E3 2018 discussion

Isslander

Gordon's alive!
3 August 2003
Iceland
Liverpool
The EA conference is going on now. They are leaning heavily into their newly acquired CL licence for Fifa, the smug bastards.

Also, a mention of Iceland being in the World Cup, not bad! Although the lady on stage is Icelandic.

I suggest watching the shows with the good people of www.giantbomb.com as they are all hilarious and provide great commentary. You can find the schedule on their front page.

Not really a fan of E3, but I am hoping for a new Splinter Cell announcement this week. Been too long since the excellent Chaos Theory.

No real surprises, I think Anthem looks pretty good, I will be following that. Quite Destiny-is but I prefer 3rd person games.

Unravel Two out now, that's neat, I never played Unravel though

Anthem look like Titanfall after watch gameplay demo imo, FIFA 19 with UCL give EA more money again. I'm waiting for Fallout 76, Rage 2 from Bethesda & TLOU Part II with new features. Hope so...

Sounds like the Xbox One X is going to have it's price reduced after E3.

$100 price decrease, now if the Xbox One X goes down to £350 then it all of a sudden becomes incredibly tempting.

Microsoft needs more than a price cut. They need games. Don't see a compelling reason to own an Xbox myself.

Having a look at the Xbox show, Microsoft have acquired Ninja Theory, that's a pretty big one.

Pretty good gig from Microsoft.

First look at this, can't wait.

Ninja Theory made DMC but DMC 5 seems to just be made by Capcom, at least it was not presented as an exclusive

Last edited:
Decent show but not great. Even though Microsoft liked to patronize its fans and throw the word exclusive in front of everything, most of what they showed will be on other platforms. The other actual "exclusive" stuff looked either bit rubbish or designed for a younger crowd. Only AAA stuff they showed was the usual suspects; Halo, Gears and Forza. Where would Microsoft be with those tired franchises.

The problem that Microsoft have is that they wasted 4 years (2 Years pre-launch and 2 Years after launch) on all of the this is a media/entertainment box stuff, while Sony focused in on games and got their first party studios working on exclusive titles which would take them through this entire generation, microsoft have been left behind.

It was good to see the studios that they have bought into the fold yesterday but the fruits off this labour will take 2-3 years to be seen so my guess is that they are priming everything for their next generation off hardware.

What exclusives do Sony have though apart from the Naughty Dog games?

I wouldn't say Microsoft wasted time making the Xbox a much better system to use in terms of features, they built a top media centre with the Xbox One.

I think they failed by making the system initially less powerful than the PS4. People are always going to initially buy the more powerful machine.

But yeah the Microsoft exclusives aren't great - Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is something they recently bought the rights too, but that runs like a dog on Xbox.

What exclusives do Sony have though apart from the Naughty Dog games?

I wouldn't say Microsoft wasted time making the Xbox a much better system to use in terms of features, they built a top media centre with the Xbox One.

I think they failed by making the system initially less powerful than the PS4. People are always going to initially buy the more powerful machine.

But yeah the Microsoft exclusives aren't great - Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is something they recently bought the rights too, but that runs like a dog on Xbox.

Exclusives just from the top of my head excluding the Uncharted games
God Of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Spiderman
The Last of Us
Death Stranding
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Nier Automata
Until Dawn
Detroit Becoming Human
Yakuza series

The Last of Us is Naughty Dog as well, and wasn't there something about Nier coming to Xbox as well? But yes, an altogether more impressive list.

The only thing I feel I am missing from not having an Xbox is Cuphead.
And that may have been what was missing from the Xbox thing, a compelling reason for people on the fence to make the jump. Like the Ninja Theory thing I mentioned before, if they could have come straight out with 'We got Ninja Theory and DMC 2 will be exclusive on Xbox!' instead of all this Console launch exclusive stuff.

Cyberpunk 2077 trailer look incredible :SHOCK: CD Projekt RED working perfect right now. I see Halo & Forza are only 2 exclusive games succesfull from Xbox at this time, PUBG mobile better than Xbox version and I prefer buy strong smartphone instead of buy Xbox One S :D to play this game

I couldn't possibly care less about pubg or fortnite or all that stuff. Xbox can have that pubg console exclusivity for eternity for all I care.

No Red Dead at Microsoft, so most likely at the Sony gig.

Next up though, Ubisoft

Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks pretty good although the stuff in the trailer doesn't seem to make much sense. Also, why is it a prequel, Whyyyyyyyy

Sony's thing is actually in a tent this year, they weren't kidding when they said it would be different.
Neat connection with the first Last of Us video, though, man, Naughty Dog makes video game faces like no one else, incredible
Rest of the game doesn't look half bad either, it fact it looks incredible.

Last edited:
Bit of an odd show because of the moving of the crowd after the first trailer, but a lot of exciting games. I will deffo get Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man, that Resi 2 Remake looks pretty sweet as well.
Death Stranding stuff was a bit underwhelming.

The problem that Microsoft have is that they wasted 4 years (2 Years pre-launch and 2 Years after launch) on all of the this is a media/entertainment box stuff, while Sony focused in on games and got their first party studios working on exclusive titles which would take them through this entire generation, microsoft have been left behind.

It was good to see the studios that they have bought into the fold yesterday but the fruits off this labour will take 2-3 years to be seen so my guess is that they are priming everything for their next generation off hardware.

Microsfot has always been playing a different ball game than Sony tbh, Microsoft basically entered the market knowing that in in 20 years time it would have gone almost totally digital so they are basically developing and testing infrostructures and business models and acquiring whatever they think interesting for the long run. Next gen hardware will be the last.

By mid 2020es MS will be so ahead of SONY in the digitalization of its own services that they will be leading the "non hardware driven" market from the late 2020es on. The real question market wise is what Apple will do, because make no mistake about it, when the hardware is gone and full digitalization is on Apple will be a major player.

We are in a transition time, our grandchildren will have no idea what a console is, like our children have no idea about music tapes :-)

Decent show I suppose by Sony. They're in the Catbird Seat, so... Confusing structure to the show at the beginning though. TLOU2 and Ghost looked great. The other stuff? meh. No Splinter Cell.:(

So Madden 19 is coming on PC.

I don't even know how to play Madden or how the game works, but I guess it's time to tackle players and beat them into pulp. Can't wait.

Ghost of Tsushima stole the show for me absolutely gutted I dont have a PS4 pro

Microsoft just bringing out the same old rehashed really but Forza Horizon 4 looks sweet with the British map and Edinburgh

Death Stranding'll be GOTY with Hideo Kojima. All games he made so incredible & fantastic no word to describe.

I am a bit bummed that Cyperpunk will be 1st person. But thankfully I am a lot more into first person games now than 2-3 years ago.

I still have no idea how Death Stranding will play. Kojima said there will be weapons and enemies, but that killing enemies is not the focus. I'm a bit worried he still didn't show actual gameplay, something that is more than just walking with a backpack.

That's still in working progress but yeah I don't know all thing Kojima said in E3 the translator seat near him tranlated right?

pmv5fduktr111.jpg

Now i'm waiting for Bloodborne 2 and PUBG :D

Back
Top Bottom