Don King Presents: Prizefighter (Xbox 360/Wii/DS))

money_bribery.jpg

I'm buying this game for the Don King name alone. Whatever it about that man he always makes me want to spend wads of cash for months of buildup then a few minutes of actual entertainment. It's great.

Yeah opinion is fairly divided on the 2k forums but majority are saying it's poor, user opinion is something like: 15% good to great, 30% utter shit, 55% average to not great........

Apparently the learning curve is very steep, from what I'm reading it's best to go straight into the story mode rather than fighting exhibitions between the licensed boxers as story mode will teach you how to box/move/defend etc. etc.

Also apparently the stats for the licensed boxers are abysmal, Shannon Briggs has high stamina! Samuel Peter has low strength!

For those who've been somewhat enjoying it the advice is:

1. Forget fight night, don't play it like fight night, don't think it's anything like fight night.

2. Be patient, take your time to study the controls, try to be defence and focus on moving around the ring first and to get used to blocking and leaning.

3. Time your punches very carefully and don't throw too many in one go as you'll use up stamina very quickly and become slower to move around and such.

I'll find out myself a little later how good/bad it is........

For those who've been somewhat enjoying it the advice is:

1. Forget fight night, don't play it like fight night, don't think it's anything like fight night.

2. Be patient, take your time to study the controls, try to be defence and focus on moving around the ring first and to get used to blocking and leaning.

3. Time your punches very carefully and don't throw too many in one go as you'll use up stamina very quickly and become slower to move around and such.

I'll find out myself a little later how good/bad it is........

Look forward to reading your impressions, I might pop to Blockbuster on Friday to see if I can rent this.

The legend himself has spoken:-

“I am thrilled to be an integral part of this monumental entertainment experience,” said legendary boxing promoter Don King. “I have applied all my decades of boxing insight to inspire and elevate Don King Presents: Prizefighter beyond anything fans of the sport have ever experienced before.”

With words like that I'm almost tempted to go out and buy the game right now (even though I no longer own an Xbox), it could be good on the Wii, I'll wait and see reviews of that.

IGN gave it 5/10 and Gamespot gave it 5.5/10 oh dear. :LOL:

Expected better from 2k animation looks awful what have they done.

I'm up to my 5th career fight and really not impressed at all. Very poor quality game.

-Graphics are awful considering the power of the 360.

-Animations very, very bad, would expect them to be on current gen, next gen should be so much better, game should have fully motion captured animations with smooth transitions and perfect hit detection.

-Punch contact is very badly done, so far I've managed to knock a guy down with a punch that completely missed his head and hit him as I was pulling my arm back and another that hit him on the shoulder. I'd say at least 1/3 of my punches don't make real contact yet it acts as if they do.

-Staggering about all over the place when hitting with a hook, awful, looks arcade.

-Far too many knockdowns in fights, in my 3rd fight I knocked my opponent down 9 times over 5 rounds, finally the fight was called off, (I'm playing on Amateur to get used to the game following reports from people of how steep the learning curve is, but even so, 9 knockdowns before it's over? Even in Fight Night I never had that many).

-No way to change camera angles, one camera only? That's ridiculous.

-Where's the custom music option for the ringwalk? Why can't I choose my own music for the ringwalk? Weren't we told that was possible? All I can do is choose a few crappy tracks from a menu.....

-Licensed fighters may as well not be licensed at all, appearances are rudimentary, styles are non existent and the stats appear to be complete random, certainly bear no relation at all to their real life counterparts.

-Forced arcade elements such as adrenaline and rage punches, why force that on us? What happened to user choice? Why can't we disable the HUD?

-Ring is waaaaaay too small.

Best thing about the game? CAB design.

Worst thing about the game? Aesthetics and gameplay.

Ratings:

Audio: 5/10 Adequate, no more, no less.

Visual: 4/10 This does not look like a 2008 next gen game, shame they apparently spent more money on licenses than artists in the team. Graphics/textures very poor, animations are awful.

Longevity: 4/10 Once the story mode is completed there's little left to do, online will be full of glitchers as usual.

Overall I'd say the game is about a 4/10, not impressed. Clearly this is behind Fight Night in terms of a visual experience, enjoyment wise I've played a lot of boxing games I enjoyed more, HBO Boxing on the PS1, 4D Boxing on the Amiga, TV Sports Boxing (aka ABC wide world of sports boxing) on the PC/Amiga, Knockout Kings, Fight Night, the list goes on. People always told me that if 2k did a boxing game it would be an amazing game, would be a real simulation of the sport that impressed in all areas, sadly that prediction was off the mark in every area.

I did actually, a few days ago, I think it's more the point that every time someone posted something dumb like the licensed boxers were just like real life, or the game was an amazing sim, I was compelled to reply that no the licensed boxers did not look like real life, did not fight with their real styles nor did they even have stats that remotely reflected real life.

And of course as to the sim aspect, there's loads of reasons why the game is not close to a boxing sim, or even a polished game come to that, the animations and hit detection has to be seen to be believed, the first time you knock someone down by throwing a punch, missing, then as you're drawing your arm back your fist then connects and knocks them down is a hilarious moment in gaming history!

I really hate the way some places cover up negative critcism people should be allowed to express opinions negative or positive.

Surely its only in best interest of 2k afterall. ? its like they have something to hide does me head in.

I'm waiting for them to release a demo, when it's played by a wider circle of people they're going to get absolutely slaughtered...........

Not that I've been following this game that closely, but I was absolutely amazed to see it in ASDA last night.

I even said out loud "blimey, they sneaked that out" :LOL:

No press hype, no reviews... bound to be a stinker.

Demo available on xbl.
It´s one of the worst games i´ve ever played. Animations are so stiff that i can´t believe it really is a 2K game, what the hell happened there?.

My guess would be they gave Venom a very strict timeframe and budget and really wanted to do it on the cheap to see if sales were there to warrant investing further in a boxing franchise, that's what the quality of the game says to me. However that's contradicted by the rumoured $1,000,000 they paid to Don King for the license, imagine how good the game could have been if the $1m had been used solely on development costs only, boggles the mind.

Sales are currently at 40k, I hope they lost a shit load of money on this insult to gamers and boxing fans.

Ah great stuff! I might pick this up on the Wii when it eventually comes out. If I wait a few months it should go down in price.

Back
Top Bottom