you that much.

1. The PC market is tiny compared to the money Wii, PS and XB make for games.

2. Dice make the Battlefield series, and they own the rights to it, EA just publish it, and going on the sales of GTA IV on PC, I cant really see how anyone can think the PC is the best place to release games to make money. I seem to remember you enjoyed BFBC too.

3. When you start publishing games, lets see how well you do on the advertising front, a short delay to tweak the game and get the word out wont do it any harm, look at when Burnout was put back to January last year, did it harm that game?

4. They dont force people to pirate games, FFS how many times do you want to install a game? They arent the only company to mess up DRM, Steam uses it, 2K released the NBA 2K9 game and it wouldnt run on anyone's PC because of DRM.

5. MS have done the same mate, seems that area is dwindling.

6. The Need for Speed series has hit hard times, but for about 3 years it was the number 1 game at Christmas. As for there sports titles, FIFA has greatly improved, as has NHL recently. I dont like how they have the exclusive NFL licence, but that wasnt EA, that was the NFL touting it, EA wouldnt of bought it if NFL hadnt sold it like that.

7. Bioware werent a small company, and their proposed take over of 2K wasnt as if they were chasing a small company. Remember they aint even the biggest company anymore, Activision Blizzard is, and to be fair, Activision is a bigger update whore than EA.

Any company posting a loss in this economic climate just means they will be cutting back and therefore less work going about, and possibly less choice in the future, so expect the same fucking games year in year out.

Skate, Rock Band, Dead Space and Spore were all new IP EA published last year, and all got rave reviews.

Last edited:
I echo Holio's post. EA's new IP's in 2008 were fantastic. It is about time people stopped bitching about the mistakes made in the past, they don't "just" churn out the same game every year anymore. Their franchises get annual updates, but they are significant changes for the most part.

Your a twat mate.

1. The PC market is tiny compared to the money Wii, PS and XB make for games.

2. Dice make the Battlefield series, and they own the rights to it, EA just publish it, and going on the sales of GTA IV on PC, I cant really see how anyone can think the PC is the best place to release games to make money. I seem to remember you enjoyed BFBC too.

3. When you start publishing games, lets see how well you do on the advertising front, a short delay to tweak the game and get the word out wont do it any harm, look at when Burnout was put back to January last year, did it harm that game?

4. They dont force people to pirate games, FFS how many times do you want to install a game? They arent the only company to mess up DRM, Steam uses it, 2K released the NBA 2K9 game and it wouldnt run on anyone's PC because of DRM.

5. MS have done the same mate, seems that area is dwindling.

6. The Need for Speed series has hit hard times, but for about 3 years it was the number 1 game at Christmas. As for there sports titles, FIFA has greatly improved, as has NHL recently. I dont like how they have the exclusive NFL licence, but that wasnt EA, that was the NFL touting it, EA wouldnt of bought it if NFL hadnt sold it like that.

7. Bioware werent a small company, and their proposed take over of 2K wasnt as if they were chasing a small company. Remember they aint even the biggest company anymore, Activision Blizzard is, and to be fair, Activision is a bigger update whore than EA.

Any company posting a loss in this economic climate just means they will be cutting back and therefore less work going about, and possibly less choice in the future, so expect the same fucking games year in year out.

Skate, Rock Band, Dead Space and Spore were all new IP EA published last year, and all got rave reviews.

I echo Holio's post. EA's new IP's in 2008 were fantastic. It is about time people stopped bitching about the mistakes made in the past, they don't "just" churn out the same game every year anymore. Their franchises get annual updates, but they are significant changes for the most part.

is it ok to start calling people a twat especialy coming from mods from this forum? its fair that people wont support my opinion but is it right to start being rude to people?

well i have reported his post and hope you or someone else have a word on him.

I'm with jonney on this. Maybe you don't agree with his points, but try and show a little bit of respect. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I thought personal insults result in a ban? Plan M for one was banned on this basis.

Considering you're basically gloating at mass redundancies I would say twat sums it up pretty well.
but that doesn't give a "mod" the right to call someone a twat. fair enough people may not agree with me but personal insults in this forum is unacceptable according to forum rules. and passed bannings of members such as plan M , dj doc and others

mods calling people twats gives me , you and everyone else the impression that we can all start calling anyone a twat in this forum.

placebo, you seem to feel thats its fine to insult people here especialy coming from a mod by the sounds of things.

edit: im not happy that people are being made reduntant. i am amused that EA have lost A LOT of money and i imagine its because of poor sales figures in some of there titles or maybe working on too many projects/games and gaining a loss for it

Last edited:
placebo, you seem to feel thats its fine to insult people here especialy coming from a mod by the sounds of things.

If it's warranted then yes, in this case it's warranted, I prefer to judge things on a case by case basis.

Continuing to whine on become someone called you a name is just making you look that little bit sadder than your poorly written, poorly thought out, gleeful attempt to deride joy from other people's misery had already made you look.

If EA are losing money and laying off staff do you honestly in your whole, naively experienced life, believe that it's the decision makers, the big money earners, the causers of your wrath and ire that are the ones being laid off?

I don't think Jonney is right about EA and what he said.

But I do think that calling people names - especially by a mod isn't right.

Also Plan M and DjDoc - Did much more than call people names. They were in a little world of their own. So no comparison should be made there.

Jonney gave his opinion - some people are acting like he just shot a member of their family :ROLL:

The explanations by Holio and Placebo did very well to outline why Jonney might be wrong. But the personal stuff just goes a bit too far and is not needed.

Do you honestly think Jonney is happy at people being made redundant. Of course he isn't. He's just moaning about other stuff and having a paddy.
Very poor choice of words in my opinion. That's all.

Calling him a twat is out of order though (even if he is one ;) ). Just because somebody is a mod it doesn't mean they are above the law/rules or whatever you want to call it.

Same rules apply to everybody otherwise it is just double standards.

i was only amused by how ea have lost alot of money, not about the redundancy stuff. why would i be happy for that? i have family members who got made redundant and i feel for them.

i apologize for not explaining myself but i was no way laughing at the people who got made redundant.

i dont think i even mention that part of the article above stating how i am pleased and happy about the "job" side of things.

its not the programmers, designers and all other staff's fault that some of the products they made are bad "imo" or the fact that they have drm etc, its the managers and directors that are to blame for ea's mess. staff get told what to do whether its a good move or a bad move.

rooster update :)

rooster.jpg

I think EA have really developed as a video games company in the last few years. I've a lot of their games and I enjoy playing them a lot. Fifa 09 is a great game and, despite what you might think, a hell of a lot of work goes into it.

It's depressing when someone derives joy from news of companies in difficulty and redundancies. I'm not having a go at you Mendoza, listen son, one day when you grow up and leave school you'll have a job and then you'll understand how disconcerting it is to have this sort of unemployment prospect.

To be fair jonney, you do post some immature, unthoughtout, spur of the moment bollocks at the best of times. I can see why Holio said that, although I agree it wasn't the nicest way to say it. Most of us are grown up enough to trade a few insults without crying about it and calling for bannings etc.

The recession is affecting everyone and people aren't happy about it, if your post was misconstrued to be happy that someone's lost their job then it was a mistake and there's no need to get so eggy about it.

Just my view.

I'm not having a go at you Mendoza, listen son, one day when you grow up and leave school you'll have a job and then you'll understand how disconcerting it is to have this sort of unemployment prospect.

Is that sarcasm or truth? I thought he was older and had a job? If he's just a school kid then it explains a lot and I take back some of the harsher things I said.

I think EA have really developed as a video games company in the last few years. I've a lot of their games and I enjoy playing them a lot. Fifa 09 is a great game and, despite what you might think, a hell of a lot of work goes into it.

It's depressing when someone derives joy from news of companies in difficulty and redundancies. I'm not having a go at you Mendoza, listen son, one day when you grow up and leave school you'll have a job and then you'll understand how disconcerting it is to have this sort of unemployment prospect.
its obvious you are having a go at me in thinking that i am happy that people in ea have lost there jobs and proves that you diddnt even read this whole thread before posting.

go back to school and learn how to read mate instead of assuming a load of bollox on how im happy with people losing there jobs.

the snow is not as bad as monday and tuesday so you should stop bunking off school and go today. you may actualy brush up on your skills in reading/listening in a discussion before opening your mouth.

good luck

placebo, nothing has changed about you, you still talk as if your above everyone else with your, "im more intelligent and better then everyone" sort of attitude. its not just me you love talking down to, you do it to others so i wont bother arguing with you as nothing will change :YAWN:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom