Defenders Diving ?

SaintScott

League 1
17 December 2002
Southampton, finally.
I've just been looking at one of the Leipzig match videos on the WENB site, seeing Ronaldo and Quaresma racking up the bookings for diving

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/

and I've been sitting here thinking about a potential problem with the diving feature.

Firstly, I think it's great that we have the option to do it, and it's good that you seem to get punished almost all of the time, but...

...can defenders "dive" just like attackers in PES2008 ? Can players dive when the ball is NEAR or do they actually have to be dribbling with the ball ?

I've just got this horrible feeling that people are going to start sacrificing yellow cards by diving their defenders to concede deliberate fouls when their opponent has certain goals (eg a player is has gone around the keeper for a tap in).

Of course the defender will get booked for the dive, but it will nevertheless avoid a certain goal being scored.

The game then restarts with an indirect free kick after the yellow card (which makes things worse, it's not even a penalty). I wonder if Konami has dealt with this, or if anyone has seen evidence that only a player in possession of the ball can dive or otherwise ?

I'm sure you'll only be able to dive when you've got the ball, in the same way you can't do a slide tackle when you're in possesion.

so if a defender dives in his own box and gets caught cheating would the ref have to give a penalty to the attacking team by the letter of the law? or would it be an indirect kick? im not too sure about the rules in this situation in real life.

Im thinking that you will only be able to dive when you are on the half of your opponent and have the ball at your feet...

would be a major setback if you could dive as a defender

I'm sure you'll only be able to dive when you've got the ball, in the same way you can't do a slide tackle when you're in possesion.

I agree! It make more sense!

So I can dribble the keeper, set an open goal and dive just like Gilardino did against Celtic?? :D xD that would be fun!!

Last edited:
so if a defender dives in his own box and gets caught cheating would the ref have to give a penalty to the attacking team by the letter of the law? or would it be an indirect kick? im not too sure about the rules in this situation in real life.

The laws of the game AND the PES2008 Leipzig video I've seen both restart after dives with an indirect free-kick.

There's the usual goal icon with a cross through it to illustrate indirect on the in-game video.

I hope they've sorted it too.

Last edited:
Well you can only dive on the ball that makes sense, who cares where on the pitch though, it can be done anyway on the pitch in real life...

I agree! It make more sense!

So I can dribble the keeper, set an open goal and dive just like Gilardino did against Celtic?? :D xD that would be fun!!

:lol:

That was the worst dive ever! Plus he had an open goal!

Back
Top Bottom