Chatbox Swearing

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
Dear Admins/Mods,

After going to Evo Web on a PC I hadn't used before yesterday, (meaning I had to log in first), and seeing the main page I noticed that the chatbox wasn't visible to non members. I thought the reason we aren't allowed to swear in the chatbox was because people could see it and sponsors could see it? But if it's only visible once logged in then I move for a re-think on the no swearing rule, and call for swearing to be allowed in the chatbox! :DD

Thoughts?

Dear Tim, :)

Initially it was because of that but a recent upgrade meant we could filter it out.

However, speaking for myself, I have no plans to allow swearing in there because it is still the first thing people see once they sign in, new members too and filling it full of swearing is just going to be rubbish.

Secondly, swearing on the site in general isn't used excessively, just to make a point, which is how it should be. The instantaneous style of the chatbox would mean that it could very easily degenerate into a swearing match, which again, is pointless and would add nothing to the site.

My own point of view is that keeping it swear-free helps keep it mostly positive.

Dear Mart, (ooh it's like snail mail isn't it :DD)

I see your points about trying to keep things positive. Hmm, a tricky one. I wouldn't have thought it would end up just being a drunken sweary mess, and as it's right at the bottom of the main page not many people actually know it's there. Took a few people a few months before they realised :LOL:. Maybe as it's been filtered out of non-members we could do a trial of allowing swearing and see how it goes?

Yours sincerely,

Tim Seven

Why is swearing so fucking important? ;)

There is no need for it and people who register and see a chatbox full of "fucking Charlton shit again, oh Jonney get your fucking knickers on, cock cock cock cock cock" (and that's how it will be, the novelty wouldn't wear off for a long time) will just think, where have I registered here, PESfan? And they won't come back.

It's not needed, as simple as that. The whole purpose of it is to chat with a wide range of people you haven't got on your contacts list. If you desperately have to swear to them you can always PM with them - a bit like snail mail, a bit like this thread. :)

Your all so vulgar

Why cant we just have a swear filter?

and before CB says "but we will have people going Tw@ts and C u n t s" we can still have a non swearing rule in the chatbox but at least we can let it all our anger out by typing the actual word instead of :censor:

:))

Last edited:
Why use the chatbox to let your anger out? Go and have a wank or something.

but at least we can let it all our anger out by typing the actual word instead of :censor:

:))
Yeah, that's the most fucking infuriating bit, having to type out : c e n s o r :, when I could have just said fuckin hell!

How about a watershed then? No swearing before 9pm UK Time? As this is a UK based site.

UK based the site's domain may be but the community itself isn't. I honestly don't see what we'd gain from changing the way it is at the moment. If you feel you have to swear every time you type I don't think it's the site that needs to change.

UK based the site's domain may be but the community itself isn't. I honestly don't see what we'd gain from changing the way it is at the moment. If you feel you have to swear every time you type I don't think it's the site that needs to change.

:oooh:

Did I say I need to swear every time I type?

I just think it would be better than seeing loads of :censor: icons everywhere, and be easier.

Why dont we just tell Tim swearing is allowed and when he does it ban him?

Don't tell him it was my idea though :SHHH:

I'm with Mart on this. Its barely hard work to add a smiley or to just not swear at all. It might even be better the way it is since we can reduce our swearing.

Dear Mart, (ooh it's like snail mail isn't it :DD)

I see your points about trying to keep things positive. Hmm, a tricky one. I wouldn't have thought it would end up just being a drunken sweary mess, and as it's right at the bottom of the main page not many people actually know it's there. Took a few people a few months before they realised :LOL:. Maybe as it's been filtered out of non-members we could do a trial of allowing swearing and see how it goes?

Yours sincerely,

Tim Seven

i have been a member since 2003? and only april this year i found out about this chatbox LOL

Can we make the Censor smiley so we only have to write : C : then it will be quicker to note down rather than typing : censor :

Not that it makes that much difference, as I just typed censor then really fast :-pp

Or change it to : TIM : seeing as we've already got : CW : and : JAY :, then we'd have a complete set. :lol:

Let's allow the swearing. I'd really like that. U can't even say shit there..i mean? What the cock is going on?

Ive been given a few warnings and even a ban for swearing in the Chatbox, :LOL: Its not instinctive thinking of typing ":Censor:" rather than "Fuck and Shit" for example :))

Back
Top Bottom