Cristiano Ronaldo wins PFA 'Player of the Year' award 2007

Ronaldo fully deserved to be voted player of the year, i feel a litle bit sorry for Drogba however...i think he was outstanding too...he was a very good second...but the winner takes it all...

El Diego, Rune and others, the Portugese league maybe shit (i'm not sure about that), but it's a fact that Portugese teams are over-achieving in the European clubs...
When Porto won the CL they had the same budget as Anderlecht...if you know that Larsson when he played for Celtic, earned more than Anderlecht first team together...well then you can say that Porto was fantastic...
Considering the fact that virtually all the players of that CL winning team left Porto...they did very well in the CL this year...i rate clubs like Sporting, Benfica and Porto very high...like i've said countless times...give them the same budget as Man Utd and they will do as good as English clubs now...and i assure you that Ronaldo would not play for Man Utd or Deco for Barcelona...

Still: congratulations to Ronaldo (and sorry to go off-topic with my usual rant).

Ronaldo fully deserved this award
Drogba also deserved it, he made a fantastic season, but ronaldo has just been unstopable

El Diego, those commentaries are really stupid. but that's your opinion, your entitled to it. but still, very stupid. it shows your absolute lack football culture
if portuguese teams had half the budget that english clubs have we probably won an european competition each year
it's funny that man utd's best player came for this "shoddy league". but i guess you're right. you've clearly shown that you know a lot about football....

Perhaps there's something in the water in Portugal, but hasn't the lack of success of Real, Man Utd, Chelsea and Inter in the CL shown that money doesn't actually but titles? I think it's a bit naive to think that because a team does well with its budget an influx of money would enable them to move to the next level in of itself.

Personally I think the reason the portugese teams do well in the competitions is because of the style of football they play. It also goes a long way to show how little there is between two teams across Europe on any given day.

I also think if you took Benfica and Sporting or Porto and threw them into one of hte big leagues they'd perform much more to their budget position, over the course of a season. Would be intersting to see anyway!

money doesn't earn titles on it's own but it surely is very important
portuguese clubs will never have the money to buy a "superstar"
they have to raise their own talents instead of buying them (which is rich clubs do)
porto won the CL without any big name but now their manager and their best players at the time are well known (r.carvalho, deco, maniche, ferreira)
porto sold them for a lot of money to stabilize their financial situation. portuguese clubs are very little money to spend, they're exporters and not importers

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Cristiano Ronaldo's moves are "forced"? like they don't come natural. I find him so artificial..

Considering the fact that virtually all the players of that CL winning team left Porto...they did very well in the CL this year...i rate clubs like Sporting, Benfica and Porto very high...like i've said countless times...give them the same budget as Man Utd and they will do as good as English clubs now...and i assure you that Ronaldo would not play for Man Utd or Deco for Barcelona...
If they dont have the money, they cant progress at the level that Spanish, English, Italian teams do. I know its sad but thats just the way it is and we have to live with it.

Am I the only one who thinks Cristiano Ronaldo's moves are "forced"? like they don't come natural. I find him so artificial..
What do you mean?

I know exactly what you mean. And yes, they are.

I usually talk about this when comparing Michael Jordan to other players. MJ's moves were fluid, natural, full of grace. Others look forced, clunky. (would express myself better in portuguese). :)

But he's a great player anyway.

Completely agree with you...i can't explain why but i agree...and yes compare him to naturals like Jordan, Best, and even Quaresma and you see that his movements are forced. I don't like watching him...

Of course this subjective impression does not diminish his value: he's probably the best player in the world at the moment (he or Kaka).

If they dont have the money, they cant progress at the level that Spanish, English, Italian teams do. I know its sad but thats just the way it is and we have to live with it.

The level that SOME English, Spanish and Italian teams do....
Basically you're talking about: Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter, Juve and Roma, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia...

I could live with the way you say thing are if indeed all those English, Spanish and Italian clubs (all = the entire league) could dominate...but now when club is doing well at the time of bingo it becomes a super rich club...that's not fair...imagine the television contracts in the seventies or the eighties instead of the early nineties...i can assure you that Man Utd would have fared less good...(Man Utd is only an example to prove my point). Once again (i know it's boring, but true): look at American sports...this would never happen in America.

Teams from the lesser rich countries can only win the CL with a outstanding coach, and a extraordinary team of young talents from the own soil and some great teamleaders. See Ajax 1995: Van Gaal; Seedorf, Davids, Overmars, Kluivert, Litmanen, F. De Boer, R. De Boer; Blind and Rijkaard. FC Porto 2004: Mourinho; Carvalho, Deco, Ferreira, Maniche; Costa and Costinha.

But it doesnt matter if they win, they'll just lose their players the next season. How are they supposed to hold on to them if their team plays outside England, Spain and Italy?

And that Rune, is a bad thing for football in the long term...in American sports (here i go again, i know) the minnows of today are tomorrow's heroes...People will get bored if it turns out that only 7 or 8 clubs can win the CL...of course it's splendid for the fans of those clubs...but i'm not sure if you won't get tired after the umpteenth Man Ut - Milan or (what you will find worse) Liverpool-Chelsea...
Now somebody has said that these clubs always were big clubs (which isn't necessary true: look at Chelsea), but the thing is that the big clubs from litle leagues no longer are big clubs. Clubs like Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica, Red Star Belgrade, Dynamo Kiev to name just a few...

It's been like that for ages though. I think it will get worse too. The G14 were talking about a break away league? We've got it already.

Agreed. I don't particularly enjoy watching him because of this. Most of his moves are badly timed and without substance to be honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom