Chatbox II

Mart

Executive Janitor
Staff
28 February 2002
NYC
Darlington FC
Ok, here's the deal. While I'm sure you think we yoinked the chatbox and then just sat there watching the fallout I've been looking into different ones while we all had a big chat about what to do.

From now on the chatbox is part of the forums in its content, which means that all of those freshly amended forum rules apply. Falling foul of the rules anywhere results in the same warning / temporary ban / permanent ban process.

No one has been banned as a result of what happened in the last chatbox but a few of the replies to the chatbox disappearing were out of order - use of the chatbox isn't a right for a chosen few, it's a privilege open to every member if they wish to use it. Anyway, enough of that.

The new chatbox is currently only accessible on the forum navbar (User CP, FAQ...) where it defaults to as it has its own page. That's why it's bigger etc.

I'm trying to see if I can modify it so people who want a smaller version on the front page of the forums can enable the option in their profile - that way it will only appear for people who want it, reducing the server load compared to the last chatbox and the like. If I can't do that I might see if a placement in a forum would be better if at all - is a standalone page alright as it is?

The new chatbox is a better product with its archive/search options and better featured so links work, for example.

Please use this thread for any feedback about it.

Its like a new improved chatbox! nice one.

I think the only thing that will be dissapointing is that there is less chance of new people using it. So we wont meet any new people.

Last edited:
Ok, here's the deal. While I'm sure you think we yoinked the chatbox and then just sat there watching the fallout I've been looking into different ones while we all had a big chat about what to do.

From now on the chatbox is part of the forums in its content, which means that all of those freshly amended forum rules apply. Falling foul of the rules anywhere results in the same warning / temporary ban / permanent ban process.

No one has been banned as a result of what happened in the last chatbox but a few of the replies to the chatbox disappearing were out of order - use of the chatbox isn't a right for a chosen few, it's a privilege open to every member if they wish to use it. Anyway, enough of that.

The new chatbox is currently only accessible on the forum navbar (User CP, FAQ...) where it defaults to as it has its own page. That's why it's bigger etc.

I'm trying to see if I can modify it so people who want a smaller version on the front page of the forums can enable the option in their profile - that way it will only appear for people who want it, reducing the server load compared to the last chatbox and the like. If I can't do that I might see if a placement in a forum would be better if at all - is a standalone page alright as it is?

The new chatbox is a better product with its archive/search options and better featured so links work, for example.

Please use this thread for any feedback about it.

Thanks Mart!

I like that idea in bold above, as a standalone page I fear we'll miss a lot of new members or members who want to drop in, say hi, or ask a question.

• Staff
Its like a new improved chatbox! nice one.

I think the only thing that will be dissapointing is that there is less chance of new people using it. So we wont meet any new people.
I'm thinking of putting together a PM that people get when they register pointing stuff like the chatbox out.

We could probably also have more links to it and the like. Early days yet. :)

All thats needed now is a link on the navbar back to the main forums because there is no way to get back when your in the chatbox section

All thats needed now is a link on the navbar back to the main forums because there is no way to get back when your in the chatbox section

Click the little Blue folder next to Evo-Web Forums above user cp.

You can now choose chatboxy styles from the style chooser on the bottom left of the page to give you front page chatbox action. Good or bad?

Back
Top Bottom